Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Piano Recital in B-flat
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:04 pm 

Hi,

I just discovered this forum, and I figured I'd start by posting a recording of my recital at Bard College (where I go to school) last semester. I advertised it as a "Piano Recital in B-flat".

Here's the last piece on the program, and probably the strongest -- the original 1913 version (with minor exceptions) of Rachmaninoff's second sonata in B-flat minor.

More tracks will follow.

~Ming.

Admin edit: Attachments removed, recordings up the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:56 pm 

Here's Prokofiev's seventh sonata. It was my second newest piece on the program — I only learned it about two months before the recital, which explains why it was so shaky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:36 pm 

Mozart's Sonata in B-flat major, K. 333.

All tempi are wayyyyyyyy faster than I intended. Blame it on my nerves! This was my first full-length solo recital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:55 pm 

And finally, the first piece on my program — Bach's Partita No. 1 in B-flat major. Due to my unfortunate habit of procrastinating, I learned this only a couple weeks before my recital, so thank god I didn't have any serious memory slips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:13 pm 

As an encore, I sang the song "Smile" by Charlie Chaplin (also in the key of B-flat, keeping with the theme of my recital!). Unfortunately, I forgot to tell the guy who recorded my recital that I might be doing an encore, so he turned off the recording equipment after the Rachmaninoff and wasn't record the song in its entirety. At least he got the instrumental solo in it.

Admin edit: Attachment removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:34 pm 

:shock: Your Rachmaninov sonata is nice. Like Howard Shelley nice. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:22 pm 

Thank you! I've got to listen to Shelley's recording again — haven't heard it in a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:16 pm 

where are you studying now?..I quickly listen to you k333 and bach giue....prokv..Your touch is very good. Are you playing on a light action grand? Could you tell me more?

Just listening to your play with out score..UI can say Very fine played and articulated....Well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:05 pm 

I'm studying with Melvin Chen at the Bard College Conservatory of Music in New York state. This recital was in Olin Hall, which has one of the nicest pianos at Bard (with the possible exception of the Fisher Center) . . . it's a Steinway model D with a moderate (I guess) action. (Unfortunately, I can count the number of nice pianos at Bard on one hand . . . most of our pianos are Yamaha baby grands.)

On October 24 (a week from Tuesday), I'll be giving a lunchtime recital in Bard Hall at noon. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a great piano (you guessed it . . . it's a Yamaha baby grand), but it seemed like the best venue for a small and informal lunchtime concert. I'll be playing the Bach—Busoni Chaconne and the Liszt Sonata in B minor. Feel free to drop by if you happen to be in the area.

Last edited by wmgan on Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:43 am 
Site Admin

When I arrive to work, I will download and listen to everyone of your recordings and it will be very interesting! Welcome to Piano Society!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:39 am 
Site Admin

So far, I have listened to the Prokofiev Sonata which was an impressive performance! Shaky, well it sounds like you sometimes doubt how to play as you were not sure of your idea of interpretation but generally, I think it went really well. For only 2 months of preparation (have you not ever played anything from it before?), you should be happy with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:35 am 
Site Admin

I listened to the Rachmaninov Sonata, the rest will have to wait as I can not download mp3's at work.

Mightily impressive, technically very accomplished, very much a young man's Rachmaninov. Could do with a bit more restraint in places - sometimes you just tear through the notes rather than make them sound and sing. Good to hear the original version of this Sonata, it's intrigueing if not necessarily better than the final cut. I very much like your thundering ending, which seems to be in the best Russian tradition. The applause was well-earned.

You are a great pianist with lots of potential, and I am looking forward to hearing your other recordings. I have to say, recording the Prokofiev 7 after only two months of learning is sheer divine madness :shock: If it's as shaky as you and Robert say, perhaps you should have resisted the temptation.

More comments later. In the meantime, welcome to Piano Society !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Have now listened to your 2:nd Rach sonata and this was most impressive! You handle it extremely well including all technical difficulties and involved, the endurance that is needed to power this Sonata all the way through and the extreme dynamics changes. Congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Have now listened to the Mozart as well (you make my day at work ;)). Yes you came out a bit too fast. Especially for the first movement and you ran into problems a couple of times because of that but kept everything together pretty nice anyway. Noting terrible and you got a very good technique for the wonderful ornaments of Mozart. A good performance as well but at this moment, I compare you with the Rach Sonata :D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:55 am 
Site Admin

And finally the Bach Partita no.1. Did you learn it just a couple of weeks before the recital or did you learn it with the beginning of a couple of weeks before the performance? In the later case, that sound incredible to me.

Very good and you keep the "melody line" consistant through all the moments. There are perhaps a couple of weak moments but generally, a splendid performance!