Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: STEINWAY PIANOS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:41 am 

Are steinway pianos the best pianos in the world? How do Yamaha and Kawaii pianos compare to them? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:57 pm 

In my opinion, yes. Steinway are in general the best pianos in the world. But there are pianos which are more specific that can beat Steinway in specific things, like Sauter, Petrof, Estonia etc. just to mention a few. I think Yamaha and Kawai are the same type of piano as the Steinway (universal), but not that great quality. For the price, however, they are a bargain.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:39 pm 
steinways are not bad. most responsive touch in the world, supposedly.

yamaha is trashy. i broke 3 loops of strings in less than 365 days, juiced countless tuning pins, broke 1 spring, dislocated 1 centre-pin, made the tone go from mellow to harsh in a year, and loosened a few keys here and there. and made the low D slightly stuck.

in my opinion, boesendorfer makes really hardy pianos. give them the right conditions, they're a machine. almost unbreakable.boesendorfers and faziolis have gigantic soundboards. fazioli got uber long piano :D 3 metres!

stuart and sons also coming in. looks excellent. beautiful custom made pianos. i can go to their website for half a day and just listen to the beautiful music and drool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:42 am 

Quote:
yamaha is trashy. i broke 3 loops of strings in less than 365 days, juiced countless tuning pins, broke 1 spring, dislocated 1 centre-pin, made the tone go from mellow to harsh in a year, and loosened a few keys here and there. and made the low D slightly stuck.

burobbi, are you sure that your key touch is ok? What you wrote sounds so terrible that I would avoid letting you play on my piano, really...

1. In my opinion, size does matters for grands (and uprights!). I would prefer a concert grand yamaha by far before a baby grand steinway, for instance.

2. The quality of the action. There are good and bad ones. A new Renner action works wonder even on old grands, I know from own experience. Steinway provides Renner action, same seem to do some other manufacturers.

3. The quality of the tone. Is there a long sustain for all keys or does the tone disappear fast? Is the sound too harsh, too mellow, can the sound color be changed through the dynamic ranges? For instance, on the treble strings there is an area the strings ring with double frequency on the bridge. If one hits the key and plugs this additional string area e.g. with a plectrum, one can compare if it rings with double frequency. If it is so, the sound will be enriched, if not, some piano tuners prefer to damp that area with felt instead having wolfes tones. Steinway grands are known for their crystal clear treble sound, maybe because the frame is excellent balanced for that.

If I were in a position to choose a grand piano I would check above mentioned points, and not a certain brand, and not a certain age. Maybe one can save lot of money that way. At the end what counts is if one feels very comfortable while playing and if it sounds good and not that there is a certain brand label on the keboard flap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

I bought my Yamaha C2 grand piano brand new six years ago, and I still love it. It has beautiful sound and I've never had a problem with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:08 pm 
my piano is second hand, just a few years old, but reconditioned.

perhaps i play too hard on my piano. for the past year i've been playing things like islamey, la campanella, rigoletto paraphrase, and trying things like don juan fantasy.

most people do complain that i trash pianos much. sometimes i'm afraid to play too loud on a piano because i know i've broken strings before and i'm afraid to break other people's strings. so unless yours is a boesendorfer or a really heavy hardy piano, don't let me play those technical warhorses on it! (:

but think of it, my piano might have been too light. i know a piano teacher in singapore, also a concert pianist- ong lip tat- he uses a boesendorfer WITH ADDED WEIGHTS (:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:11 pm 
For some reason a 6 foot Mason and Hamlin can sound better than a 9 foot Yamaha. Mason and Hamlin's have a very juicy tone quality unique to any piano I've ever played.

One thing about Stienways is they have longevity... we use one to this day at our school from the 1930's and its one of the nicest in the fleet...

Also it is a personal choice, jazz musicians tend to prefer the brilliance of the Yamaha... I personally find it hollow... yet Sviatoslav Richter preferred Yamaha and was an amazing classical pianist... I believe Marta Argerich used Yamaha as well... so its ultimately a personal choice...

Avoid Chinese and Korean pianos however, for some reason when they come over seas they are no good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:20 pm 

I have seen that freddy kempf playing on a yamaha and wibi C bechstein. I think they are all very well.

I love boesendorfer. In my heart I feel something boiling if I hear the name boesendorfer

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:07 am 

rachmaninoff wrote:
I love boesendorfer. In my heart I feel something boiling if I hear the name boesendorfer

I just thought this was funny :D

anyway.. I own a keyboard at my house that I practice on, and then I mess with pedals, etc at school on one of the pianos they have around there... my practicing is really weird... If i knew what the piano I like to play on was, though, I would tell you. It's really wonderful and when I press the keys, I don't really have to press too hard. However, no matter how hard I press, the sound kind of goes away pretty quick.. but I prefer it because I'm so far the only person in that damn school that can make it actually sound good.

Just a question since we're talking about pianos..

do they ever say "this piano brand is perfect for playing Chopin" or "This is the best Bach piano" or assign like.. you know.. like which pianos get a REALLY awesome effect from the music played?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:27 am 
Site Admin

A 'Chopin piano' hehehe that would be nice.
When I bought my Gaveau grand I was told it was especially suited to French music. Why that should be so has always eluded me (except that it is a French make of course). It sounds just as well in Rachmaninov and Bach although for Bach it should be a bit brighter and lighter.

In the end though, it is probably the player rather than the piano making the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

I remember reading that Chopin preferred Pleyel piano to anything else but he also liked Erard. The reasons were that when he was feeling weak, he played on the Erard because it had a ready tone (not sure what that means) maybe it's because it has a very light touch? He played Pleyel pianos when he really wanted to pour out his emotions and command the piano; make it do all that he asked of it. (which is a lot!) Anyway I hope I don't have this information mixed up. Can't find where I read that right now.

Just another thought: When I am sitting at my piano, it sounds a certain way to me, but when someone else is playing and I am across the room, it sounds very different. Accoustics have a lot to do with the piano tone too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:37 pm 
I've played on yamaha, kawai, and steinway, and I myst say steinway is far better than the other. True, its expensive, but what's brilliant about steinways is that the value rises year by year because steinway purposely does not produce enough pianos to meet market demand. That's why I play on a 1750's model m steinway.

absolutely wonderful. rich, thick tone, with enough resistance to produce small, subtle tones perfect for impressionistic works.

just for the record - steinways account for 93% of the world's leading concert halls. There must be a reason for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

britishaznerd wrote:
That's why I play on a 1750's model m steinway.

1750's? Really? I didn't know Steinways were around then. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:14 pm 
woops meant 1950 steinway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:35 pm 

I add weights behind the piano keys(yamaha g3) for last 15 years. Its around 10% heavier compared to full size grand. Even now days, my finger is strong so as my kids-they all trained on the same grand. When comes to stage, I have no worries to excute my reportories with ease. Of couse, gravity playing is the key point.
For those, playing so hard that break the strings...by force. I can not imagine the sound they tried to project...

Sound shoud be either melow(very close to the keys) or crisp but not harsh....

Even now days, I against anyone "bang on the piano" or its just the wrong approach. We aimed to make music thru the piano but not to make "mechanical sound" that is HARSH, and unberable...

Perhaps, you should write your own style " heavy metallica"....

Sorry for the pianos who has been bashed. Pehaps you should use a hammer smash up all the keys.... or give the piano to me instead.

Thans for reading and hopefuuly you are not taking this personal.

John