Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Lavender's Blue (Improve flute and piano)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:20 am 

I didn't know if this should be put in the composing forum or this one, because it is just an improvisation. It doesn't have to be put up, but thought you might like to hear it. It's a rough draft of a piece I am arranging for fun. I hope to add my brother later to it with maybe some electric, acoustic, and bass. I would love it if someone would like to record a violin part on it. I play a little violin, but am not that good. It's in the key of A. I know I have some slips- but over all I think it's pretty good, and I tried to cover most of the slips. I played this by ear, so it's easier to have more slips that way. But, I'm also testing sound quality again, this time I have a zoom, so I hope you appreciate it. :)

Anyway, it's yours to enjoy. I play both the piano and the flute on this.

Recording-

Zoom H2

Audacity- used gverb, some echo, and some bass boost
I'll see about posting it again when I get other instruments added.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

I can appreciate how much fun is to do this sort of thing. I used to do it a lot when I was younger.

For some reason, this song does not appeal to me. In fact I can hardly stand it. Don't really know why. But I listen to your version here and your sound is now a lot better with your new recorder. The flute seems a little too much 'in your face' though, and maybe you can experiment with standing further away from the mics and things like that. Also, you should put up only mp3's here on the forum. .Wav files are very large and so you should probably take this down, convert it into an mp3, and then stick it back up.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

Please do not post WAV files. This is 20 times bigger than it should be.
The theme of the song is nice enough but there are too many awkward transitions and corny ritenutos. The flute spoils it a bit IMO, and it is not always well together with the piano. The ending is unbearably saccharine. Sound quality is decent thouh the piano still sounds a bit strange.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:36 pm 

Ok- thanks for the advice- I am still working with volume levels. And transitions on the song.
I'm glad it is better. I will repost it as a mp3. I hope to make a better recording of it, with smoother transitions, but it's awful hard to get a perfect recording! If something goes right the next time, something else will go wrong. But, maybe it'll improve.
The ritenutos could partially be due to some of the slips I had that I didn't want. Maybe if I took the flute down a bit, that would help.

I also did the flute at night, which doesn't help with support, since I have less support when I play at night. But, that seems to be the best time to record when no one else is around. :)
The ending actually just came to me. Wasn't planned or anything. I was actually going to do a key change, and then I didn't feel very comfortable with the key change, so I stopped where I did. And yes, there were some chords that weren't supposed to be. I will try again. :)

Maybe I'll post it without the audacity editing and see what you think then and after the editing.
Thanks for the advice. Zoom is a very powerful tool. :)

Post subject: Redone and another one
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:36 am 

So- I guess I posted on even a completely different forum than what I intended in the first place. I meant to do the audition room, but it was late, so you know! Anyway- I think I figured out what seemed strange about the piano- Chris. I had a lot of decorative items on top of it, and I think there was was a pencil. So, the Tammy one is with the lid open and not a single item. I wonder if that makes a difference. It's kind of annoying to take everything down, but if it will make you happy, I'll do it. :) I'm still messing with reverb and such on audacity. I still haven't found the right one for piano and have yet to find one for flute, but hope it sounds decent. I can still work on the flute if it needs be. Anyway, here are two more files.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Oh dear, I see no nice way to put this....... but that Tammy thing is a piece of drivel if I ever heard one ! As for the Lavender, I think this version is much worse than the previous. That pitch step up in the middle, and the subsequent echoey flute effect, is really corny. I still think that melody has some potential and deserves a better better treatment.
I don't quite know what your purpose is in submitting things like this in a classical music forum, but this is definitely not the stuff for us. Nor is the sound quality in any way adequate - which is not just a matter of taking object from the piano during recording (which you should do anyway if you're serious about recording).
Sorry to be a bit blunt about this. We could of course just ignore it but we admins feel the need to comment on anything that gets submitted :)

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:45 pm 

sure, i understand, still you have to give me credit for trying. I not quite at the place yet to by an amazing grand, so my piano will have to do for now. I'll work on something else, and try putting it up here.

The piano itself- did it sound any better?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Now I remember why I don't like 'Lavender Blue'. It's the lyrics. That dilly dilly stuff really annoys me, and I can't listen to the melody without thinking of those icky words. And please remember to not put up music like this here. You can instead submit this type of posting in the General forum.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:01 am 

Ok, thanks, I didn't know where to put it. I've bought the Larry Fine book, waiting for it to arrive. Will probably half to wait a couple of years or so before I can buy a piano. :)

I will also post my new business cards, just so you can see them. Front and back. I had some friends do them. I think they turned out rather well. I'll delete them after you see them, if you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Nice. Though having your photo on the back as well as the front seems a bit over the top to me. I've never seen a business card like that. To sit next to Bach's wise quote, I'd have chosen a little clip of his beautiful handwriting.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:14 am 

Thanks. I think she attempted to find a font that would kind of suite that time period.
Hey- you're almost to your sum goal. I made a book sale on facebook marketplace, first time, for quite a large sum. Haven't received it yet, but when I do, I'm that much closer to being able to afford at least a decent grand, which is my goal. I have more books for sale, if anyone on the society is interested. I have lots more books to sell that I will hopefully put up here, if you all are interested in helping me raise funds for a piano. If you are interested in my books, let me know, and I'll get them on the marketplace right away.
I'll be sure and check which forum I should be in from now on.
Monica- I have received the Larry Fine Book- which you have recommended. It looks very detailed. I especially liked his breaking down the money issues. That gives a clearer goal and perspective on what I might be able to do later on. Thanks for the suggestion of the book.

I'd post this in the general forum, but since I'm already here, this is the link for my marketplace.
http://apps.facebook.com/marketplace/se ... 1483783738

Thanks,