Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Edirol R-09
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:08 pm 

Hi strangers, :wink:

We have been having a little wind and lots of lightning and rain the past few days---normal rainy season. I don't know if that has anything to do with my problem. I think not.

My Edirol is playing games with me. It will record about 2 minutes and then it stops recording. I can't figure out why. Also, when I load it in the computer, I can't play the recording the way I usually do at first. (w/Windows Media Player). When I try to play it, it says I have to download a Codex. I tried to download, but the address they provided wouldn't open. However, I can play and edit in the Audacity program. Then I can export it to my computer and play it in Windows Media Player. Any ideas? However, the pieces stop after about 2 minutes. I should have a lot more space than that to record.

I've double checked the Recording Configuration: WAV16bit, Frequency: 46 kHz. I don't know what else to do.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:56 am 

Could your Edirol batteries maybe be running low or malfunctioning?

Post subject: Re: Edirol R-09
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:03 am 
Site Admin

John Robson wrote:
My Edirol is playing games with me. It will record about 2 minutes and then it stops recording.

It may be stating the obvious, but could it not simply be your flash card is full ? I had the same behaviour when I did not realized I had filled it up. Or maybe it's too fragmented. Do you ever clean it up ? I start each recording session with a 'Format card' command so as to have the maximum space available. I believe that just as with a much-used hard disk, regular defragmentation or formatting is necessary.

Not sure about these other problems but these are maybe caused by your files not being properly terminated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:36 am 
Site Admin

John, Are you still using the original card that came with the Edirol? Chris advised me to get a new and larger memory card, so I did and everything is good. I can record for a long time, now.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Thank you, thank you, thank you
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:00 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I still don't understand what the problem was, but it's working now. I went to Best Buy and talked to one of the "Geek Patrol" guys. I took the Edirol with me to show him. He was familiar with Edirol even though they don't sell the product. He looked at my sound/memory card and said I need a much larger one. So I bought a two gigabyte card which was on sale for $17. Now the Edirol records just fine. I don't understand why it started acting up all of a sudden, but at least it's working now. Thanks for the suggestion of getting a bigger sound card.

By the way another thing is that today it is much slower downloading music from the Edirol to the computer, and I have to put it through the Audacity program in order to play it. That never happened before. When I try to listen the way I always did, it says I have to download a Codex. What the hell is a Codex on a computer? I think there might be a ghost in my computer fooling around with me. I've had several strange things occur the last week or so.

Anyway, muchas gracias por su ayuda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

The problem was, that you were using the default 64Mb memory card the comes with the Edirol. That is totaly utterly peanuts. Maybe you had (accidentally) changed your settings to the highest quality, in which case the card can hold only a couple of minutes of music. Two giga is adequate and at least lests you record 2 hours of 24-bit WAV music. You should have bought the biggest one available though... I wish I had a 4GB but back when I ordered my Edirol this was not guaranteed to work.

The fact that you suddenly get asked for a codex (which is a conversion program for a very specific sound format) also suggests that maybe you have changed something on the Edirol. I recommend that you take the manual and go thru all your settings.

Or maybe something changed on your PC like a new version of your music player which does not yet have the required codexes installed. If it says it wants to download one, just let it have its way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:01 am 

Quote:
I've double checked the Recording Configuration: WAV16bit, Frequency: 46 kHz. I don't know what else to do.

Should be 44 kHz, is'nt it ?

I encounter the same behaviour of WMP like you, when I try to make it reading a 24 bit recording. Then it looks on internet for a codec, which is the file needed for reading the audio files having a given format. But it seems that the 24 bit wav codec does not exist for WMP. To check what is the format of an audio file, I make a right clic on it, left clic on Properties (I'm not sure about the English translation), then on ID Tag.