Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 167
Location: Canada
Yep, Fur Elise would be my top choice too. In fact, this song brings out the worst in me when I see a piano novice trying to impress everyone with the first page of it, playing the first page over and over while bystanders ooh and ah. I actually find myself behaving quite terribly at the sight and sound of that, often going so far as to bring them down a notch by saying, "Hey, that's good! Now let's hear it completely, with those 2 middle interludes!".........ye who dareth to impress without knowing WHOLE PIECE, unaware of another trained pianist in the room. Oh well, just bitter 'cuz Santa ripped me off yet again, so need to take it out on the odd unsuspecting pianist out there throughout the rest of the year. End of rant. Wait no, there's more. Frank Mills' "Music Box Dancer" can send me into a rage as well, however it is not as overplayed as it used to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:00 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9495
Location: Netherlands
Nicole wrote:
I actually find myself behaving quite terribly at the sight and sound of that, often going so far as to bring them down a notch by saying, "Hey, that's good! Now let's hear it completely, with those 2 middle interludes!".........ye who dareth to impress without knowing WHOLE PIECE, unaware of another trained pianist in the room.

Hehe, that is what happened to me at a high-school camp long ago. There was a piano and someone was bashing out Fur Elise but unable to complete it. I was called upon to do the job and hapened to know it by heart. I don't think I have played it since and would agree with the choice of this being the most overplayed and overrated piece ever.

Chopin's preludes 15 and 20 and Debussy's Clair de Lune are close runner-ups though. And Mozart's Turkish March, of course. And maybe the Maple Leaf Rag. Not too mention the Liszt Liebestraum 3 and Hunfarian Rhapsody 2.... But all these are better music than that inane Fur Elise which I am sure old Ludwig can't have been very proud of.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:50 pm
Posts: 7
Location: USA
Moonlight Sonata (first movement)

_________________
Link: http://www.youtube.com/jdbpiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:58 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
JBurke wrote:
Moonlight Sonata (first movement)


This...

Fur Elise
Pathetique Second Mvt
Mozart's K545
Bach's Inventions d minor and F Major
Bach's Anna Magdelena Minuet in G
CPE's Solfeggio

_________________
Good morning, my name's AJ. I've been playing piano since January of 2004, as a sophomore in college, and I changed my major to music. It's all I love now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
Nicole wrote:
Yep, Fur Elise would be my top choice too. In fact, this song brings out the worst in me when I see a piano novice trying to impress everyone with the first page of it, playing the first page over and over while bystanders ooh and ah. I actually find myself behaving quite terribly at the sight and sound of that, often going so far as to bring them down a notch by saying, "Hey, that's good! Now let's hear it completely, with those 2 middle interludes!".........ye who dareth to impress without knowing WHOLE PIECE, unaware of another trained pianist in the room. Oh well, just bitter 'cuz Santa ripped me off yet again, so need to take it out on the odd unsuspecting pianist out there throughout the rest of the year. End of rant.

What's worse is when they play not the first page, but some novice approximation of the first page.

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:27 pm
Posts: 194
Don't forget:

Bach's C major prelude from WTC1
Schubert's Ave Maria
Some transcription of Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring
Some transcription of Pachelbel's Canon

_________________
"I am glad that you wish to study the art of tones from its roots up, and it depends only on you to learn for yourself so much of it as has become known to me." -- J.S. Bach


Last edited by bclever on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
techneut wrote:
Chopin's preludes 15 and 20

Add the nocturne in E-flat (9/2) to that. I have enough horrible interpretations of it to last a lifetime.

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:36 pm
Posts: 46
for sure:
Chopin-Ballade no.1. I think if I hear someone play this, I could seriously go crazy. It's so overplayed or at least it was in canada. I remember going to a Chopin class at Kiwanis Music Fest in Vancouver because my best friend was in that class and hearing it played twice with in the same class and twice the class before that. Heard it played a few times in other classes too...after that both of us hated that piece so much! and the worse thing is that pieces stay in my head

Chopin-Scherzo no.1. This one is even more overplayed....goes crazy*

Chopin-Fantasie Impromptu. Just as bad

Schumann-Abegg Variations. Very overplayed in my school now...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
Interesting that the 1st Scherzo is the "overplayed" one in your area - it's usually the 2nd. Liszt called it the "Governess Scherzo" because, according to him, every governess could play it well. It was one of two pieces (along with his own 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody) that Liszt regularly refused to hear in master classes.

That being said, I do wonder why people always go for the 1st ballade. Is it easier than the 4th? Both are too difficult for me, so I can't judge. Anyway, I still love the 1st, even if it is overplayed. It's an awesome piece. I just like the 4th better.

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:36 pm
Posts: 46
Terez wrote:
Interesting that the 1st Scherzo is the "overplayed" one in your area - it's usually the 2nd. Liszt called it the "Governess Scherzo" because, according to him, every governess could play it well. It was one of two pieces (along with his own 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody) that Liszt regularly refused to hear in master classes.

That being said, I do wonder why people always go for the 1st ballade. Is it easier than the 4th? Both are too difficult for me, so I can't judge. Anyway, I still love the 1st, even if it is overplayed. It's an awesome piece. I just like the 4th better.


opps...my mistake, yes it is the 2nd not the 1st Scherzo that is overplayed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
Ha, all is right with the world then. :lol:

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 2388
Location: Obamanation, unfortunately...
La Campenella (or however you spell it)...when I first heard it, I thought it was very beautiful...but then after the second time it started to grind my gears

Chopin 10/1 and 25/1

_________________
Madam, what makes you think that I play with my hands?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 2388
Location: Obamanation, unfortunately...
Entry-level Rachmaninov: C# Minor Prelude

_________________
Madam, what makes you think that I play with my hands?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 2388
Location: Obamanation, unfortunately...
Clementi Sonatina Op. 36 no. 1

_________________
Madam, what makes you think that I play with my hands?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:07 am
Posts: 135
The second scherzo and first ballade are both overplayed, admittedly... BUT they have great reason to be! I always love to hear them played, as long as it's played well.

I feel the same way about the Waldstein and the Appassionata. Fur Elise, however.. I think I wouldn't mind it if I never heard it again.

About the 1st ballade vs. 4th ballade... the 4th is by far the most difficult of the 4, both technically and musically. I think, roughly, from easiest to most difficult it should go something like 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 4th. Maybe the 2nd and 3rd could be switched... but the 4th is definitely the hardest, yeah.

....................the most beautiful too though :D

_________________
The sentence below this is false.
The sentence above this is true.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group