Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Robert Hill
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:33 pm 

He's got a number of CDs (Hänssler Edition Bachakademie). I don't have any of them, but am curious of what others think of his playing style, etc. He's got a lot of live rocordings on his blog: http://robert-hill-live.blogspot.com/ and you can also view his biography there. I love the way he plays Bach's Sinfonia in G (#11) (BWV 797). He's got it loaded with additional ornaments and it sounds awesome! It's absolutely the best sounding recording of this piece I've heard and I wonder if others agree. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have this recording on any of his CDs. You can listen to it on his blog site. He plays it on the fortepiano. I'd never heard anything played on a fortepiano before I heard his music. I really like the sound of this instrument.

Post subject: Re: Robert Hill
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:45 am 

Yes I have heard his Mozart before. It actually really inspired me to play more Mozart myself which I really enjoy. I also kind of like the period piano forte performances myself. I think it’s partly because most of the pianos that I play sound more like these old piano fortes then a modern piano! It also kind of shows how it’s possible to make even a very old/limited instrument sound musical and expressive. I know this instrument is not everyone’s cup of tea.

You know with all the liberty he takes with tempo and expression, his sense of timing is actually really good. Its actually not that easy to play so slowly with rubato and maintain a consistent tempo from bar to bar. I don't think I would be able to do all that and still make it as successful as he does.

mbloedel wrote:
He's got a number of CDs (Hänssler Edition Bachakademie). I don't have any of them, but am curious of what others think of his playing style, etc. He's got a lot of live rocordings on his blog: http://robert-hill-live.blogspot.com/ and you can also view his biography there. I love the way he plays Bach's Sinfonia in G (#11) (BWV 797). He's got it loaded with additional ornaments and it sounds awesome! It's absolutely the best sounding recording of this piece I've heard and I wonder if others agree. As far as I can tell, he doesn't have this recording on any of his CDs. You can listen to it on his blog site. He plays it on the fortepiano. I'd never heard anything played on a fortepiano before I heard his music. I really like the sound of this instrument.