Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Quarter-tone music
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

What would life be without Youtube ! I stumbled on this set of 5 quarter-tone preludes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5sI-s4E9js

Fascinating stuff although perhaps not to everybody's taste. I'll be interesteed what you think of it. I think these are great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Wow - that is interesting - in weird sort of way. I liked his no. 3 Prelude a lot. Though I don't know if I could listen to this kind of sound for a long time. Afraid it would do some kind of brain damage - or more like some kind of 'hearing' damage. I already hear too many overtones in regular pianos and organs and listening to this kind of sound for long may cause something to go haywire.

You can see that the piano has three keyboards, but I don't understand how it actually works. Too bad he didn't show himself actually playing the music.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:18 pm 

what the.... :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:48 am 

These Preludes are fantastic! I love the first two... Isn't it ironic that quarter tone music originated in the Middle East, centuries before the well tempered scale, and it still sounds new to us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:25 am 

pianolady wrote:
Wow - that is interesting - in weird sort of way. I liked his no. 3 Prelude a lot. Though I don't know if I could listen to this kind of sound for a long time. Afraid it would do some kind of brain damage - or more like some kind of 'hearing' damage. I already hear too many overtones in regular pianos and organs and listening to this kind of sound for long may cause something to go haywire.

In all seriousness, I am convinced that my previous fascination (a couple years ago) with this sort of music caused me terrible insomnia for many months. I don't know how...it alters my brain waves or something. Ironically, I love the sound effect; it just stays stuck in my head for a VERY long time after listening.

I could listen to the youtube clip for about 3 seconds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:49 am 

Interesting sound, but I wouldn't want to hear this every day. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:00 am 

I really like these in an LSD-ish sort of way. Like listening to two kaleidoscopes whizzing round very fast in opposite directions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:43 pm 

Oh my goodness, those are so... bizzare. :shock: Microtonal music is intriguing in its own nonconformist sort of way, although I'd rather not bother myself with learning any of it. For all I know it might torment the poor audience with nightmares or something. :wink:

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:14 am 

The only quarter tone music I've ever heard was something Ives wrote for two pianos tuned a quarter tone apart, and that was about 10 years ago, in a music history class. I remember thinking it was really interesting (in a nice way), but I haven't really had any desire to seek it out since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:44 am 

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

First of all I WANT one of those pianos!!! :o Where can I get one? Who manufactures them? Are they available commercially? or are they customized only, and exorbitantly expensive?

Now that I've gotten that out of the way. I listened to his first Prelude and found it a bit trite and repetitive. The most difficult part for most people is to get used to hearing things in a different tonality. Once you get used to the "strangeness", you can begin to analyze the composition as a composition, and not as a "freakshow piece". In the first Prelude, he merely repeats the same pattern over and over and over, and the development of his themes is totally lacking. Where's the melody? Harmonic lines? Phrasing? Dynamics? Touch? Tone? Expression? Recapitulation? Counterpoint? Thematic Development? Xi-manipulation? etc? I think that this particular composer might benefit from studying musical composition more thoroughly until he can begin to incorporate the elements of good musical composition into his pieces. "Just because it's novel" is no reason to neglect the other elements of music.

Scriabin didn't neglect them! :P

Love is the law, love under will.
Aryobrand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:16 am 
Site Admin

aryobrand wrote:
Now that I've gotten that out of the way. I listened to his first Prelude and found it a bit trite and repetitive. The most difficult part for most people is to get used to hearing things in a different tonality. Once you get used to the "strangeness", you can begin to analyze the composition as a composition, and not as a "freakshow piece". In the first Prelude, he merely repeats the same pattern over and over and over, and the development of his themes is totally lacking. Where's the melody? Harmonic lines? Phrasing? Dynamics? Touch? Tone? Expression? Recapitulation? Counterpoint? Thematic Development? Xi-manipulation? etc? I think that this particular composer might benefit from studying musical composition more thoroughly until he can begin to incorporate the elements of good musical composition into his pieces. "Just because it's novel" is no reason to neglect the other elements of music.

Well, y'know... without wanting to argue with you....
I think you should be posting your assessment as a reply on YouTube. I'm sure the composer will take this to good heart and change his ways the way you tell him to. Go teach this guy how to compose ! Somebody has to do it, and it had better be you. In grateful return maybe he'll tell you where to buy one of these pianos so that some good music can be written for it. :P

Oops - was I being a bit sarcastic here ? Didn't mean to !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:28 am 

I think that's a highly interesting field.
When I was at university a spent a considerable amount of time (as a composer) delving into the subtleties of it.
I listened to the pieces, which certainly have some thought provoking bits. With quarter tones, I think it's a matter of how they're applied; in the right hands they can really open some new doors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:28 pm 

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

techneut wrote:
aryobrand wrote:

Well, y'know... without wanting to argue with you....
I think you should be posting your assessment as a reply on YouTube. I'm sure the composer will take this to good heart and change his ways the way you tell him to. Go teach this guy how to compose ! Somebody has to do it, and it had better be you. In grateful return maybe he'll tell you where to buy one of these pianos so that some good music can be written for it. :P

Oops - was I being a bit sarcastic here ? Didn't mean to !

... :? ... but I thought your question for this thread was ...

techneut wrote:
What would life be without Youtube ! I stumbled on this set of 5 quarter-tone preludes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5sI-s4E9js

Fascinating stuff although perhaps not to everybody's taste. I'll be interesteed what you think of it. I think these are great.

So I was telling you what I thought of it ...

... at least the first Prelude, instead I spent the time I would have listened to the rest of his preludes listening to pianolady's Scriabin preludes :D ...

... I'm sooo sorry that I told you what I thought of them after you said in this thread "I'll be interesteed what you think of it." ... soooo soooo sorry. :roll:
( :twisted: Who's being sarcastic now!!! :twisted:)
You know I'm kidding, right, Chris?

I'll try to listen to the rest later ...

Love is the law, love under will.
Aryobrand
(who's going to be very very quiet now...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

I was kidding too :wink: