Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: What do pianists want?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:50 am 

As a composer, new to this forum, I'd be very interested in discussing what pianists like to play, where they're using it, relationship to the public in performance, etc.
I am currently engaged in writing a lot of new piano music and, briefly put, I could say it encompasses a lot of stylistic features.
Inevitably, most of you, as pianists, will be familiar with some of the 'vocabulary' of what I write and I'm very interested in what you're enthusiastic about; where you think things are 'at,' and where they're 'going.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:33 am 

Well, I don't have much to say about this... If you're writing in the contemporary style, I love something with lots of contrast (like the Vine sonata, Corigliano Etude Fantasy, or Liebermann Gargoyles for example). Other than that, I don't really have much to say :P some experimental stuff like what Crumb writes is cool, but I've never learned anything like that before...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:27 am 

The Etude Fantasy has a lot of interesting things in it; those firework-like snaky strings of chords he gets and the very angular, striking themes. I like the changeability too; it's a bit like some kind of adventure where you never quite know what you'll come across next - or whether it'll be friendly.

Liebermann is good at squeezing a lot of music out of his basic ideas and, in the Gargoyles, I like the way the movements are differentiated - like a gallery of quite distinct images.
My own piano music is rather like this; I could call it a 'carte blanche' style of composition where "expect the unexpected" usually applies, sometimes precisely because nothing untoward actually happens.
I like variety, so all "periods," "styles," ideas, interest me; it is as if everything were strained through everything else, all types of thought coexisting - often amicably.
Amazingly, I even like suggestions from people as to types of pieces they might like to play - general style, duration, purpose, etc, since, if I know what I'm shooting at, anything can be conjured up really.
Which, basically, is why I'm at this forum: I'd like to network in some kind of fascinating way with the pianists here and get lots of new ideas blazing - and lots of stuff performed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:06 pm 

I very much like strict classical form, but some work with texture, and morally based themes. I have no preference for tonal or atonal, avante garde or not, and i don't mind one bit if something is repetitive, but i don't really see the point of playing a piece that is a lazy dream, or finding different ways to make the chords clash and contradict themselves just for the sake of doing so. That always seemed like a way of saying, "I don't have the ability or want to make real art, real provocative ingenuity." Music isn't a playground for smart people who can read and play, it is a lifetime of discipline.

My best example of well thought out art that has strong thematic material and interesting use of texture and a variety of effects is Alkan's Grand Duo Concertant in F sharp minor- II "L'enfer" (Hell). If you haven't heard it, then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy8GFclw ... A&index=33 have a peek at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:28 am 

Thank you for replying, Lukecash.

I listened to the Alkan, again, after some years.
I like the piece too, for several reasons.

1 - Ideas - the piece has interesting, characteristic ideas, set out in a striking contrilled manner.

2 - Form - the form has been laid out in a sombre, monumental and, for want of a better word, "meaningful" fashion. The succession of sections balances perfectly as a whole.

3 - Imagination/atmosphere - Alkan conjures up something atmosperically substantial here - the effects he uses work together to build the "spectacle" of it all. Each section has something to offer - I particularly like that sustained "rumble" of quiet arpeggiations he uses.

Do you play this, or generally, play publicly?
I am probably unusual as a composer in that I like to find out what musicians like - what their values are - before I give them stuff to try.
Why give something rather romantic to someone who hates romanticism, or something "modern" (whatever that is now) if they prefer something more classic?
My style encompasses so many possibilities that I can ordinarily either select or create something appropriate, which, I think, is a far more successful way all round.

If you (or any reader of this thread) plays or performs, or knows others who do, I can organise some freebie samples of my work for them if they're interested. Strange as it may seem, I really think there ought to be something for everyone amidst what I write.

I'm working on organising some web mp3s too, in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:30 am 

I play that piece fairly often nowadays. However, i don't normally play publicly, you might call me misanthropic. I don't have any hard feelings, but people drive me crazy. I would love it if you could give a link for some of your music.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with any form or school of music that isn't modern crap. Honestly, i just can't imagine me handling Sorabji until it's been a few more years, so if you have any of that variety, i would be pretty stoked 8)