Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
This is what I did in high school, I would play my classical pieces, then play Chicago, Barry Manilow or Kiss (there is a piano ballad, "Beth" that was the rage among teenagers in 1979 ) or Neil Sedaka.

Wow, I just took a trip back in time (not in my time machine :) , just in my head). We used to rollerskate to songs by these groups in an indoor roller rink with a wooden floor. I loved when they lowered the lights and put on the glitter ball and play Neil Sedaka songs. That was for "couples" skate.

And don't forget about playing songs on the piano by Styx.

Anyway, back to the classical music topic: Maybe movies could put in more classical music mixed in with the today's composers pieces. John Williams theme for Star Wars is perfect but somewhere in the middle of the movie they could stick in part of a Beethoven symphony. I do hear some familiar music in movies but a little more couldn't hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:58 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Anyway, back to the classical music topic: Maybe movies could put in more classical music mixed in with the today's composers pieces. John Williams theme for Star Wars is perfect but somewhere in the middle of the movie they could stick in part of a Beethoven symphony. I do hear some familiar music in movies but a little more couldn't hurt.

Around mid of last century, a lot of famous classical composers wrote film music. Think of Shostakovich, Arnold, Vaughan Williams, Korngold. That does not seem bo be so anymore, although the idiom of the best film composers is not so far from classical.
One thing that annoys me is that here on TV you hear a lot of muzak that sounds decidely classical but it isn't. For some reason the programmer's seem afraid to put on the 'real' thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:49 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I was born in a family who nearly never listened to any music. I more or less discovered classical music myself. I have never really listened to pop music, simply because before I got attention for classical music I didn't listen to any music. My first classical music CD is I believe Beethoven's 5th and 6th symphony conducted by Von Karajan. I loved it and soon I started to collect more CDs. But the real "revolution" happened about a year ago. My CD collection grew so fast (it probably quadrupled at least) that I didn't have enough space, so I moved them all from little boxes to big boxes to small bookshelfs to big bookshelfs, etc.
Yet I don't understand why someone like me has gone into the classical music, while there are enough other kids in my class whose parents love classical music but they themselfs hate it.

Classical music shouldn't be dying. If we don't want that it dies, we should do something against it. Here in Holland there is this guy called Paul Witteman who IMO does a great job telling people that classical music isn't only for the elite class people, but everyone can listen to it. He wrote some books. We don't have to write whole books, but I could try to convince the people in my class that they should listen to Mozart more often and stuff like that or just things like that. I don't think it will work, but I could try...

This is similar to my story; my father was a Jazz musician when he was younger and played piano everyday of his life so I always heard it and loved it but no one suggested I take lessons, but when I wanted to play he taught me, then I had teachers. There was no classical music in the house, just my father's 40's jazz and the 60's Rock my brother and sister listened to. We had four or five dusty classical records, I got them out (Rach 2, Mozart Overtures, Kapell's Khachaturian Concerto) and quickly became addicted. I was not aware of any idea of classical being "uncool" and didn't encounter that until high school, but I've always been the sort of person who doesn't give much of a **** what other people think, I do what I want.

Classical music isn't dying, you are proof! How exactly did you discover classical on your own? I'm curious.

Actually, I don't remember. I think it was because I started playing piano, so I got interested in music.

Quote:
BTW, don't try to convince or convert your peers to classical; just play it for them when you have the chance, ALONG WITH whatever pop tunes are current hits that work on the piano. This is what I did in high school, I would play my classical pieces, then play Chicago, Barry Manilow or Kiss :P (there is a piano ballad, "Beth" that was the rage among teenagers in 1979 :roll: ) or Neil Sedaka. If you try to change or convert them they will resist, it's the way of all teenagers everywhere. Just play classical for them, along with whatever is the current rage. Some will become interested, some will not. You can't reach everyone, but you can reach quite a few if you have the right attitude.

Learn a Boogie piece, it's good for your LH and it's basically rock, your peers will dig it. A kid named "Kaasa" on Pianostreet posted a video of himself playing "Dive Bomber" by Pete Johnson or one of those 40's Boogie cats. Think about it. You are well placed to be an effective soldier in this war! 8)

Heh I will. It's just hard to find good pop music pieces. Most transcriptions are hell boring to play. Continuous ostinatos, same figures, chords, a simple melody in the right hand. I need to find some good pieces...
I can play Comptine d'un autre ete (Yann Tiersen) and that's it (and a couple of other pieces, which are not really interesting unless you have a whole band or something). I like film music and I will probably learn some more pieces from Amelie. Or maybe game music like Super Mario pieces. That would be fun...
Boogie Woogie? I could try. I just need sheet music... I know nothing about Boogie Woogie, even less than about pop music. Or maybe I could learn some Scott Japlin or just learn improvising... I'm very bad at improvising. Always I-IV-V-I or I-VII-VI-I.
I don't think that there are piano pieces which are a rage here these days. The kids prefer either music they can sing (or rap, or beatbox) along with or hardcore heavy metal stuff.

I'll try to find something...
:)

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:19 am 
well, here's a dose of good ol australia :lol: id have to say most definitely in australia um classical music popularity is low as. well, firstly its not like we have a big classical music history as we're a pretty newish country...

but its always encouraging to find young people who really do appreciate classical...its great!! most of my friends. wait make that all, dont listen or appreciate classical..the only opportunity they hear it is when i play on our crappy school upright during asssembly. hmmm. how embarrassing. dw, thats only on special occasions. however, i do know others who are really into classical...for eg., i know this guy, who's 18 and loves classical...everytime he's on msn (or IM to some of u), he's always listening to classical! he's also not the defined 'nerd' in any way.

also, i met this guy who's 16 and we chatted about classical music..haha dang it, he lives in perth :( (in australia)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:42 am 

I thinks its the cultural bought up with. Now days,the education system are emphasis on "creativity" over the classical period. Therefore why the modern music is introduced. Another word, we tried to step out of square. Thinking outside the square. Its like writing or composing a poets/music that is none traditional(claassical). It can be good in a way but vice versa. You relealise that, drug are related to creativity so as modern pop music....BUT I dnt see that classical music is related to drugs. So stick to classical music at the same time no forget about the modern music.

Germany,Austria, Poland and Italy, Russia/China they will never died out since they retained there traditional culture, where they produced athe great classical composers.(have I missed any?)