Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Joyce Yang!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:34 pm 

Joyce was the silver medalist at the 2005 Cliburn competition...

I just saw her last night, and she was AMAZING (it was worth every one of the 400 minutes I spent driving to and from :P). She played Liebermann's Gargoyles (which was probably my favourite one of the night because she played them SO well), the Vine piano sonata #1, 4 Scarlatti sonatas, and Schumann's Carnaval. Then for encores she did the 6th Hungarian Rhapsody (yay!) and a transcription of Gershwin's "the man I love".

I even got my picture with her! :D

Has anybody else here heard any of her recordings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:05 am 
Site Admin

Great picture!

I saw her play a few years ago at my old high school. She was very good! I can't remember what she played, but one of them had some arm clusters.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Re: Joyce Yang!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:12 am 

diminished2nd wrote:
Joyce was the silver medalist at the 2005 Cliburn competition...

I just saw her last night, and she was AMAZING (it was worth every one of the 400 minutes I spent driving to and from :P). She played Liebermann's Gargoyles (which was probably my favourite one of the night because she played them SO well), the Vine piano sonata #1, 4 Scarlatti sonatas, and Schumann's Carnaval. Then for encores she did the 6th Hungarian Rhapsody (yay!) and a transcription of Gershwin's "the man I love".

I even got my picture with her! :D

Has anybody else here heard any of her recordings?

Oh, how wonderful to have that opportunity! The program sounds like it was delightful. I've listened to some of her recordings from the competition (I particularly enjoyed her rendition of Scarbo from Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit), and I was tempted to get perturbed with the judges for not awarding her first place. :wink: I agree, she's simply a stunning pianist - a full-blown artist of high caliber (and she won that competition at nineteen, if I'm remembering correctly :shock: ).

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

Last edited by sarah on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:34 pm 

Oh, and great picture too! :D

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:39 pm 

As far as I know she only has only one recording available which is her Van Cliburn
performances (minus the concerto, the Van Cliburn Org. does not own the rights to
those). The disc has Bach's Overature in French Style, the Vine Sonata, the Liszt Paraphrases
and a bunch of other pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:52 pm 

@pianolady: I think the one w/ arm clusters might actually be the vine sonata? I remember at one point she did that anyway :P

@bclever: you can watch everything that she played for her solo recitals in all 3 rounds of the cliburn (along w/ everyone else who was there) in streaming videos on the cliburn website.

@sarah: I used to prefer her to Kobrin, but after watching his videos more and more I can DEFINITELY see why he won. his symphonic etudes.... outstanding. I actually wouldn't want to hear Ondine or Scarbo any way except the way he plays them now either :P (unless they pull it off extremely well otherwise). I haven't watched Joyce's Gaspard ever though. Which round was it in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:56 pm 

diminished2nd wrote:
@sarah: I used to prefer her to Kobrin, but after watching his videos more and more I can DEFINITELY see why he won. his symphonic etudes.... outstanding. I actually wouldn't want to hear Ondine or Scarbo any way except the way he plays them now either :P (unless they pull it off extremely well otherwise). I haven't watched Joyce's Gaspard ever though. Which round was it in?

Yeesh, I don't remember... Now that I think about it, I think she might have played the Gaspard sometime after the competition. They're not among her competition recordings. All I remember is that I really liked her rendition.

Speaking of Kobrin, I thought his Rachmaninoff was really fantastic - so perfectly infused with the Russian spirit. I'll have to rewatch those Symphonic Etudes. It's been too long... I can't remember the details. :roll:

By the way, have lots of fun at the competition! :D

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:26 pm 

oh I'm sure I will... I'm leaving for the first recital in about 30 minutes!! (leaving early to stop by the gift shop first :P)

Do check out his symphonic etudes. they're awesome. I just listened to his rach 2 sonata like 10 minutes ago too! NOBODY plays that like he does... it's so beautiful!