Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:31 pm 

pianolady wrote:
avguste wrote:

I just started re-reading the book(this time taking my time) and I just realized that pianolady is Monica Alianello :)
I just finished re-reading your profile Monica and it is exciting to read about all of your experiences.
I love the fact that you were a band member playing flute and piano.
Quick question.Why didn't you major in music performance?

Beats me! Really - I don't have a good answer. I should have majored in music. Ah well....

I enjoyed reading your bio too. Was it fun being the pianist at an African-American church? If it was gospel music, then I bet it was. Probably hard to keep still, though. I'd be boppin' around on the bench a lot.

Thanks Monica.
The African-American church was interesting to say the least,especially since it was my first real exposure to such music.It was a great experience and something I enjoyed doing,although on the long run it became a burden,lol
For me the best times where when I was performing with the wind ensembles :)
That was so much fun!!!!!

And of course,the performances I am doing right now are also very fun :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:11 pm 

Quote:
Probably hard to keep still, though. I'd be boppin' around on the bench a lot.

You know, I bop around a lot on the bench as it is ... even with non-gospel pieces. Do you guys scoot around on the bench and bounce up and down at times??

Of course, this should probably better be discussed in technique ..... but when have I ever stayed ontopic??!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:16 pm 

I move around on the bench a lot. Sometimes my teacher will grab my shoulders during lessons to try to keep me still. Like, when I was playing the 10/3, I had to move to the right a lot for this one part, because if I didn't, it would cause a lot of pain in my right hand/arm. But I also move around a lot just because that's what I do when I'm not thinking about it. It's annoying when I have a squeaky bench.

That reminds me about something Czerny said about the first time he saw young Liszt play. I wish I could remember the exact words, because it was funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:36 am 
Site Admin

I only bop around when no one is looking. (which I guess is most of the time, so...um...yes, maybe I do). But...can't slide on the bench very much because 1. it's tufted, so you can't slide, and 2. it's an artist bench so there is not much room to go anywhere. There have been a couple of close calls, though. :lol:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:32 pm 

pianolady wrote:
I only bop around when no one is looking.

I've gotten so used to playing when no one is around that I can't really control my bench-bopping very well in public, lol. I should try. I don't want to be like Lang Lang, after all...

I tried looking for that Czerny quote again (I remember the book it came from, but that book belongs to my piano teacher, alas), but the only thing new I got in google was this post. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:38 pm 

Terez wrote:
pianolady wrote:
I only bop around when no one is looking.

I've gotten so used to playing when no one is around that I can't really control my bench-bopping very well in public, lol. I should try. I don't want to be like Lang Lang, after all...

I tried looking for that Czerny quote again (I remember the book it came from, but that book belongs to my piano teacher, alas), but the only thing new I got in google was this post. :lol:

That's probably because the young Liszt was sitting on a stool, not a bench. :lol:

I found this on Google book search.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:30 pm 

But you didn't share? :cry:

Edit, okay, stupid links that you can't see on this forum and all. But yes that's it! hehe...

Czerny wrote:
He was a pale, sickly-looking child who, while playing, swayed about on the stool as if drunk, so that I often thought he would fall to the floor.

:lol: Carl, darling....meet the Romantics. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

So we just have to get drunk and then we can play like him? Well...ok, I'll try...;) But stools are pretty small, aren't they?

Here, Terez:

And here he is with Czerny looking on. (actually, it's supposed to be Wagner, but close enough)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:38 pm 

hehe, I can just see him in lessons with Czerny, trying to be a good boy. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:51 pm 

Terez wrote:

don't be blasphemous!!! Liszt was NEVER a good boy!!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:48 pm 

nathanscoleman wrote:
Terez wrote:

don't be blasphemous!!! Liszt was NEVER a good boy!!! :P

That doesn't mean he never pretended to try...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:03 am 

Oh, and just to prove that Chopin was a bit of a snob, here's* something he said about Czerny :

Frédéric wrote:
He is a good man, but nothing more.

:!:

*underlining helps, Alfie, but I can't complain much since you found what I was looking for. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Terez wrote:
Oh, and just to prove that Chopin was a bit of a snob

But that's okay... :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:25 pm 

Yup.

*compares Chopin's and Czerny's music*

"Okay" might be an understatement. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Terez wrote:

"Okay" might be an understatement. :wink:

Now it's an overstatement. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next