Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Teaching a young girl piano techniques
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:59 pm 
Hi all,
I just started to teach piano to a beginner ( 9 year old girl) and since she has finished her Alfred Piano Basics Level 1B we are going to continue with Level 2.

I am thinking of letting her do theory from the Alfred series as well but from my conversation with her mom she seemed a little reluctant, mentioning that the Piano Basics Level covers enough theory (which is definitely not sufficient).

The student is also not going to sit for any exams, so its more of leisure playing

So my question is, if we're not going to do theory, how am I going to teach for as long as 1 hour? I am thinking of giving 3 pieces a week, 2 from the Alfred and another from another book which probably is going to be music sheets if her mom is reluctant to buy another book.

But from my previous experience a few years back my beginners classes were always in 30mins, so 1 hour without theory seemed a little too long.

Are there any other suggestions how to incorporate theory into the class? I was thinking of getting her a manuscript book instead, and probably do some theory exercises, but I am not too sure if its too boring for a 9 year old.

Any experiences/suggestions to share? I am all ears.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:57 am 

Hmm, I don't think I would need a book to teach theory - start with the circle of 5ths/4ths and then get her to learn all the key signatures from that, and teach her about relative minor. That's easy enough to begin, and you don't really need a book for it. It might be too boring for her, but maybe not - I have always loved theory. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:05 pm 

I like the suggestion above about teaching her theory not necessarily from a book, and teaching the circle of 5ths. Maybe consider teaching chords, harmony, improvisation, etc. Every musician, no matter what instrument we play, should know at least some theory, in my opinion.

Here's another suggestion: Why not find out what kinds of music she listens to on a daily basis, and consider teaching her some popular songs? (That is, of course, if she has some that she likes). I find that many elements of music theory can be further explored in some types of popular music. Through the study of harmony, you may even work toward a goal of getting her to make some of her own arrangements. Also, as suggested above, you might consider developing the whole musician through ear-training, sight-reading, etc. You might even consider assigning particularly "important" recordings to listen to and reflect on for the next lesson. Just my thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:37 am 
Site Admin

I was just going to comment that your English is excellent for a Russian... when I noticed the FL after St. Petersburg :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:40 pm 

Yes... believe it or not, my piano teacher studied Russian when he was in the air force, but I never did. I know Spanish though, does that count? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Jessica wrote:
Yes... believe it or not, my piano teacher studied Russian when he was in the air force, but I never did. I know Spanish though, does that count? :)

Only if you look the part :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:57 pm 

*in a horrible accent*

Tengo un sombrero, señor.

8)