Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin, some preludes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:44 pm 

Here are a few pieces that I've always loved. I don't have a lot of energy right now, so I hope you don't mind too much that they are "repeats."

Chopin Preludes, Op. 28:
No. 4 in E Minor
No. 6 in B Minor
No. 17 in Eb Major
No. 20 in C Minor
No. 22 in G Minor

Chopin - Prelude in E minor, Op. 28, No. 4

Chopin - Prelude in B minor, Op. 28, No. 6

Chopin - Prelude in A-flat Major, Op. 28, No. 17

Chopin - Prelude in C minor, Op. 28, no. 20

Chopin - Prelude in G minor, Op. 28, No. 22

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

These are up, John.

Sounded nice to me. You beat to me to no. 17. I've always loved that one and have been meaning to record it some day. And your no. 20 is fine too, even if you are an E-flat guy! :wink: Not long ago, I recorded this piece during a thunderstorm so I could get the rain and thunder in with the music. I added two 'thunder' clips because the storm wasn't good enough, but overall it came out pretty good. It's not on the site, as it was just for fun. Your no. 22 is really good too!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Preludes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:51 pm 

Thanks for listening, Monica. I know you guys must get tired of listening to so many repetitions of some of these little pieces. In the past, I've tried not to add re[portoir which was not already on the site. However, I'm breaking that self-imposed restriction for now. My greatest frustation with some of these pieces is not being able to get particular notes soft enough. I bet your No. 20 is exciting with the thunderstorm in the background.

I'm afraid my approach was a little too straight forward. Also I don't seem to have the strength to play the No. 22 as I intended to. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:59 pm 

pianolady wrote:
And your no. 20 is fine too, even if you are an E-flat guy! :wink:

You have to update your jokes, Monica! (or maybe take a medication to improve memory, hehe) :lol:
It's the second time I read this comming from you... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:03 pm 

don't be mad...
I'm just kidding... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:04 am 
Site Admin

felipesarro wrote:
pianolady wrote:
And your no. 20 is fine too, even if you are an E-flat guy! :wink:

You have to update your jokes, Monica! (or maybe take a medication to improve memory, hehe) :lol:
It's the second time I read this comming from you... :D

You will probably hear it more times, as it is a sort of standing joke with this prelude.

felipesarro wrote:
don't be mad...
I'm just kidding...

I'm not (this time), but you better watch it, bucko! You're going to get it one of these days. :wink: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:07 am 
Site Admin

John, I forgot to tell you something earlier. It's about the no. 17 prelude. If you ever play this one again, you might want to experiment with the middle pedal on the last 12 measures. (I'm not sure if you used it in your recording here.) If you put it down with those low A-flats, then the tone carries through the whole measure and sounds nice.

Also, please check your PM's again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:21 am 

pianolady wrote:
You're going to get it one of these days. :wink: :)

I'm afraid. What could you do with me?
The worst thing I can imagine is not to upload a recording of mine. hehehehe
Not much more than this... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:51 am 

Hi John and Monica,

When I click on the Gm, I hear the Em Prelude. A little mixup there perhaps?

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:35 am 

Sounds like the hand is 100%. Good jorb.

Monica, prelude #22 is incorrectly linked because when I clicked on it, I was hearing #4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:38 am 
Site Admin

These are powerful and eloquent performances John ! If they may lack the last ounce of perfection, that is more than compensated by your commitment. I can hear you feel strongly about these pieces. I particularly like your no.17 (which is IMO one of Chopin's most lovely and luminous pieces) and the hushed coda is really well done. Great job, and you are entitled to some re-recordings of tried-and-tested repertoire after introducing us to so many new works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

sorry - the link is fixed now.

Post subject: Preludes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:06 am 

Thanks for listening and the suggestions. Monica, I'm going to experiment with the middle pedal for the last part. I feel this last part should be so very soft and almost eerie, as though it's coming from somewhere "beyond." Sorry. But the truth is I hadn't listen to No. 17 much. I was very unsure how to play it. So I just did my own thing. I hear lots of room for improvement on all of them. I want that last section to be even softer and more "distant."

Every time I play Nos. 4, 6, and 20, I do something different. I'm still not sure what I want to do with them. I heard a music professor say that No. 4 is one of Chopin's most difficult and ambiguous works to interpret. I sort of agree with him.

I won't say anything about No. 22 since I'm not at all proud of the post. It's still difficult for me to play fast octaves with my poor little left hand. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Preludes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

John Robson wrote:
Thanks for listening and the suggestions. Monica, I'm going to experiment with the middle pedal for the last part.

I think what Monica hinted at is the use of the sustaining pedal (the middle pedal on a grand) to keep the low a flat independently of the normal pedal. ás I remember, you have an upright and these usually don't have this feature. Do you have a middle pedal at all ?

John Robson wrote:
Every time I play Nos. 4, 6, and 20, I do something different. I'm still not sure what I want to do with them. I heard a music professor say that No. 4 is one of Chopin's most difficult and ambiguous works to interpret. I sort of agree with him.

I think many great pianists have this 'problem' too. It may be not a bad thing if your ideas on a piece are not set in stone !

John Robson wrote:
I won't say anything about No. 22 since I'm not at all proud of the post. It's still difficult for me to play fast octaves with my poor little left hand. :cry:

But wasn't that the hand that got all the power exercises ? Anyway I dont think it has to be a lot faster than this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Chris, John has a Yamaha C1 grand, so it has the middle pedal.

As to prelude 17, I remember reading that those low A-flats near the end were supposed to signify a cannon off in the distance. Now I see that I was mixing that up with the Polanaise in A-flat, but there is another reasoning behind how to play those notes, which I found in a book I read a long time ago and also found the passage online.

Read it here.

So turns out that you are supposed to play the low A-flats fairly loud.