Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: RE: pianoteq and other software synths/VSTs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:46 pm 

Hey Guys, not sure if this is the place to ask but here goes.

Yesterday I got an inexpensive midi/usb cable as a gift. I then plugged my keyboard into my laptop and instantly I had access to hundreds of amazing sounds. I tried of course pianoteq, DSK keys for piano sounds, I tried a mini moog sound and other such fun things (VST modules).

The question I have is can I use something like pianoteq or DSK keys for recordings on the site or am I better off using the built in sounds of my keyboard. (I have always just used the simple line in cable to my desktop sound card.) The line in cable cost me a whole 1$ at the dollar store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Stan,

You are still playing the keys just like before, right? The only difference is the sound? I am not too familiar with this, but I think there are other members (not regular ones, though) who have done this kind of thing. As long as you don't edit the heck out of your recording - like speed it up, slow it down, correct wrong notes, etc..then I don't have a problem with it. Maybe you better wait until Chris chimes in, though.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:42 pm 

No editing involved of course :) I don't actually know how to do that kind of thing. Just using the sound capabilities of things like pianteq and DSK keys. Perhaps its best to provide 2 or 3 short samples? Or maybe I am just going in the wrong direction?

Actually all my recordings have no edits except for the start and end (which I need an edit to cut out things I played before the song started or after it finished if that makes any sense?) Not that it matters :)

pianolady wrote:
Hi Stan,

You are still playing the keys just like before, right? The only difference is the sound? I am not too familiar with this, but I think there are other members (not regular ones, though) who have done this kind of thing. As long as you don't edit the heck out of your recording - like speed it up, slow it down, correct wrong notes, etc..then I don't have a problem with it. Maybe you better wait until Chris chimes in, though.

Post subject: Re: RE: pianoteq and other software synths/VSTs
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:34 am 

Sort of a sample of what I was able to record. I think the quality is better then my existing piano sound. This is not meant to replace my existing recording.

I think the volume settings might have been too low and maybee too much reverb. I noticed it was more responsive to my articulation which made me happy. What do you say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:01 am 
Site Admin

I don't care at all for these new technologies where one 'performance' can be made to sound like played on a Steinway, Bosendorfer, Barrel organ, or what else. I understand the results can be brilliant, and the possibilities exhilarating. Still I think this is not the way things should be going. But hey, I said that when the steam trains were first invented, and that didn't help either.

I guess this is a technology train we can't stop. To heck with acoustic pianos going out of tune. All you need is a midi keyboard and a sample librray of your choice. Hmmm....

Well anyway, we just have to trust that people still play the music themselves, which in this case we surely do. Having said that, even this aspect may well become a moot point in the future. When that happens, I'll probably resign as an admin....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:28 am 

techneut wrote:
Well anyway, we just have to trust that people still play the music themselves, which in this case we surely do. Having said that, even this aspect may well become a moot point in the future. When that happens, I'll probably resign as an admin....

Currently, there are piano lover online communities that don't accept digital piano recordings. I wouldn't blame PS if it switched to this standard or accepted only videos of digital piano performances.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:42 am 
Site Admin

alf wrote:
Currently, there are piano lover online communities that don't accept digital piano recordings. I wouldn't blame PS if it switched to this standard or accepted only videos of digital piano performances.

I don't think we can do that, however much we'd like it. Ever more people play digital, including yourself. Also, how do we know something is digital or not ? Often, you can't tell the difference and have to rely on the submitter's word. Seems impossible to draw a line...

A strange idea to allow only videos of digital performances. Pretty boring seeing someone play on a digital... And IMO we should leave videos to YouTube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am 

techneut wrote:
alf wrote:

I don't think we can do that, however much we'd like it. Ever more people play digital, including yourself. Also, how do we know something is digital or not ? Often, you can't tell the difference and have to rely on the submitter's word. Seems impossible to draw a line...

A strange idea to allow only videos of digital performances. Pretty boring seeing someone play on a digital... And IMO we should leave videos to YouTube.

Well, all in all I agree with you, I guess I'm not good as devil's advocate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

alf wrote:

I am relieved to hear there is something you are not good at :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:06 pm 

techneut wrote:
alf wrote:

I am relieved to hear there is something you are not good at :P

Hehe, I am prone to utter about what I know and fall silent upon the rest. So I suspect I give a skewed impression of myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

alf wrote:
Hehe, I am prone to utter about what I know and fall silent upon the rest. So I suspect I give a skewed impression of myself.

:lol:
I prefer to phrase that slightly differently and sometimes say
"The reason I don't talk so much is because I talk only about things I know about"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:17 pm 

techneut wrote:
alf wrote:

I prefer to phrase that slightly differently and sometimes say
"The reason I don't talk so much is because I talk only about things I know about"

Anyway, both are Wittgenstein revisited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

alf wrote:

* Silence follows... *

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:31 pm 

techneut wrote:
alf wrote:

* Silence follows... *

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractatus_ ... losophicus (go to the "main theses")

Now you can speak (a little). :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:31 pm 

Ok, I was thinking there might be a feeling like this. I actually would prefer to record on my baby grand piano if I would keep it in tune and had good recording equipment. My piano isn't really good for recording although it is much more sensitive to articulation and other subtle expressions which can sound funny on my digital.

I have to admit thought there seems a bit if irony here since I first heard of pianoteq via pianosociety!

techneut wrote:
I don't care at all for these new technologies where one 'performance' can be made to sound like played on a Steinway, Bosendorfer, Barrel organ, or what else. I understand the results can be brilliant, and the possibilities exhilarating. Still I think this is not the way things should be going. But hey, I said that when the steam trains were first invented, and that didn't help either.

I guess this is a technology train we can't stop. To heck with acoustic pianos going out of tune. All you need is a midi keyboard and a sample librray of your choice. Hmmm....