Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: I would like not stress when I am recording
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:47 pm 

:?

Hello,

I begin to have a repertoire with severals pieces and I would like to record them for my familly, my friends and you :wink:

I know my technical limits but for the most easily pieces, I don't to achieve my aim when I'm playing and recording : I stress. My left hand is heavy and my playing begin hesitant because I don't want to play the wrong notes...

I leave two samples below, could you help me ?...
I am confused... :roll:

Chris

the Waltz n°19 opus posthume by F. Chopin
Feuillet d'Album n°1 opus 45

at http://www.piano-ocean.net/home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure why you are confused. I listened to your Chopin and it is nice! You already mention that your left hand is bit heavy. I think the tempo is fine, and I hear a little rubato. Maybe even more would be better. Perhaps you could push the tempo a little on the parts where the RH is doing the little runs, and also when it switches to major. Then make the dynamics softer when it comes back to minor.

As far as recording goes - yes, I still get a little nervous when I turn on the button. But after 10,000 takes, it's turned into frustration. You just have to keep at it. Eventually you will get something that is decent.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:36 pm 

One tip would be to ALWAYS record. That way you would get used to being recorded
and eventually become quite comfortable with it. You would also capture the times
when everything comes together just right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:23 pm 
bclever wrote:
One tip would be to ALWAYS record. That way you would get used to being recorded
and eventually become quite comfortable with it. You would also capture the times
when everything comes together just right.

I agree at 100%. Remember: one thing is the camcorder on, another the choice to capture/editing/uploading.

All best,
Sandro

Post subject: Re: I would like not stress when I am recording
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:48 am 

christoff wrote:
...I know my technical limits but for the most easily pieces, I don't to achieve my aim when I'm playing and recording : I stress. My left hand is heavy and my playing begin hesitant because I don't want to play the wrong notes... could you help me ?...Chris

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

You too, huh? That's my main problem as well. As soon as that little red light goes on: my arms lock, I hold my breath, my fingers stiffen and the stupidest mistakes from the easy parts of the song sprout up like mushrooms. :oops:

One technique that I have been using that seems to be helping is to intentionally delete random recordings right after making them, even if they're perfect. This has given me the idea that that particular recording doesn't really matter since I know that eventually there will be no errors/ hesitations/ people barging in noisily talking/ cats jumping up on your lap/ doorbells or telephones ringing/ etc and I'll eventually capture the perfect five-star performance. I'll start out just recording and think to myself that I'm going to delete the third recording, first one after that, the fourth one after that, then the next one, then the fifth after that ... or using any other numbers. I used pi (3.1415...3-1-4-1-5-...) in that example. The trick is to not really know that any particular recording is going to be erased without being heard, then the cares about that red light start to fade and before you know it, you start relaxing and concentrating on the music and your fingers no longer are tightened with stress, etc. As far as you know at the moment, the song you're currently playing could only be one that'll be deleted - then you relax. 8)

I know this probably sounds a little kooky ... but it seems to work. Part of why I think this method works came from the realization that many times I'll record, and the really difficult parts come out perfect, but then a C-major chord somehow gains a minor second. :evil: It's because during that difficult part I was REALLY concentrating on the music, which naturally made me forget about that little red light. It's similar to one of Buddha's teachings, that the cause of pain and sorrow is desire. Once you give up that desire to obtain the perfect recording, it becomes much easier to attain it. :wink:

Definitely record as often as possible as others have said, since the more familiar you get with that "recording" light, the less significant it becomes. :)

I'll be watching this thread as I'm also open to other suggestions as well, since I feel that this is a very important issue to work through. Hope this helps.

Love is the law, love under will.
Aryobrand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:20 am 

Stress in this business is normal.There is nothing to worry about or be scared about.
Just accept the stress and make it your friend.
How to do that is a bit more complex.
Personally I believe it is a combination of the following:

1.performing,performing.The more you perform,the more comfortable you become

2.always take a few minutes before performing to breath and think positive. Close your eyes,and with your eyes closed look up.Then recall a positive event(speech,performance),person that you are happy to see(wife,parents,girlfriend...).Then keep breathing and transfer that happy feeling all over your body. When ready,you open your eyes,take one last big breath and go

Now,also remember that no matter what you do,you can't escape the stress,being nervous.
Stress,nervous is part of our world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:10 am 
Hi there..One thing I've discovered is the magic created by focusing on relaxing my body......the more relaxed I am deep inside, the more relaxed sounding my playing....and the more control I have...including more pianissimo, etc. When I record I treat it as capturing a moment in time. Right after I stop recording I lie down and listen for certain things to see if I've created the effect I was aiming for. Of course I want a perfect recording but I'm building up a musical journal with my recordings....appreciative of the high points and grateful to hear what I have yet to achieve. A relaxed attitude towards the process is helping it be enjoyable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:53 pm 

Have you tried meditation exercises etc? :idea: