Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Busy with Piano
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:58 am 

I am finally starting to see what good my bachelor of arts diploma in piano can do for me. It's a ton of freelancing, but who knows. Maybe it could pay off in the end with an actual job?
Anyway, this month I am extremely busy with piano events. It makes me almost tired to think about it and a little nervous, as well as excited all at once. I have merged over to a new high school in the area. One that I haven't been associated with before. I always did things with my alma mater, but now I have been referred to the other one. I got two kids to State Music Festival in one week's time and am taking on another at the last minute. I'll ride the bus with them and stay in the hotel, all the while getting paid. Plus, I am teaching about 5 students, so I feel pretty busy this month. I am also still accompanying the Suzuki program. It is great to earn a living doing what you love. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

That's nice to hear!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:19 pm 

Ha, I'll be going for a PhD because I have no desire to try to make do with a BM. :lol: I'm glad you're managing - most people don't!

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:26 pm 

You just have to make a name for yourself, and people start coming. Plus, if there's ever an accompaniment job, that would be a double bonus, and I'd be set. :)
I started in the education department with music and when it became too much, I switched to performance. Who knows, someday I may go back and finish? You never know. Right now, however, I'm done with school. :)
Thanks for the comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:32 pm 

I. Hate. Accompanying. :lol:

But yeah, you're right - there's always plenty of money to be made in a college town if you're willing to do accompanying. Bonus to that is, if you do it for a while, you learn the repertoire and don't have to practice so much.

Post subject: :)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:01 am 

Really? I actually love accompanying. It matters if you make mistakes, but at least you can potentially cover them up better. Plus, you don't have to work so hard at memorizing. (Course, I'm pretty good at memorizing, I think.) But, I suppose that after a while, I may have all the Suzuki pieces that I've ever played memorized. They at least get stuck in my head every once in a while. Sometimes, that can get annoying!
But, I think I've learned a lot from accompanying, too. Like following the player in dynamics and in tempo changes, and different things like that. So, you shouldn't totally ride it off. It's good for you. :)
But, I guess it's not everybody's thing.
Anyway, so yeah. That pretty much sums up my life right now. It's just one big recital!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:59 am 

Meh, I know that accompanying can be good for me as a pianist - if nothing else, it is keeping my sightreading skills sharp, and forces me to deal with a lot more repertoire than I normally would. But I don't like accompaniments that aren't written pianistically, and I hate Handel aria transcriptions, and I hate all these stupid students who think that the soloist-accompanist relationship is an unequal one, musically. Also, I hate accompanying voice students, because they can't sightread and they all want me to do extra rehearsals with them (on top of going to their lessons!) to teach them their notes. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:16 am 

Terez wrote:
Meh, I know that accompanying can be good for me as a pianist - if nothing else, it is keeping my sightreading skills sharp, and forces me to deal with a lot more repertoire than I normally would. But I don't like accompaniments that aren't written pianistically, and I hate Handel aria transcriptions,

Hehe, re-write them pianistically.

Terez wrote:
and I hate all these stupid students who think that the soloist-accompanist relationship is an unequal one, musically.

How true!

Terez wrote:
Also, I hate accompanying voice students, because they can't sightread and they all want me to do extra rehearsals with them (on top of going to their lessons!) to teach them their notes. :lol:

Again, how true! Did you know the dolphin metaphor? :lol:

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:52 am 

alf wrote:
Terez wrote:
Meh, I know that accompanying can be good for me as a pianist - if nothing else, it is keeping my sightreading skills sharp, and forces me to deal with a lot more repertoire than I normally would. But I don't like accompaniments that aren't written pianistically, and I hate Handel aria transcriptions,

Hehe, re-write them pianistically.

I have thought about it. :lol:

Alfie wrote:
Did you know the dolphin metaphor? :lol:

:lol: No, hadn't seen that one. And red works, too. ;)

Post subject: :)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:48 pm 

Well- I was exceptionally fortunate then, this time, to have high school students that played so well, one of them got a 1+. (The judges aren't even supposed to, or usually do, hand + or - out.) They did not need help from me, except for making sure that I got my tempo with their's. I agree with you that it's not fun to accompany people like you've said, but if you get a chance to accompany people who are as good as these siblings, you might change your mind.
Well, I guess it's not everyone's thing to accompany, and that's cool. So, I guess we all do what we want to. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:34 pm 

Yeah, I don't get a whole lot of choice in who I accompany, because my school assigns accompanying to students who are on piano scholarships. It probably wouldn't be so bad if I had a choice.