Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Jorge Federico Osorio
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:42 am 
Site Admin

I attended Osorio’s concert in Chicago this afternoon. I’ve never seen him or have even listened to any of his recordings so I was not sure what to expect. But what a nice concert – I enjoyed every minute! And boy, can he play!!

This was the program:

1. J. S. Bach, arr. Rummel – Ertödt uns durch dein’ Güte from Cantata No. 22

2. J. S. Bach, arr. Busoni – Chorale Prelude, Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland, BWV 659

3. Prokofiev – Piano Sonata No. 5 in C Major, Op. 135/38

Intermission

4. Chopin – Piano Sonata No. 3 in B minor, Op. 58

5. Brahms – Four Piano Pieces, Op. 119

Intermezzo in B minor
Intermezzo in E minor
Intermezzo in C Major
Rhapsody in E-flat Major

6. Albéniz – selections from Suite Espanola No. 1, Op. 47
Granada
Sevilla
Asturias

7. Ponce
Intermezzo No. 1
Rapsodia cubana No. 1

8. Liszt – Vallee d’Obermann

I’ll talk a little about some of these.

Out of the two Bach pieces, I really liked the second one and will put it on my ‘to do’ list. The Prokofiev was a huge contrast to the Bach and was really interesting. I especially liked the end. Wow! The Chopin Sonata – wow again. Of course I know this piece well but have never seen anyone play it live. He was so good. How someone’s fingers can move so fast is just amazing to me. His tone was beautiful too. And so were his trills. Extremely fast and even!

After intermission came the Brahms. I’m also putting those three Intermezzi on my ‘to do’ list. Really lovely pieces! Next, came Albéniz. I’ve already fooled around with Granada and now I’ll get serious with it because I’d forgotten how much I liked it. Asturias was fun to watch. Talk about fast repeating notes! I think he missed a couple of the fast leaps to opposite ends of the keyboard, but so what. It was still fun. After that came the two Ponce pieces. I just now printed off the Intermezzo No. 1 because it’s a pretty piece and not too difficult. The Rapsodia cubana No. 1 is a really cool piece. I’ve never heard it before, but I really liked it. I'm sure it’s too difficult for me, but I’d love if you one of you more advanced players here would take it on. Trust me, you’ll love it.

The final piece was Liszt’s Vallee d’Obermann, and I immediately thought of a few of you PS men. I have never heard it before until just about a month or so ago, and now I’ve heard it twice from two members and now by Osorio. I think it is a nice piece, but probably not something I’d take on. Seems to me like it is a ‘man’s’ piece – and more specifically a ‘man of a certain age’. Not sure why I think that - oh well, whatever...

Two encores followed. The first one was by Debussy, but I didn’t hear what he said as far as the title. All I know is that it reminded be of buzzing bees. Before Osorio came out for his second encore, I was thinking to myself, “I hope he plays Granados”. And guess what? He did! It was the No. 2 Spanish Dance. It’s that real pretty and seductive one that I like a lot. And a friend and I were just talking about that very same piece just a few days ago so that was kind of weird. He played it nicely. His trills are much better than mine; I’m going to have to redo my recording of it one of these days. But he did make one pretty big slip. I doubt if anyone caught it but I did since I know the piece well. He managed to cover it up fairly well, though.

And that was that. The concert started at 3:00 and we didn’t leave until 5:30, so it was a nice, long concert. Like I said before, I really enjoyed it – except for the darn people who just have to cough right during the soft parts. I hate that! If I ever have to cough, I squeeze my lips together and hold my breath until the urge to cough goes away. Eh, what can you do?…

Fashion time – Osorio wore a dark suit, either dark gray, blue, or black, a white shirt and light gray tie. And he played on the Hamburg Steinway. :wink:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:23 pm 

OOOO ... manuel ponce!!! I've had 3 of his pieces out for months but can't record them because of a sticking key on my piano!!!! i love those intermezzi .... he has some really nice pieces!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:26 pm 

The only benefit of living in chicago:

the arts

No one comes to Milwaukee :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

I have three of Ponce's pieces sitting on my piano right now also - that one intermezzo and two mazurkas. I'll have to look at the other intermezzi too if I can find them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:06 pm 

make sure you check out his elegia de la ausencia .... stunningly beautiful minimalist piece .... haunting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you very much for the tip, Nathan. Ooohh - I'm excited now. Discovering new music is better than the candy store! And even the shoe store!! :lol:

The Elegia is coming off my printer as I type this. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:48 pm 

I know ... I love finding new music too!!!! About as exciting as finding a new author!!!

ps -- whatever happened to that bookclub idea you and i were kicking around?? I guess we're the only ones interested?? hehe .... more alone time with monica!!! :lol: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:43 pm 

nathanscoleman wrote:
ps -- whatever happened to that bookclub idea you and i were kicking around?? I guess we're the only ones interested?? hehe .... more alone time with monica!!! :lol: :P

Move over, it's going to be a threesome. Unless, that is, this bookclub is nothing more than a zombie following the "high literature" that Oprah-dumb@$$ suggests as "good reading". then you can count me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:10 am 
Site Admin

A threesome, foursome, fivesome - all okay with me!

April Fool! :P
You didn't think I would miss doing at least one April fool's joke, did you? I've been doing jokes on my family all day long. They're ready to give me a one-way ticket to somewhere. :lol:

Seriously - the book club - yes, I am still interested. Forgot about, is all. What kind of books should we read? I just started Lang Lang's new biography. My Dad said it was very good, so we'll see....
Do you want to read novels? biographies? non-fiction? I'm up for pretty much anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:42 pm 

I read everything too! On my bedside table right now in various states of progress:

one of Koontz' new bks (has he totally embraced the new age thing or what??)
2 smutty romance novels
a David Baldacci mystery
a Laurell K. Hamilton I haven't read (shame on me! :oops: )
a science bk about quarks
Pianists at Play -- interesting interviews of concert pianists ... older, Giesiking, etc.

Oh, and some puzzle bks ... I love those crostic puzzles. and sudoku and kakuro. I'm an addict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:43 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Do you want to read novels? biographies? non-fiction? I'm up for pretty much anything.

Right now I am reading Thomas Merton's "Seven Storey Mountain", I doubt any of you would be interested in an autobiography of a Trappist monk from the first half the the 20th century. But I sure am :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

I've read a lot of Koontz books a while back. Then took a break, so I'm not familiar with his latest works. David Baldacci is good. I've read a few of his also. Sorry, J - never heard of the book you're reading. But I have read a few smutty romance novels!

That Pianists at Work book sounds interesting. Did you already read it? A lady friend of mine recently told be about another book - think it is a novel, but it's about music. Can't remember what she told me now. I'll go find out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I've found the perfect book! I am going to start a new thread in the General Forum about it, in case more members/readers want to play.