Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: A PS meeting
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:03 am 
Site Admin

Yesterday I teamed up with Andreas, who is currently on holiday in the Netherlands. The plan was to record (video and audio) three Dvorak Slavonic Dances and the Mozart Sonata KV497. Andreas decided that we do page-by-page recording, with a camera angle switch to hide each page turn. Gosh that process takes a lot of time ! Especially as Andreas had forgotten to take his tripod, so we had to fumble around with side tables and stacks of books.

We managed to get pretty decent recordings of the Dvorak pieces and the first part of the Mozart, and an acceptable recording or the second part of the Mozart. Alas there was no more time for the final movement (it would have taken too much time anyway as this is a pretty demanding piece of work).

We had a bit of a shock at the end of the recording session, as Andreas discovered that his Zoom H4 had not actually recorded anything because the input switch was still set to 'External Mics'. This is a pity as we thought we had some good recordings for the site. Now we'll have to see how well the audio from the camera can be brushed up - it won't be as good as that of the MP3 recorder. If only I had put my Edirol on the job as well... but there seemed no point in doing that at the moment. Ah well. Maybe there is time to repeat the session.

Now Andreas will have some homework when he gets home, merging and syncing alll the different tracks. He's good at that and likes doing it, so I am not too worried about it :D

It was very nice to meet with a PS friend and make music together. I hope it will not be the last and only time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

no video???? :evil: :evil: :evil:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

You did not read properly ! Yes we have video but no separate quality audio from the Zoom h4. It has to be seen how much Andreas can brush up the sound as recorded by the camcorder.

Last edited by techneut on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:51 pm 

This will be quite entertaining to watch. I can't wait. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
You did not read properly ! Yes we have video but no separate quality audio from the Zoom h4. It has to be seen how much Andreas can brush up the sound as recorded by the camcorder.

Oh. :oops: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:07 pm 

Guys, I'm eagerly looking forward to watching your performance. And Dvorak looks like a great choice!

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

We have just decided to redo the session next monday, as Andreas says the editing job will be almost impossible without separate audio tracks. So we'll put the Edirol and H4 both in gear, just to be sure we have audio tracks now. Hopefully we can now also do the final movement of the Mozart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:58 pm 

Guys, I'm so jealous!!! :x
If anyone comes near to Stuttgart and likes to visit me (it takes 30-50 minutes train from Stuttgart to my city), I'll prepare a great dinner in Korean style :wink: Of course there will be music played together... My choice would be Schubert's Fantasie in f minor. I can play both of the parts. So choose your favourite part, primo or secondo 8)
Anyway I can't wait to watch your result!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:08 pm 

hyenal wrote:
Guys, I'm so jealous!!! :x
If anyone comes near to Stuttgart and likes to visit me (it takes 30-50 minutes train from Stuttgart to my city), I'll prepare a great dinner in Korean style :wink: Of course there will be music played together... My choice would be Schubert's Fantasie in f minor. I can play both of the parts. So choose your favourite part, primo or secondo 8)
Anyway I can't wait to watch your result!!!

Hye-Jin, I'm VERY interested in both the Korean dinner and the Schubert! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:01 pm 

Alfonso, I know that you have a friend in Pforzheim. Do you have any plan to visit him? Then I could ask you to visit also Reutlingen at that oppotunity, if you are not so much irritated by my very humble apartment in a dormitory, the possibly bad instrument which can be available to me, my distorted spoken english and the crying baby at the dinner :wink:
But really, I wish I had a chance to play the beautiful Schubert with one of you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

I've been to Stuttgart twice for work, once to Sindefingen and once to Boeblingen. It was a long time ago and will not likely happen again. Should I find myself in the neighbourhood suddenly, I'll come and play with you. And have a lavish dinner of course :lol:

But seriously, you should try find a piano partner via Internet. With your PS recordings as calling-card, it should not be so hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:33 am 

Hi friends,
here I am from the Netherlands writing with my amazing cell phone, but with limited possibilities of internet access and handling. I'm looking forward to Monday, 10th of august to our second meeting and I have bought a new tripod for my camera;)
I'm sure to be very out of practice after two weeks of windsurfing and no touch with those little black and white monsters, but before we'll start our re-recordings I had to promise to play through the complete WTC foMr warming me up;)
So, I'll do my very best like the butler in "Dinner for one"!:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:06 am 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
I'm sure to be very out of practice after two weeks of windsurfing and no touch with those little black and white monsters, but before we'll start our re-recordings I had to promise to play through the complete WTC foMr warming me up;)

Haha yes, but not after you've done the complete Hanon first to loosen up these lazy fingers :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:10 am 

hyenal wrote:
Alfonso, I know that you have a friend in Pforzheim. Do you have any plan to visit him? Then I could ask you to visit also Reutlingen at that oppotunity, if you are not so much irritated by my very humble apartment in a dormitory, the possibly bad instrument which can be available to me, my distorted spoken english and the crying baby at the dinner :wink:
But really, I wish I had a chance to play the beautiful Schubert with one of you guys.

My friend is a "she". Yes, I could drop by on my way to Pforzheim, but I could also map out a weekend trip to the Black Forest just to see you and play something together. This could be in Autumn or the next Spring. I've just bought a new car, taking advantage of government eco-bonus, replacing my old VW Golf. And it's a Hyundai! :wink: It's bifuelled lpg, so I'm more inclined to do longer travels by car now. By the way, I've recently had to replace the fridge, a ten-year GE, and I took a Samsung. So, as you can see, I'm going all the way South Korean! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:47 pm 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
Haha yes, but not after you've done the complete Hanon first to loosen up these lazy fingers :lol:

No, I'm only used to Chopin and Brahms etudes. :)

Last edited by musicusblau on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:49 pm 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:

No, I'm only used to Chopin and Brahms etudes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:05 pm 

techneut wrote:
I've been to Stuttgart twice for work, once to Sindefingen and once to Boeblingen. It was a long time ago and will not likely happen again. Should I find myself in the neighbourhood suddenly, I'll come and play with you. And have a lavish dinner of course :lol:

Hahaha, I see the dinner thing appeals most of all :lol:
Sindelfingen and Böblingen are known as cities with much industries also to me. If you come to this area once more, let me know ;)

Quote:
But seriously, you should try find a piano partner via Internet. With your PS recordings as calling-card, it should not be so hard.

Thanks for the tip. You gave the same also about the chamber music partners, didn't you? I looked around internet sites, but I found the people in my region don't use the internet for such "local" things, but local newspapers or handbills in the supermarkets or in the libraries. But all the handbills I've seen so far are concerned with selling or buying used things, though. Maybe I should search the instrument possibility for myself first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 pm 

alf wrote:
My friend is a "she". Yes, I could drop by on my way to Pforzheim, but I could also map out a weekend trip to the Black Forest just to see you and play something together. This could be in Autumn or the next Spring.

OH, really? Then I'll be very happy and it'll be such a great pleasure to me!!! :D I should beginn practicing gradually! I almost quit playing after the birth of Sol-Ji :roll:

Quote:
I've just bought a new car, taking advantage of government eco-bonus, replacing my old VW Golf. And it's a Hyundai! :wink: It's bifuelled lpg, so I'm more inclined to do longer travels by car now.

Can you bring your stage piano to here with your new car? I'm still searching a digital and maybe buy one within the foreseeable future. Otherwise I could reserve the room where I can play sometimes, but the piano is not in a good condition :? Anyway, after your positive reaction the Schubert doesn't go away out of my head!

Quote:
By the way, I've recently had to replace the fridge, a ten-year GE, and I took a Samsung. So, as you can see, I'm going all the way South Korean! :lol:

I don't know much about cars, but I can say the Korean fridges are quite good. They must be very good to satisfy the pricky Korean housewives :) I just ordered an Italian product via internet. It's like a Ferari in the field about children: a baby buggy of Peg Perego :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:50 am 

Quote:
Can you bring your stage piano to here with your new car? I'm still searching a digital and maybe buy one within the foreseeable future. Otherwise I could reserve the room where I can play sometimes, but the piano is not in a good condition :? Anyway, after your positive reaction the Schubert doesn't go away out of my head!

My car trunk is not big enough for the Kawai, but I think that by lowering the back seats I'd be able to make room enough for it. We'll see. I've never played that Schubert Fantasie before, except some bits once at Sandro's home years ago. So I'd better learn it now. :lol:

Quote:
I don't know much about cars, but I can say the Korean fridges are quite good. They must be very good to satisfy the pricky Korean housewives :) I just ordered an Italian product via internet. It's like a Ferari in the field about children: a baby buggy of Peg Perego :D

Yes, Peg Perego is quite a good brand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

alf wrote:

Yes, Peg Perego is quite a good brand.

Hye-Jin, when my boys were a lot younger, I bought them a Peg Perego car. It was like a Jeep, rather large so they could both sit side-by-side next to each other while one of them drives. It ran on a huge battery almost the size of a real car battery, and they had a lot of fun with it. Lasted quite a long time too (through two boys and all their little friends. Except, one of my kids drove right through a bush and tore off the rear-view mirrors, but the car still kept running), so Peg Perego must indeed be a good brand.

and btw - my boys Jeep was red, but I think they make a pink "Barbie" car too, so get ready.... :)

Last edited by pianolady on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:18 pm 

alf wrote:
My car trunk is not big enough for the Kawai, but I think that by lowering the back seats I'd be able to make room enough for it. We'll see. I've never played that Schubert Fantasie before, except some bits once at Sandro's home years ago. So I'd better learn it now. :lol:

I got to know that piece at my friend's home who is a piano teacher and was in a blind love to it for a while. I played it with my teacher a couple of times, but that was all. If I could play it properly with someone like you, that means one of my dreams around the piano comes true :wink:
By the way, as I tried to play it with my teacher, I found I need a page turner. Could your wife Monica do that for us and at the same time hear us and give us some advices? My husband will be certainly very busy about Sol-Ji :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:28 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Hye-Jin, when my boys were a lot younger, I bought them a Peg Perego car. It was like a Jeep, rather large so they could both sit side-by-side next to each other while one of them drives. It ran on a huge battery almost the size of a real car battery, and they had a lot of fun with it. Lasted quite a long time too (through two boys and all their little friends. Except, one of my kids drove right through a bush and tore off the rear-view mirrors, but the car still kept running), so Peg Perego must indeed be a good brand.

and btw - my boys Jeep was red, but I think they make a pink "Barbie" car too, so get ready.... :)

Ah, I once saw a car of Peg Perego in a supermarket, but I've never seen someone driving something like that. Anyway it's interesting to hear that a children car lasted so long and ran so well!
BTW how old are your sons, Monica? Are they in a high school?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

hyenal wrote:
Ah, I once saw a car of Peg Perego in a supermarket, but I've never seen someone driving something like that. Anyway it's interesting to hear that a children car lasted so long and ran so well!
BTW how old are your sons, Monica? Are they in a high school?

Here they are in that car when they were little:

And here they are now: My oldest just finished his first year in college, and my other one has one more year of high school. (I had them when I was 15 :wink:)

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:23 pm 

pianolady wrote:
(I had them when I was 15 :wink:)

Get it done and over with: good philosophy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:45 pm 

Monica, your boys are good-looking :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:16 pm 

hyenal wrote:
By the way, as I tried to play it with my teacher, I found I need a page turner. Could your wife Monica do that for us and at the same time hear us and give us some advices? My husband will be certainly very busy about Sol-Ji :lol:

Monica can barely read music (she used to sing in an amateur choir, many years ago), I hope we'll work out a better solution than this one. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:26 pm 

Gosh, battery operated cars... Where are the pedal cars of former times like the one I had as a child? I'm oooold, Monica!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Today Andreas and I had another go at the pieces we planned (Mozart KV 497 sonata and 3 Dvorak Slavonic Dances), this time we managed to get very decent recordings in audio and video. It was a very long day of hard work, from 10:30 until 20:30 (this including some breaks of course). This late Mozart Sonata is very demanding and we were thoroughly fed up with it in the end, or at least I was.
By comparison, the Dvorak Dances are almost a piece of cake - though we did not pick the hard ones to be honest. We did entertain the idea of someday recording them all, but lord knows where we'd get the time for that.

Andreas will have quite a lot of work to to fitting all the tracks together... I'm looking forward to the result. But before he goes home he'll have the pleasure of seeing me windsurfing for the first time since 20+ years. That will be a hoot :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:22 pm 

techneut wrote:
Today Andreas and I had another go at the pieces we planned (Mozart KV 497 sonata and 3 Dvorak Slavonic Dances), this time we managed to get very decent recordings in audio and video. It was a very long day of hard work, from 10:30 until 20:30 (this including some breaks of course).

Pianists' union won't be happy. :lol:

techneut wrote:
Andreas will have quite a lot of work to to fitting all the tracks together... I'm looking forward to the result. But before he goes home he'll have the pleasure of seeing me windsurfing for the first time since 20+ years. That will be a hoot :)

We want that video, also!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:46 am 
Site Admin

alf wrote:
We want that video, also!

Darm, I wish I had not said that now :lol:
Wind forecast for tomorrow is just about right for someone who's likely to be a bit rusty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:49 am 

It was a nice, but also demanding recording-session, but we also had a lot of pleasure and fun. I really like four hands playing and would be glad to make a CS of the Slavonic Dances.
So, let's see, if I can do some hot surfing fotos of Chris at least tomorrow;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

It was a great day yesterday, enjoying the hospitality of Andreas and his family. I'm very thankful for this wonderful opportunity to try my hand at windsufing again after over 20 years of not having done it. After some initial awkwardness, it all came back surprisingly quickly. Though it took me until the end of the day to execute a succesful tack again (the most basic manouevre to change direction). The wind was just right in the morning, but as the weather brightened in the afternoon, it became less reliable, causing me to fall over more than I care for. Andreas had the bigger board and sail of the two, so he had a bit of an advantage here.

Feels so good to know I can still do it, and I suddenly realized what I'd been missing all this time. I must now really get some new ropes, repair my mast, and get on-board again. We must certainly repeat this meeting, as well as playing piano together. Quite unusual to find someone with the same two passions ! But sheesh, do I have muscle ache today :x Especially after running 5 miles this afternoon with our company fitness instructor.

Sabine (Andreas' wife) has made some video footage of both of us in action. I'm sure he will post that when ready, along with the recordings we made on monday.

Post subject: Hot surfing-video of Chris and me and pictures of our meetin
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:04 am 

Hi friends,
I´m back to Germany since yesterday and I have a lot to do now with editing the videos of 3 Slavonic Dances by Dvorak and the complete Mozart-Sonata for piano four hands, f-major, KV 497. In addition I have to replace a shower in my house (phew :evil: ).
Here are some pictures of our meeting and a hot surfing-video. I find it to be a great achievement, that Chris could start windsurfing after 20 years and sail with the board as if he would do it every day! We had a lot of fun and pleasure and I´m really glad to have had these three great days in summary with my friend Chris! :D

Here is the link to our hot surfing-video:
http://server3.pianosociety.com/protect ... .08.09.avi

Below you can see some pictures of our meeting:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:57 pm 

Very nice to see both of you in the same pictures and in a single video! :D
Is that cute boy in the second photo the 3-years-old son of Andreas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:08 pm 

alf wrote:
I hope we'll work out a better solution than this one. :lol:

Hahaha, this is really funny :lol: :lol: :lol: (Even though I could't follow some joke... what does it mean for example: "That's against the law!"?)
Who is that guy named Victor Borge? He plays the piano quite well :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

hyenal wrote:
Very nice to see both of you in the same pictures and in a single video! :D
Is that cute boy in the second photo the 3-years-old son of Andreas?

Yes, Julian. He he is really sweet.
The cute little dog on the first photo is ours, called Lucca. An absolute charmer who wants to play ball continuously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:05 pm 

hyenal wrote:
what does it mean for example: "That's against the law!"?)

Page Turner: "I run the lights"
Victor: "That's against the law"

Victor is alluding to that when driving a car it is illegal to go through an intersection when your lane has a red light and is signalled to stop. When a car goes through an intersection illegally, that is called "running (through) the lights"; hence Victor's reaction "That's against the law!" :lol:

@Techie: Is that a bottle of Grolsch? Where is the Heinny? :wink: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
@Techie: Is that a bottle of Grolsch? Where is the Heinny? :wink: :roll:

It is indeed. Heineken's not bad, but I have come to prefer Grolsch. It's the nicest beer I have yet come across, and I like the feel of these sleek embossed green bottles 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:26 pm 

juufa72 wrote:
Page Turner: "I run the lights"
Victor: "That's against the law"

Victor is alluding to that when driving a car it is illegal to go through an intersection when your lane has a red light and is signalled to stop. When a car goes through an intersection illegally, that is called "running (through) the lights"; hence Victor's reaction "That's against the law!" :lol:

Now I see what it means. Thanks Julius!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:54 am 

techneut wrote:
and I like the feel of these sleek embossed green bottles 8)

Are you still losing weight or have you reached your goal? Keep it up chief

Post subject: Victor Borge
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:34 pm 

I love this guy, and here is my favorite Victor Borge bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyArTMtg ... re=related

Post subject: Re: Victor Borge
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:47 pm 

mgasilva wrote:
I love this guy, and here is my favorite Victor Borge bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyArTMtg ... re=related

A fantastic cooperation :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:07 pm 

hyenal wrote:
Who is that guy named Victor Borge? He plays the piano quite well :D

He studied with Egon Petri (a pupil of Busoni, and a great pianist himself). Borge received a first-rate musical education and was trained as a concert pianist, but his career later evolved into comedy after a successful performance at the Bing Crosby's radio show in the forties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:20 pm 

hyenal wrote:
alf wrote:
By the way, I've recently had to replace the fridge, a ten-year GE, and I took a Samsung. So, as you can see, I'm going all the way South Korean! :lol:

I don't know much about cars, but I can say the Korean fridges are quite good.

I've recently discovered this on YT, which is quite a glimpse of how Italy was between 50s and 60s, when after-war industrialization boomed and people moved from countryside to big city. The song is sung in Genoan dialect, which strikingly sounds similar to Portuguese. Very typical also at the end when in the shop it's the husband who decides to buy but it's the wife who speaks to the salesman (since the fridge is a domestic appliance)... By the way, my parents-in-law bought their first fridge fifty years ago and it is still working (the make is Zoppas).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:47 am 
Site Admin

I've seen few threads go so wildly OT as this one.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:40 am 

techneut wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Indeed this thread includes apart from the original topic (a meeting for piano duet of Andreas and Chris):
Windsurfing,
Planning a meeting of Alfonso and me,
Peg-Perego,
Monica's sons,
Victor Borge,
Grolsch vs Heineken
and refrigerators :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Not to mention that my wife and daughter's new mobile phones are both Samsung, and so is my all-in one laserprinter. Together we unite to keep Korea in business :lol:

Last edited by techneut on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:37 pm 

hyenal wrote:
techneut wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Indeed this thread includes apart from the original topic (a meeting for piano duet of Andreas and Chris):
Windsurfing,
Planning a meeting of Alfonso and me,
Peg-Perego,
Monica's sons,
Victor Borge,
Grolsch vs Heineken
and refrigerators :D

You could possibly add: weight loss

but Mr. Chris didn't answer my OT question :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
You could possibly add: weight loss

but Mr. Chris didn't answer my OT question :?

Oh, ok then. No I am not losing any more, not being as fanatical about it as I was for a while. In fact, slowly gaining again so I'll need to watch it. Ah, the good life.... I guess it's the running and fitnessing that saves me from getting fat again. In a while, I may be windsurfing again too - bought a new mast so I should be ready to go.