Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: What version of Bach French Suite Would you Recommend?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:24 am 

I' m thinking of getting the Schrimir's version or the ABRSM version because of its edited dynamics and interpretation - ( And also its Size bigger clearer layout ! :) (Easy on the eyes )

But Prosessional pianists tell me to buy the Urtext Version and add in your own Dynamics and interpretation ( Urtext is smaller layout - harder on the eyes hehe :)
But I'm playing this for my exams where I have to give a photocopy of the sheet music to the examiner - (A clean copy that is , without any pencil markings - ) and I have to look into the interpretation first before buying it. So I want to be sure-

What would you recommend ?Decide on dynamics and interpretation first, and then buy the book or just follow Schirmirs Version??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:01 am 

Buy the urtext and then listen to all the greats play the suite. Take note on what they do and how they do it, then "improve" on it and tailor it to your playing style so it is the best that you can do.

I hope that helps.

(get a large magnifying glass if necessary :wink: )

Post subject: Re: What version of Bach French Suite Would you Recommend?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:14 am 

You know this seems to be a popular question :)

I think choosing the right dynamics/articulation/phrasing is hard for anyone with Bach. I think the same applies to the French suites (not sure if everyone agrees?)

Your best bet is probably to work through all that with your piano teacher if you can. I personally think its best to try to understand the reason for any phrasings, articulation , dynamics. They usually serve to describe the counterpoint, the voices, the structure of the music. You also usually have many many subtle and important choices no text could describe.

Also, my own opinion it is best to try to be conservative with any interpretation in Bach. Too much of anything -- articulations, dynamics, rubato etc -- tends to make it sound a bit caricaturish in my opinion :)

Anyway, this is all just my humble opinion :)

Bubbles wrote:
I' m thinking of getting the Schrimir's version or the ABRSM version because of its edited dynamics and interpretation - ( And also its Size bigger clearer layout ! :) (Easy on the eyes )

But Prosessional pianists tell me to buy the Urtext Version and add in your own Dynamics and interpretation ( Urtext is smaller layout - harder on the eyes hehe :)
But I'm playing this for my exams where I have to give a photocopy of the sheet music to the examiner - (A clean copy that is , without any pencil markings - ) and I have to look into the interpretation first before buying it. So I want to be sure-

What would you recommend ?Decide on dynamics and interpretation first, and then buy the book or just follow Schirmirs Version??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Bubbles, please don't cross-post (post the same message in multiple forums). This is considered bad manners by many. Choose the best suitable forum and stick to it.

I would be wary of any Bach editions giving interpretative and/or dynamic directions. That means people have been meddling with it and deciding these things for you. As the others said, go Urtext and make up your own mind, after listening to several interpretations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:20 am 

I have always used the Dover Bach-Gesellschaft (Urtext) version. I bought it mainly because there is so much in the book - French Suites, English Suites, Partitas, Goldberg Variations, and Inventions/Sinfonias. All in one inexpensive book.

Bach-Gesellschaft is known for its errors but a lot of these have been cleared up over the years, and the few that remain in this edition are hardly troublesome, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:23 am 

There are a few things that I dislike about the Schirmer edition of the French Suites. It contains very few ornaments, and it states that bach's trills are played as inverted mordants :shock:. The Gigue from the G-Major Suite has a wrong note. I don't think that it is a bad option as long as you consider multiple interpretations for the Suites.