Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Playing Mozart's sonata in B-flat K 333 with the right pedal
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:16 pm 

Dear all

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, I'm just too lazy to go through all the previous topics.

I'm currently playing Mozart's gorgeous sonata in B-flat K 333. I first played this sonata about 12 years ago and started practising it again in November last year.

A few weeks ago I played this to one of my former teachers who strongly recommended playing it without the pedal. Since then I've been playing it without pedal and it did take me quite a while to get used to it.

Today I recorded the first and the second movement. The first sounds ok without pedal, yet listening to my recording of the second movement was a bit frustrating. It just doesn't sound right without pedal. So I recorded it again using the pedal and it was much better. I also think the cadenza in the third movement needs to be played with pedal.

Now, are there any opinions on that matter? Do you play Mozart strictly without pedal?

Any help on this will be vastly appreciated.

Daniel

Post subject: Re: Playing Mozart's sonata in B-flat K 333 with the right p
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:35 pm 

You know I actually enjoy playing the slow movement of this sonata (as well as almost all of the Mozart sonatas) Perhaps they are a bit long, theatrical. I do enjoy their relative simplicity. One thing I like about them as how little pedal you need to use.

I admit I do not like using too much pedal here and I don`t think it`s necessary. That being said, some pedal in this movement can sound good. Even I have found some teachers who say no pedal in Mozart, they usually mean almost no pedal. I do think Mozart allows for a little more pedal then Bach for example. That being said, I think the sustain pedal was not yet invented when Mozart wrote this sonata?

You may want to consider using a legato touch here, or finger pedaling as some may call it.

Daniel Hoehr wrote:
Dear all

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, I'm just too lazy to go through all the previous topics.

I'm currently playing Mozart's gorgeous sonata in B-flat K 333. I first played this sonata about 12 years ago and started practising it again in November last year.

A few weeks ago I played this to one of my former teachers who strongly recommended playing it without the pedal. Since then I've been playing it without pedal and it did take me quite a while to get used to it.

Today I recorded the first and the second movement. The first sounds ok without pedal, yet listening to my recording of the second movement was a bit frustrating. It just doesn't sound right without pedal. So I recorded it again using the pedal and it was much better. I also think the cadenza in the third movement needs to be played with pedal.

Now, are there any opinions on that matter? Do you play Mozart strictly without pedal?

Any help on this will be vastly appreciated.

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:04 am 

I am stumbling through mozart's fantasy in D-minor (?) and I use pedal sparingly. I think the music should not be washed out with the pedal, nor do I think every note should be dry and cut. Perhaps a touch here and there or at the beginning of each measure and then lifted two or three notes later would work well.

Listen to the Mozart masters play and see what you like and try to "copy" (better word is: influenced) them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:45 am 

At the time Mozart lived harpsicord and pianoforte were in use. If you select for the second movement the register "Lautenzug" (english lute stop ?) together witg finger pedal you get a sound approaching that with the sustain pedal. In contrast you play the first movement with the normal harpsicord register or pianoforte without pedal.
Christiane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:45 pm 

First of all, I'm sorry for replying so late. I've been away and haven't had a chance to read the forum.

At the end of the day it seems to depend on your approach to Mozart if you play with pedal or not. I have listened to several recordings - Gulda (The Gulda Mozart Tapes is definitely recommended!), Arrau, Horowitz, Gould.... It seems both Horowitz and Gulda use the pedal albeit sparingly and IMO that's the way forward. If you play Mozart on a modern piano, you can make use of the facilities it offers as long as you don't destroy the music. I think keyboard music that was composed for harpsicords and fortepianos need to be "translated" on our modern instruments without destroying the meaning and the very essence of the music.

Anyway, your replies have helped me a great deal to come to a decision on that - which was confirmed by the piano lesson I took on Tuesday (the first after about 15 years....).

Thanks again!