Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:38 pm 

techneut wrote:
schmonz wrote:
(In the long run I'd guess we'd want to keep a little closer to the latest Ubuntu, though of course that requires someone to do the work.)

I am not not sure if we really want to keep up with Ubuntu patches, as long as we have no problems. It would perhaps make sense to do so, but we have not got a dedicated sysadmin.

Okay, I was wondering that (that's why I qualified my guess). mp3splt or no mp3splt, if Ubuntu 6.x is no longer being supported (which I don't know for a fact), then the system is fragile against e.g., security holes, which tend to rear their head at inconvenient junctures and consume annoying amounts of time to deal with, unless the OS can be expected to provide convenient and timely updates for such things. Which Ubuntu definitely does, for whatever versions of Ubuntu they're paying that kind of attention to.

So despite the fact that none of this is gonna be news to you, I'd say now's the time to think about the bigger-picture problem pretty carefully (if you haven't already), precisely because it isn't hurting right now. ;-)

I would be happy to volunteer some of my sysadmin-time -- including doing a significant upgrade of the OS, if we can plan it well enough that we're comfortable -- starting in a couple weeks, when midterm exams and papers are behind me. Would you be open to that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:17 am 
Site Admin

schmonz wrote:
I would be happy to volunteer some of my sysadmin-time -- including doing a significant upgrade of the OS, if we can plan it well enough that we're comfortable -- starting in a couple weeks, when midterm exams and papers are behind me. Would you be open to that?

Yes we could certainly use some help in this area. I'll need to discuss this with Robert though. As far as I remember the two of you previously agreed on something but I am not sure what exactly it was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:36 pm 

Me neither. I'm dead to the world until the 19th but then I have winter break, perfect for taking however long it takes to do whatever needs to be done for server health (and RSS feeds). Could you try to work something out with Robert for me in the next few weeks? And then I'd need you guys to be available around during some of that time to explain any confusing details of the status quo and vet/approve/veto the changes I'll want to propose. Is that doable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:14 am 

schmonz wrote:
Okay, I've hacked up a copy of Chris's "new" script. Y'all can try it out like so:
Code:
$ /home/schmonz/podcast/mynew 1 html > test-new.html
$ /home/schmonz/podcast/mynew -1 html > test-all.html
$ /home/schmonz/podcast/mynew 1 xml > test-new.xml

The first two files should look awfully similar to their live counterparts (though I haven't actually let "all" run to completion), and the third is what will soon be ready to be our podcast feed. It's missing one piece of metadata, though: the MP3's duration. How are you guys-n-gals currently determining that when you post a new recording? If there's an automated tool installed, please point me at it; otherwise, we'll want to install http://www.ibiblio.org/mp3info/ or something similar.

Also, for testing purposes, could someone mkdir /var/www/virtualhost/server3.pianosociety.com/schmonz, chown'd to me, chmod 755? Once the feed has all the necessary metadata I'll want to put a copy there, run it through a validator, various browsers and feed readers, iTunes, etc., and fix whatever needs fixing. When it's really ready to publish we can rmdir schmonz and put it at a stable URL.

Hmmm... this stuff seems to have gone missing since I last worked on it. In fact, my home directory looks awfully empty. Chris, Robert, is there a backup from which my nearly-finished work could be restored? I've got time and I'd really like to see Piano Society doing podcasting -- and not only because it's the only way I'll ever stand a chance of keeping up with all the new music published here. :-p

Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:51 am 
Site Admin

schmonz wrote:
Hmmm... this stuff seems to have gone missing since I last worked on it. In fact, my home directory looks awfully empty. Chris, Robert, is there a backup from which my nearly-finished work could be restored? I've got time and I'd really like to see Piano Society doing podcasting -- and not only because it's the only way I'll ever stand a chance of keeping up with all the new music published here. :-p

The Return Of The Schmonz 8)
In dire need of diskspace, we zipped up your homedir and moved it to another partition. Frankly, we did not think you were with us anymore, in terms of being involved in the site. But if you intend to continue, of course I can put it all back again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:29 pm 

Yes please! I promise my absences will always be intermittent. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:02 am 

techneut wrote:
But if you intend to continue, of course I can put it all back again.

Meep meep?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:14 am 
Site Admin

schmonz wrote:
Meep meep?

Blip. Squeak. Pip !

Forgot all about that. Will do it tonight. Do be conservatiove with out diskspace please !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

It's all back there, Amitai. Have fun.

You seem to have installed an awful lot of packages... All needed for RSS ? If not, please remove so as to save diskspace.

If you're good with installing software on Linux, maybe you could install telnet over http ? I tried that, but it requires Java and I did not succeed in installing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:03 pm 

Whoops, I'd had an SSH key in place from before (that was still working yesterday) and now I seem not to have it anymore -- I'm being prompted for a password instead (beats me what it is, if I ever had one set). Is there a copy of my ~/.ssh/authorized_keys you could put back? If not, please create it (owned by schmonz, mode 600) with the following contents:

ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAQEAxJvX8AFc5o6eNsgOpJM69Co7C7FZ2GPanoNazD2ANYS2BVAir1QDG/PEqEhssLmvgkJ2UirNL8CQX8Af1DAqs/UJnhYelbYC7QRK3l4byCjfyUkgrCujqQ4oj/ydTDKNdYjoludI5eFW8GC4O0K5AHcXfs/hdI99Yc76vVaaZBNq1EDwfoGqwGegOmyQjdiHta7/wamN8bVeyXi8qepNzlnYzOH8HtcneP61AvrC+hEcZD2I302tCgUDfW0VgGo30mC2etyICZX/kWWiLtwjP50DpiujbVAEd8gs/UPvKXFXRVURm4KJt/bAFkxZld2Q+QqyIc618+M7I/0Dt6HCyw== schmonz@magnetic-babysitter

I'll remove as much as possible once I manage to get logged in again. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

schmonz wrote:
Whoops, I'd had an SSH key in place from before (that was still working yesterday) and now I seem not to have it anymore -- I'm being prompted for a password instead (beats me what it is, if I ever had one set). Is there a copy of my ~/.ssh/authorized_keys you could put back? If not, please create it (owned by schmonz, mode 600) with the following contents:

ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAQEAxJvX8AFc5o6eNsgOpJM69Co7C7FZ2GPanoNazD2ANYS2BVAir1QDG/PEqEhssLmvgkJ2UirNL8CQX8Af1DAqs/UJnhYelbYC7QRK3l4byCjfyUkgrCujqQ4oj/ydTDKNdYjoludI5eFW8GC4O0K5AHcXfs/hdI99Yc76vVaaZBNq1EDwfoGqwGegOmyQjdiHta7/wamN8bVeyXi8qepNzlnYzOH8HtcneP61AvrC+hEcZD2I302tCgUDfW0VgGo30mC2etyICZX/kWWiLtwjP50DpiujbVAEd8gs/UPvKXFXRVURm4KJt/bAFkxZld2Q+QqyIc618+M7I/0Dt6HCyw== schmonz@magnetic-babysitter

I'll remove as much as possible once I manage to get logged in again. ;-)

Oops, somehow failed to set correct permissions. Try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:34 pm 

Thanks Chris! I'm in and cleaned out the waste. Can you mkdir /var/www/virtualhost/server3.pianosociety.com/schmonz such that I can write to it (for testing, it'll go away when I'm done)?

Also, the work I had done before was to refactor your "new" script to generate XML in addition to the HTML. I see that the "new" script has since been tweaked with a time column and the donation banner, so I'll have to carefully catch up with those changes. Anything else I should watch out for?