Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: D major Invention
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Another invention in my sloooow process of completeing the set (if we just could get rid of the server problems...). At least I have done more than the half with this. Perhaps a little on the slow and safe side.

Bach BWV774 - 2-part Invention in D major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think this was too slow. Just right in my opinion. Most of your trills sound good. There's just that one at the 43-second mark in the left hand that sounded as if the tempo rushed a bit. Otherwise, nice job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:36 am 

I like your interpretation! Not too slow, my opinion too.

Personally, I now prefer to start the trills on baroque pieces (on romantique pieces mostly too) on the upper grace note instead the main note. Had to reprogram old habits, but this way it sounds simply better to me. According to what Bach wrote for his sons, he did the trills from the upper note. Perhaps you could give it a try, maybe you enjoy it the other way too?

Beside this, the trills over a complete bar are difficult, especially for left hand. It sounds a bit as if both hands were not completely relaxed during those crazy long trills. You managed it well, but could be even bit better.

Overall, it sounds good to me - the next piece for the complete set endeavor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:23 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I don't think this was too slow. Just right in my opinion. Most of your trills sound good. There's just that one at the 43-second mark in the left hand that sounded as if the tempo rushed a bit. Otherwise, nice job.

Thank you. It is not perfect and it is a bit rushed there and a bit unsteady here and there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:26 am 
Site Admin

MindenBlues wrote:
I like your interpretation! Not too slow, my opinion too.

Personally, I now prefer to start the trills on baroque pieces (on romantique pieces mostly too) on the upper grace note instead the main note. Had to reprogram old habits, but this way it sounds simply better to me. According to what Bach wrote for his sons, he did the trills from the upper note. Perhaps you could give it a try, maybe you enjoy it the other way too?

Beside this, the trills over a complete bar are difficult, especially for left hand. It sounds a bit as if both hands were not completely relaxed during those crazy long trills. You managed it well, but could be even bit better.

Overall, it sounds good to me - the next piece for the complete set endeavor!

I have experimented a bit with in the past but fell back to old habits. The long trills are the worst of the piece and I do the RH with 3-5 and left with 1-3. What I really should do is to not make them as loud as they are now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:12 am 

I like it. There is the option to play it faster but tempo in Bach is not always fixed to a certain speed, as Gould's playing demonstrates quite persuasively. I've always thought of this Invention as being faster too, but the slower tempo is stylistically ok and you play it at this speed with feeling and conviction, so it's a moot point. If you're not happy with it, you can always do it over! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

Well done. A good firm tone and conception. Only notepicking I can do is that the LH A in the last-but-one bar should not be repeated (at least not in the Urtext). And of course the trills which are not wholly in the baroque style. But we've been through all that - they don't have to be. In the end, the performer rules.

What I do want to mention though is that Urtext (and the autograph) has elaborate slurring and even the occasional "staccato" dot, seeming to indicate that articulation and phrasing is desired. Instead, you maintain a beautiful legato even in the eight notes jumping to and fro ! Is it intentional ?