Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:09 pm 

Sometimes it just helps to know what caused the pain in the first place. I had issues with left hand carpal tunnel, but they pretty much went away when I quit working on the Chopin 25/12. Then I had right hand issues while working on the 25/6. All gone now, though. I'm still working on difficult rep, but nothing that aggravates the carpal tunnel like those two pieces did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

All to prove that etudes aren't good for you :lol:

In my case, I guess it must have been the fitness session the day before. It was pretty hefty, sometimes Marion feels like pushing us to search for "the limit". I must have strained something there. Anyway it seems sorted now - although I can still feel it, and clearly need to be careful as big RH stretches still cause some discomfort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:23 pm 

techneut wrote:
All to prove that etudes aren't good for you :lol:

Ha, I'm working on the 25/7 now. There are some fiddly bits in the left hand, but it's not relentless like the other two, so no worries. :D

Your problem will probably go away completely before too long, but if you keep pushing it while you can still feel that discomfort, you might prolong the problem. Take it easy. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:04 pm 

On a practical note ... did you try alternating cold press and hot press? And you can always take some arnica root to speed healing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:21 am 

Hi Chris,
sorry, I really should have more often a look also in this forum :oops: . As I have read the first lines of this post I was shocked :shock: , but then I have read further and now I´m glad, that your pain seems to be over. :D Yes, I would recommend, that you don´t overdo to demand your right hand. (What about playing Ravels piano concerto for the left hand meanwhile ? Nothing easier then this. :lol: ) And why not using the time to nag a bit more around in the audition-room meanwhile and do some nitpickings, would be the best thing you could do, isn´t it? :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

nathanscoleman wrote:
On a practical note ... did you try alternating cold press and hot press? And you can always take some arnica root to speed healing

I did apply cold compress lavishly, and that really helped. Heat actually, while it also feels like relief, was not recommended by the doctor in a case of inflammation.

musicusblau wrote:
Hi Chris,
sorry, I really should have more often a look also in this forum :oops: . As I have read the first lines of this post I was shocked :shock: , but then I have read further and now I´m glad, that your pain seems to be over. :D Yes, I would recommend, that you don´t overdo to demand your right hand. (What about playing Ravels piano concerto for the left hand meanwhile ? Nothing easier then this. :lol: ) And why not using the time to nag a bit more around in the audition-room meanwhile and do some nitpickings, would be the best thing you could do, isn´t it? :wink: :lol:

Thanks for the concern Andreas. I'm all better now and back to normal (but can still feel it when I push it too hard).
I intend to record the Scriabin LH Prelude+Nocturne and the Brahms-Bach LH chaconne when my grand is tuned. Maybe also the Bartok LH Etude. These are the pieces I worked on while disposed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:20 pm 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
I intend to record the Scriabin LH Prelude+Nocturne and the Brahms-Bach LH chaconne when my grand is tuned. Maybe also the Bartok LH Etude. These are the pieces I worked on while disposed.

I´m attending these recordings with great interest. I really hope, you will be able to use your right hand normally soon and I´m very glad you feel better now. I´m spending all my free-time to practise, to do recordings and the rest to comment other members in the AR, so I´m quite rarely looking into the other forums, which I regret, especially in this case. (It´s a over a week you wrote this topic and I didn´t notice it. I always was wondering myself, why you were not posting anything more in all the time. I feel very sorry about that.)

And: we really need you here not only as an excellent pianist and a grand and ambitious Bach-player, who wants to record the complete Bach-work for piano as you said and I´m very curious on your Mikrokosmos-project, which also is an absolute great idea! So, I wish you all the best for the regeneration of your right hand from heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
I´m attending these recordings with great interest. I really hope, you will be able to use your right hand normally soon and I´m very glad you feel better now. I´m spending all my free-time to practise, to do recordings and the rest to comment other members in the AR, so I´m quite rarely looking into the other forums, which I regret, especially in this case. (It´s a over a week you wrote this topic and I didn´t notice it. I always was wondering myself, why you were not posting anything more in all the time. I feel very sorry about that.)

I have not been recording for a long time because my grand has been in awful voice ever since the frost broke. Expect some recordings after it has been tunes (end next week). The little bout of tendonitis has not really held me up in any way.

musicusblau wrote:
And: we really need you here not only as an excellent pianist and a grand and ambitious Bach-player, who wants to record the complete Bach-work for piano as you said and I´m very curious on your Mikrokosmos-project, which also is an absolute great idea!

Haha, ambitious, yes. Not sure about the other things. Most of my Bach recordings do not stand close scrutiny by today's high Bach standards - for which you are mostly to blame Andreas !

I''ll do a better job on the Mikrokosmos but I hope I can get the two-piano items properly together this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:37 pm 

techneut wrote:
Maybe also the Bartok LH Etude.

Good luck with that, it asks for a well-rounded octave technique.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:39 am 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
Most of my Bach recordings do not stand close scrutiny by today's high Bach standards - for which you are mostly to blame Andreas !

Really to blame? :cry: I feel so ashamed. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:22 am 
Site Admin

musicusblau wrote:
Techneut wrote:
Quote:
Most of my Bach recordings do not stand close scrutiny by today's high Bach standards - for which you are mostly to blame Andreas !

Really to blame? :cry: I feel so ashamed. :oops:

I should have written 'to praise' not 'to blame' :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:13 pm 

Techneut wrote:
Quote:
I should have written 'to praise' not 'to blame' :D

:D :wink: