Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Wanting a Grand
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:37 pm 

So- my current goal is to buy a grand piano someday. I have been somewhat unemployed for a while- though have had part time jobs. I have currently received two job offers as well as still having the Suzuki program that I currently do. One of the job offers is working with some photographers and the other is to teach piano, accompany soloists and possibly the choir, and may teach class piano at a small college in the fall and spring. It may prove to be a very busy year. So- I was wondering, how would you all earn and save for a piano. And- did you buy it all at once, or did you pay for it in payments? I'm one that kind of likes to have the money there so that I can just hand it to them and be done with the payments. (Kind of funny about money that way) Course, then it's done and paid for and there is no debt, which would always be nice.
So basically- I was kind of wanting more ideas of how to earn the cash faster for a decent baby grand. Price range goal of $5000 or less. With this new teaching job, I could almost do it, but it may take a couple of years or so.
The other question I had was about receiving a grant. I was sort of curious if any of you have purchased a piano with grants and how that went.
Sorry if this seems like a personal note- but I'm just trying to get ideas of how to raise the funds for the piano. (If only I could make one myself!)
Thanks in advanced!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

I'm in a bit a rush right now, but the one thing I should say is that you can't really get a decent grand for under $5,000. Sorry....

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: ah
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:25 pm 

Ah- ok- then what brands would you say I should look into, and price ranges? It may take a while after all! I might get there though in time. :)

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:50 am 
Site Admin

I think you should read Larry Fine's, "The Piano Book." He tells all the pros and cons of every manufacturer and what to look for when shopping for a piano.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:54 am 

Ok- thank you I will look into it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:23 pm 

Yes, the book Ms. Monica recommended is fantastic. It's been underneath my pillow for the last year. :D

I think your best bet for a decent piano in the price range you're looking at (and maybe a bit higher) is to get a ten-year-old or so small-to-medium Yamaha or Kawai grand. The Kawai RX grands are quite good, and so are the "C" series in the Yamahas. The Yamaha "S" series are even better, but I think even the used ones are going to be pretty pricey. The "G" Yamahas are even less than the "C" series, but they also lack a true sostenuto pedal.

I've seen some excellent used specimens on Craigslist - although there's both trash and treasure there! :lol: You might want to look at that first, and if you find a piano that you'd like to purchase, be sure that your technician looks at it before you make your final decision. I haven't seen much on eBay, although you might want to peruse that site for some ideas and prices. Used piano stores have a good number of used Yamahas and Kawais, but, again, you've got to be cautious. Don't buy anything that your piano tech hasn't inspected first.

I wish you all the best in your piano search! :D

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject: Kawai. *heart*
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:17 am 

If I had a heart icon for the kawai I would put it there. I once got to work at a piano shoppe where not much happened. They went out of business the next month, so I was unfortunately out of a job there. It was a pretty decent job too. I can't remember what I earned, but it would have been even more if there had been sales! That was also the first time I heard the phrase "All the Bells and Whistles" I didn't know what it meant, and the customer was looking at a keyboard, so I took him literally. ha ha. I have never lived that down now!
But, while working there, I came across a Kawai baby grand. Because I had a bunch of time on my hands, I practiced it there. I immediately fell in love with the Kawai and would never expect to have one. However- I guess if one works hard enough, they can achieve the goal eventually. I loved playing my Liszt Lieberstraum. I was working on that for college at the time there.
Have checked craigslist, have also looked at what free pianos are available. No luck, even entered some contests to win won, still no luck yet. Ebay- there aren't too many choices there, are there? Don't know too much about Yamaha's, though played the uprights at school.
I think it'll take a few more hours of teaching piano to earn the goal!
Thanks for the info!