Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: RE: question on an ornament on sinfonia # 2 / bach
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:23 pm 

You know I recently noticed the way the long ornament in bwv 798 is outlined in the Busoni edition bar 7.

In his version he actually stops the ornament momentarily to play the counter melody with the thumb. I never noticed this before, and from what I can tell, the pause is so short it’s hard to notice it unless you are listening very carefully. After I read this, I noticed many recordings do something similar, though I never noticed it before. Most of the time I need to slow the recording down to tell if the musician is doing it.

What do you guys think, is this cheating too much? Some recordings try to play the ornament and counter melody at the same time. (Please ignore the fact that he starts the ornament on the e flat instead of f and plays triplets.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:28 pm 

Hi Stan,

I think that's a really good idea (and may use it myself if I come back to this piece in the future :D ). Played the way it's written, I think it's one of the hardest parts of the sinfonias, and I play it how it's written, but wasn't satisified by my own performance of it (I think mine sounds a bit frantic, like a doorbell trill). I think cheating is always fine, as long as one doesn't cheat too much :P In the end, it's the illusion and sound that matter.

--Joe