Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Is the Piano your hobby or livlihood?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:41 am 

More recently it has been my livelihood. I have been playing for the Suzuki violin academy at Missouri Southern State University- and am playing a book recital- possibly two more book recitals.
I also teach four students a week. If I were more aggressive- it would be more. But, for now, I guess four is enough. I have my first adult student this year as well. Things are growing- steadily though slowly. :) I plan to go into substitute teaching as another means of income. I live with my family and don't have many bills right now- so I am working at becoming more independent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:20 pm 

minor hobby for me

Post subject: :)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:15 pm 

cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:22 pm 

Livelihood for sure. About 99% of my free time i use to practice piano, study music, read biographies of composers, and tune pianos for extra money.

Post subject: Nice
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:55 am 

It is interesting to hear how everyone is using it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:29 pm 

Music is my career, and the piano is at the center of my musical world. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:34 pm 

Ah- mine is too, along with flute. :)

Post subject: A Piano for sale and Criticism wanted
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:59 am 

Hello-
I have seen this add, and just now have emailed the people a question. I am not even sure if they're in my area or not, but they are selling this piano. While I would love to own a grand, I am having a hard time wanting to get rid of my mom's current piano that I use to teach on. However, as of now I am not in my own space and therefore have to comply to her wishes and wants. I love her upright Kimball, though I also love a piano of my own. So, it's a tough place I am in! We already have another piano in our garage, because my sister got an old sturdy upright for free that my brother is working on. Anyway, that was a long story, but here is the add from craigslist.
Can you tell me what you know about this piano?

If I don't get it myself, I may suggest it to my new boss and see if it's something she's interested in for the school.

thanks

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/msg/1296076893.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

$700 for a large grand like that? Something is fishy there, I think. I have never heard of a Hardman piano, though. You should check it out in Larry Fine's Piano Book.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:54 pm 

Pianos made under the Hardman name were manufactured by Aeolian, a company which is no longer in business (closed in 1985). The pianos from its New York plant were okay most of the time, but the instruments made in their Tennessee plant were junk.

I'm with Ms. Monica, I'd be sure to have a capable technician check this piano out before handing over the cash. I would be particularly careful that the piano has not been subjected to humidity and temperature extremes - the finish of the piano may indicate that. I'd also be worried about the pinblock, too.

I wish you the best of success in your piano search! Let us know how everything turns out.

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:10 am 

Ok- thanks. I'm not quite ready to buy a piano, but I'm going to get closer when I start working my job this fall. :) Summer must be the slowest months for piano teachers!
The piano looked nice, so I thought I'd ask here, and see if you knew anything about it, as I had never heard of the brand before. I will have to check into that book- Monica, thanks.
I believe I have found the proper recording setup now on my piano, so that may keep me occupied for the time being. Now to only have a piece good enough to put up here. Grr... Fingers seem to get jumbled even worse when I'm recording.
Looks like the society is getting closer to the goal. Maybe you'll pass it. Do you have to have the payment done at a certain time, or is this a year round fundraiser?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:13 am 

Deleted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:29 am 
Site Admin

tonks001, what's with the dental advertising stuff ? Seems rather out of place here. Are you posting here just to plug some business ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:26 pm 

God is my life. But the piano is my livlihood for sure. Either that, or music in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:08 am 

Thankfully, Bach and many other composers wrote for the church (the cantatas and orgelbüchlein come to mind) so there is great opportunity to combine the two. I went to one church and instead of opening in prayer, they opened with a Haydn concerto (Concerto 11 in D for those interested - yes, the whole thing!)