Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:42 am 

It's very sad to hear about someone's passing away and even more so when this someone was a fellow member of our small online community. However, I believe that musicians are somewhat special as they leave a part of them behind in the form of their work and recordings. This way, they can be remembered and continue to be admired and perhaps influence and inspire others in the future.

I didn't have the chance to know John personally which I regret deeply, but judging from his recordings, I am certain that he was a fine man and a talented pianist. Undoubtedly a great loss for his own people and for all of us here.

In times like that it would be useful for us remaining on the precarious journey of life to recollect the famous quote by the ancient rhetorician, Isocrates:

"Μηδενί συμφοράν ονειδίσης. Κοινή γαρ η τύχη και το μέλλον αόρατον"

which can be paraphrased as:
"Do not blame or mock anyone for their disaster (thinking that it can't or won't ever happen to you). Fortune is common to all and the future is invisible"

Farewell, John. May our Lord rest your soul in peace.
Pantelis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:58 pm 

It’s difficult for me to put into words what I feel about John’s death. I didn’t know him well, just the talking on PS forums and a few emails mostly about the left hand repertoire, and yet the sense of loss is great, as always happens when you share so strongly a passion. Then realize that his time has ended and could well be your time instead, so what you do at the piano, using up all your spare time saved from work and mundane activities, becomes again of paramount importance.

Ciao John, ti sia lieve la terra.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:54 am 

I'm just now seeing this. How tragic! I really wish I'd been around more so I could have known John a little better. From the short exchanges we had, I could tell he was a REALLY nice guy and most devoted musician.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Life is so short, but he left a legacy, his soul...in music.

Farewell, friend.
Pete

Post subject: Re: IN MEMORIAM JOHN ROBSON
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:06 pm 

techneut wrote:
As you may have noticed, John Robson has passed away. I am creating this thread to have a place for any reactions or questions you may want to post.

- Chris

Great John, honour to your life and pianism. Honour to your generous and intelligent approach to music. I'm proud of the reciprocal attention and esteem about our recordings here.
Bye John, thank you by heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:45 pm 

I was not expecting what has happened to John.

Here is my respect for John.

We loved his chopin waltz,

He is a warm person when I last spoke to him in 2007.

This is another dim day for me and God Bless HIM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:25 pm 

Although I didn't know him personally, he was one of those who have posted a couraging reply to my first recording on PS and I was one of those who were always interested in his new recordings and deeply impressed by his musicianship and devotedness to the music. My favorite recordings of him include his playing Ravel, Schostakovitsch, Moszkowski and Chopin.
His contributions in the forum and his recordings on PS show us the very model of every enthusiastic amateur pianist, who plays the piano just for music's sake. And I am very happy to have found such a model on PS. Thanks John sincerely and rest in peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:47 pm 

I was very sad to find in my email inbox the news that our friend and fellow piano enthusiast John has passed away. Although I greatly enjoy the wonderful community at Piano Society I have not been among the most active members. Nevertheless, I remember John from many conversations in the forums. We have listened to several of each others' recordings and looking into my private message archive I found that we have also had a nice private discussion about Mozart's a minor sonata. It's so sad to read this little text (now over two years old) and to realize that he is no longer with us. I read through the memories posted everybody in this thread and it's nice to see that all of us have some personal memories with him (Monica, thanks for the snippets from his postings, it shows what a good sense of humour he had). He will not be forgotten here, and I firmly believe that when the time has come we will all unite for the grand recital in Heaven. My deepest sympathies to the family of John, including his brother Charles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:16 pm 

Not knowing him very much, I can't but manifest my appreciation for two recordings which I consider really inspiring: Balakirev's Nocturne no. 3 and Chopin's Valse Op. 69 no. 2.

Congratulations, John!

Post subject: Charles, not George
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:45 am 
Site Admin

Please note that John's brother is Charles, not George as I wrote in my email. Not sure where I got that from... I always seem to confuse these names.