Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Forum Markers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:16 pm 

Lately, after I read one post, when I come out of that thread, all of the new posts have been marked read. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any way to fix it, in my settings, or in the admin settings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:21 am 
Site Admin

That's kind of weird! I'll dig around a little and see if I can find the problem.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:07 am 

Thank you Monica. <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:58 am 
Site Admin

well...nothing to thank me for. There is nothing amiss in your profile, so I don't know why you have this problem. Sorry, Terez. Are you using a different browser? Different computer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

It's not just you. Terez. Just discovered that the same thing happens to me. I never paid attention to it before, because I watch dates and times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:29 pm 

Hmm, check the admin settings whenever you're bored and see if there is a time-out or something. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:52 am 

Hmm, I'm starting to think that maybe it only happens in the audition room...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:31 pm 

Must be universal ... I have same prob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have this problem :?
Then again I am logged in as admin, so things may be different.
Then again Monica is admin too, so there should be no difference. I don't know of any forum settings that would influence this. I most always use 'View posts since last visits and that always works. Unless there are none, of course. Occasionally I look at the dates of the last post in each forum.

I wonder if there is something that you people do different ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:52 am 
Site Admin

The feature is cookie based which means that you automatically download a cookie to your browser which controls the behaviour. If you, for instance, use different computers, this feature will not work and for any discrepancy the feature recognizes, it will reset and all threads will be marked as read. There are several reasons the feature will find these discrepancies:
- Use of different computers.
- Use of different browsers.
- Your browser removes sensitive data when you close down your browser or computer (this can be adjusted in your browser settings).
- Your firewall/antivirus software recognizes this cookie as a security problem and removes the data in the cookie or the cookie itself.

I have also noticed another behaviour in this feature that is a bit confusing. If you have not been logged on for a while and you return and see a lot, or all of the main index threads as unread and you go in to for instance the Audition Room and post in a couple of threads. Next time you visit the forum, all other main index threads but for the Audition Room (where some people has added replies or new topics) are marked as unread and only replies in the topics where you have been posting and have new posts are marked as unread (in for instance Audition Room). This only happens to me when I have not been around for a while and I believe it has to do with that you have not posted anything yourself in any other topics quite some time. A bit annoying.

I tried to google around for information and possible adjustments but could not find anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:16 am 

Thank you for looking into it, Robert. I think my problem may be that I don't have any one internet service that is consistent, and I have to switch back and forth between 2 or 3 choices, whether I'm at school or at my mom's for the holidays like I am now.