Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:17 am 

I thought scriabin had an injury of his hand when he practiced the liszt sonata

is that true?

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:58 am 
Site Admin

rachmaninoff wrote:
I thought scriabin had an injury of his hand when he practiced the liszt sonata

is that true?

Yes it is true (but for that it was the Don Juan Fantasie) and we have this information on our site under "Publications" in the extensive biography of Scriabin.
http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=634

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:48 pm 
I usually warm up with a quick run through of a few Rachmaninoff concertos, perhaps some of Liszt's hungarian rhapsodies.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:12 am 

At the very instant pain is detected, stop playing completely for three days; this is not up for argument. Never practice (physically) more than three days in a row. Every third or fourth day, rest or practice mentally, away from the piano. As in any sport, overtraining is not a viable option.

If it hurts, you're doing it wrong!

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:38 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I usually warm up with a quick run through of a few Rachmaninoff concertos, perhaps some of Liszt's hungarian rhapsodies.

8)
I always warm up with a few quick runs through the Opus Clavicembalisticum. Then proceeed to practice the difficult stuff :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:55 am 

[quote="PJF"]If it hurts, you're doing it wrong!

YES. :shock:

Last edited by arensky on Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:56 am 

Quote:
Quote:

8)
I always warm up with a few quick runs through the Opus Clavicembalisticum. Then proceeed to practice the difficult stuff :lol:

child's play....

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:39 pm 

If you are at a Conservatori You need to practice 6 houres a day (they told me that there) but if you don't play for a day every week I don't think they will accep that do they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:43 pm 

Well I dont know if this will lead to injury (but it might)....my hands at this time of the year are cold, but the rest of me is warm. This leads my hands to become stiff.

Is there a doctor in the house? Or anyone else who shares the same problem? (especially those who live in the northern part of the world...not you Floridians or Arizonians who complain when the tempurature is at 60degrees :evil: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:55 pm 

juufa72 wrote:
Well I dont know if this will lead to injury (but it might)....my hands at this time of the year are cold, but the rest of me is warm. This leads my hands to become stiff.

Is there a doctor in the house? Or anyone else who shares the same problem? (especially those who live in the northern part of the world...not you Floridians or Arizonians who complain when the tempurature is at 60degrees :evil: )

Hey! It's snowing right now! True, the sun is out :shock: and it will warm up this afternoon to about 54 fahrenheit (about 26 celcius I think) and the low tonight is forecast 28 F or about -2 celcius.

I had a student with this problem here in "sunny arizona" :P and I simply had him rub his hands together or keep them in his pockets. I think someone previously in this thread suggested those thermal sand packets or whatever they are.

In Japan not so long ago geishas in training were made to practice the Koto after immersing their hands in frozen water for several minutes, so that they would be able to play in any atmospheric circumstance. :shock:

Try that one....
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:24 pm 

juufa72 wrote:

you need to check how you are sitting after your grand. And you need to let check your neck. Maybe there are several werbs turned!)

I got a back illness so I know quite something about backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:30 pm 

rachmaninoff wrote:
you need to check how you are sitting after your grand. And you need to let check your neck. Maybe there are several werbs turned!)

I dont have a grand piano..my keyboard sits higher than any piano that I ever played on. (When I play on grands, it is usually in front of people and my left knee tends to bounce a little bit and it hits the bottom of the piano with force) but when I sit at my keyboard I need to lift my foot (3/4ths of it) off the ground to hit the bottom of the keyboard. :x I need to find benches that are a little lower than normal because i have a hard time trying to sit on the bench and have enough space under the piano for my legs. Kinda sucks being 6'3.

I do not know what that has to do with cold hands :roll:

My blood pressure is good between 102/65 to 130/80 (depending when i measure it and what i have done prior to measuring). My resting heart beat is about 68. So I doubt that poor circulation is behind this.

-JG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:35 pm 

as I said. Maybe your werbs are sitting wrong. Let also check your hips!

gr,

robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:42 pm 

rachmaninoff wrote:
werbs

:?: werbs :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, what is a werb?

Juufa, have you tried drinking a cup of hot coffee or tea before you play. I get cold hands sometimes too. Or you could try a glass of wine. That usually works for me too, but doesn't do much for my playing. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next