Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Again! Extremely good and passionated playing from your side!

Congratulations to the recording world premiere! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:24 am 
Dear Alexandre,

I have been interested in piano music by latin-american composers, especailly I love Nazareth. I am always enjoy your recordings and commentaries in "Sovaco de Cobra" and am deeply impressed with your efforts. I am also researching Nazareth's music. In some compositions of Nazareth, data of year of composition are not known and more many pieces have never been published, so it's very difficult to make "Índice cronológico" of his catalogue. I tried such cataloging. Please see the following link.
http://www.geocities.jp/latinamericapia ... intro.html

I look forward to hearing more Nazareth. There is no pianist yet who recorded "Obra completa de Ernesto Nazareth" even in brasil. You will become first one in the future?
Thank you!

My website (English)
http://www.geocities.jp/latinamericapia ... x_eng.html
My website (Japanes)
http://www.geocities.jp/latinamericapiano/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:36 pm 

Hello folks,
I'm sending this week's and last week's Nazareths:

Saudades e Saudades..!!, march ("saudades" means longing, to miss someone)

Marcha Fúnebre (Funeral March) (one of his "classical" pieces).

Hope you like it.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Nazareth - Marcha Funebre

Nazareth - Saudades e Saudades

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

I'm glad I listened to these in the order they are presented. The first one, the Funeral March is depressing, just like Chopin's, or Tschaikowsky's (sp? wine may be messing up my brain :lol: ) I really hope people don't play pieces like these at my funeral. I want something more 'fun'. The second piece is darling. A real 'pick-me-upper'. Great playing, as usual Alexandre!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:41 am 

Dear kaornana,

I'm really glad to read your message. You don't know it, but I've been a great admirer of your site for a long time...! You've collected an impressive amount of material about latin american composers there (it's way better than any Brazilian site on the subject). The discographies are specially amazing to me, because I nurture this (listing discographies) as a passion. (recently I was consulting the site about Luiz Levy's LPs)

" In some compositions of Nazareth, data of year of composition are not known and more many pieces have never been published, so it's very difficult to make "Índice cronológico" of his catalogue."

Yes, indeed. Not even his official biographer, Luiz Antonio de Almeida, has all the precise dates. In many pieces we can only estimate the date, or state that "it already existed in 1922" because of the listings he sometimes did of his own works.

" look forward to hearing more Nazareth. There is no pianist yet who recorded "Obra completa de Ernesto Nazareth" even in brasil. You will become first one in the future? "

Who knows? :)
I wish it was Maria Teresa Madeira would do it. For she is my inspiration for my research and interpretations.

I understand that you're from Japan. Congratulations so much on your rich websites.

Feel free to write me: afsdias@terra.com.br

Cheers,
Alexandre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:47 am 

Dear Pianolady,
Thanks for always listening to and commenting these recordings :) This means a lot to me.
Saudades e Saudades is indeed a "'pick-me-upper' (hehehe) but sooo unpianistic..!

Cheers,
Alexandre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

These two are up on the site, Alexandre. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:17 pm 

Hello everybody!
I've decided to revive this topic, since it contain all the previous releases of the series.

Today I've recorded another Nazareth tune which has never been recorded commercially: the Polka for the Left Hand. It demanded an enourmous effort from me to record with few mistakes, since it's a constant aim test, requiring a lot of concentration to make the correct pedaling.

Hope you like it.

Alexandre

Nazareth - Polka for Left Hand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:08 am 
Site Admin

I'm always so amazed at how these left-hand-only pieces sound. I really don't think I could play any of them. I am right-handed and the urge to use my right hand would I think be too great. I would have to tie my right hand behind my back if I ever tried a left-hand only piece. Anyway, sounded nice, Alexandre. It is up on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:11 am 
Site Admin

Fantastic performance ! Even if it does not quite sound as carefree and effortless as your two-hand submissions. Especially the middle part sounds a little laboured. Yes there are a couple if tiny slips but they do not distract at all. Full marks for bringing this off so well - seems to me like the Polka genre is not so suitable for one hand, and I can imagine the jumps make it very difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:37 am 

Dear Piano Lady and Chris,
Thanks a lot for your comments.

Pianolady, I am righthanded too, that's one of the motives of why this was a huge challange for me! But it was nice to "play along" with the concept one hand. Godowsky noticed that, to him, once he gave the opportunity to his left hand, it was easier to develp it than the right hand.

Chris,
"Even if it does not quite sound as carefree and effortless as your two-hand submissions. "
yep! you can see I need more time working on it hehehe

"seems to me like the Polka genre is not so suitable for one hand, and I can imagine the jumps make it very difficult." Maybe you're right, actually this is the first "polka" for the left hand I've seen. It seems that nocturnes and the like attend more this kind of techinique. Nazareth himself wrote another piece for the left hand with this kind of feeling: an Elegy. Still, it amazes me how he always tried to explore the techinique of the piano in very interesting ways, sometimes making very difficult pieces, like this Polka.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Post subject: Marietta, polka
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:29 pm 

Hi Folks!

Today I've recorded the rare polka "Marietta", which Ernesto Nazareth dedicated to his daughter Maria. Hope you like it!

Cheers,
Alexandre

Nazareth - Marietta (Polka)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds great, as usual Alexandre. It is up on the site.

I wonder - with all the Nazareth pieces you have recorded, do you have a favorite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:20 am 

Hi Pianolady,
Thanks for uploading it.

Some of my favorites are
Chave de Ouro
Proeminente
Jacaré
Atlântico
Catrapuz
Cuéra
Suculento
Encantador (Manuscript Version)
Furinga

As you can see, I have a crush on the tangos :O)

and many other ones which are actually famous (still a long time before I record them , 'cause the rare ones list is still big :).

Cheers,
Alexandre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:00 am 

How many more pieces do you have left before you have recorded all his rare works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:00 pm 

Hi Juufa,

The menu is extensive. Before I record any of his famous works, there are more than 50 pieces I can chose from, including never-before recorded pieces, works that have never been recorded on their original piano solo version, or simply works that almost never are played.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Post subject: Hespañolita
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:48 pm 

Hello everyone,
Here goes Nazareth's "Hespañolita", a waltz that, like the title says, has Spanish flavour. It's one of the never-before-recorded pieces.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Nazareth - Hespañolita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:03 pm 

quite nice. Reminds me of eating tapas in Ronda. thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

This is up, Alexandre. Good job, as usual. I like when the main theme returns for the final time at the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:46 pm 

Hello Juffa,
That's nice, I have never been to Spain.

Pianolady,
Thanks! I invented that accelerando at the end, because an abrupt mood change to the last repetition of part A wouldn't make sense to me.

Best wishes,
Alexandre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:06 am 

Greetings, I'm not sure it's the right place to ask but I'll try anyway.

Several years ago I practiced a Brazilian tango of Nazareth's called "Garôto". It's a lovely piece which always seems to gather instantaneous popularity, regardless of the audience.

Anyway. I'd like to get this one back in shape in order to record it, and I have a problem. I never gave it much thought back then (because there was only so much I could do anyway), but there is no tempo marking on the score, and I absolutely have no idea how fast a Brazilian tango should be played, or what the stylistic conventions are. From an uneducated standpoint, the piece may actually "work" at several different paces, and I can't make up my mind.

Do you know the piece? What would you do, or how do you usually go about it with the Nazareth pieces you play?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:39 pm 

Hello François,
How are you?

>Several years ago I practiced a Brazilian tango of Nazareth's called "Garôto". It's a lovely piece >which always seems to gather instantaneous popularity, regardless of the audience.
Nazareth usually has a captivating charm of its own, which is why it is beginning to be more and more appreciated/recorded worldwide. And that is great.

>Anyway. I'd like to get this one back in shape in order to record it, and I have a problem. I never >gave it much thought back then (because there was only so much I could do anyway), but there is >no tempo marking on the score, and I absolutely have no idea how fast a Brazilian tango should >be played, or what the stylistic conventions are. From an uneducated standpoint, the piece may >actually "work" at several different paces, and I can't make up my mind.
>Do you know the piece? What would you do, or how do you usually go about it with the Nazareth >pieces you play?

Yes, that's a big question, and certainly has no definitive answer. One could write an essay on this issue. Like Bach, Nazareth almost never wrote tempo markings on his scores. You're right when you say that " the piece may actually "work" at several different paces". This can be seen on the recordings: each person plays it in a different tempo, some times very different from each other.

Usually Nazareth's music should be played slowly (there's an uncorfirmed reference that his Brazilian tangos should be played at 100bpm, which can be very slow depending on the piece) and a famous quotation by himself telling that his music shouldn't be played fast. Nevertheless among the few recordings he left there are some quite fast-paced (a fact that can also be discussed).

I think that you'll have more security with the tempo after listening to some recordings of it. Send me an e-mail (afsdias@terra.com) and I'll send you some reference recordings of Garoto. Then you can choose them tempo that suits you best according to your taste (which is what I do).

Best wishes,
Alexandre

Post subject: Heroic March to the 18 of the Fort
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:56 pm 

Hello Folks,
I'm making available the 40th Ernesto Nazareth recording I've done in the past 14 months. It's the Marcha Heróica aos 18 do Forte (Heroic March to the 18 of the Fort), which has never been recorded. Like a few other of his pieces, this one has lyrics, and was composed in 1922 in reference to an episode in Rio de Janeiro's history.

Best wishes,
Alexandre

Nazareth - Marcha Heróica aos 18 do Forte

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:39 am 
Site Admin

This is up, Alexandre. What a energetic and fun kind of march!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:57 am 

Thanks Pianolady!

Alexandre

Post subject: Celestial, waltz
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:21 am 

Dear folks,
I'm uploading the 41st rare Nazareth: the waltz Celestial. It has many moods, which makes it a full dish for the pianist. Hope you like.

Cheers,
Alexandre Dias

Nazareth - Celestial (Waltz)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

Very nice job, as usual Alexandre. I like the 'waltzy' part of this piece a lot. And the very beginning - those repeated notes - that sounds just like something I can't think of right this second - some Mozart piece or maybe Clementi. Oh well...it'll come to me. Anyway, this is up. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:23 pm 

Thanks a lot, Pianolady :)

Best wishes,
Alexandre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:46 am 

Hello folks,
Today I've recorded a simple polka that Ernesto Nazareth composed when he was 21 (1884). It's called "Não me Fujas Assim" (Don't run away from me like that).

Best wishes to everyone,
Alexandre

Nazareth - Nao me Fujas Assim (Polka)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Ok, this one is up. Nice job, Alexandre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:48 pm 

Thanks again, Pianolady.

Bestwishes,
Alexandre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Only a Brazilian could write a Polka like that :D

What an immensely likable piece - salon music of the highest calibre. I have to thank you for making us realize what a splendid composer he really was. The performance of course is spot-on again, great how you keep up the impeccable quality throughout the cycle. It's a great achievement and a unique tribute to an undervalued composer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:30 am 

Wow, thanks for the compliments, Chris. I'll quote you on the back of my CD if I ever record one.
Thanks for the support, you guys make it all worth.

Alexandre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:12 am 
Site Admin

lisztzsil wrote:
Wow, thanks for the compliments, Chris. I'll quote you on the back of my CD if I ever record one.

I'd love that - it would be my 5 seconds of fame. Can't you do it on the front ? :lol:

lisztzsil wrote:
Thanks for the support, you guys make it all worth.

That is good to hear. I hope you'll stick around to complete all of Nazareth's works. That would give us somethng unique in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:57 am 

Hi Chris,

>I'd love that - it would be my 5 seconds of fame. Can't you do it on the front ?

Hahaha, I'm the one honored here.

>That is good to hear. I hope you'll stick around to complete all of Nazareth's works. That would >give us somethng unique in the world.

Will keep recording as long as I can, still focusing on the rarest ones.

Best wishes,
Alexandre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:19 pm 

Hello folks,

I'll be travelling for the next 7 days (without a piano to practice), so I've decided to make an effort and record the next Nazareth, while the hands are "still warm". This Brazilian tango is a masterpiece on my opinion, due to the different techiniques and original melodic/rythimic motifs used. It's called Guerreiro (Warrior), published in 1917.

Hope you like it.

Alexandre

Nazareth - Guerreiro (Brazilian Tango) ( 2:59 )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Yes we do like it, speaking for myself :wink:
Another wonderfully bouncy recording of another infectious piece. Quite possibly, one Nazareth piece a day will keep the doctor away !
Great job as usual. It's on ths site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Wow - that 'warrior' is a very nice warrior! Great playing! Your piano sounds good on those low bass notes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:03 am 

Thanks a lot Chris and Pianolady for your comments, I really appreciate them. If you guys ever want to try a Nazareth piece one day just write me for the score.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Post subject: O Nome d'Ella, polka
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:25 pm 

Hello folks,
I've recorded this week another rare Nazareth, after a long time without doing so. It's a simple polka he composed when he was 19, his 6th composition, but never-before recorded. "O Nome d'Ella" means "Her Name", and not to be mistaken with his homonimous "brilliant waltz" composed around the same time, but never published.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Nazareth - O Nome d'Ella (Polka)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

This is up, Alexandre. I like this one a lot. It's so perky - can't keep still listening to it.

btw - what is her name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:17 pm 

Dear PianoLady,
Thanks a lot. This is a simple, but amusing polka.
"Her Name" was eventually Dora, his lifetime wife. Maybe they already knew each other in 1882. They married in 1886, and Nazareth later composed a piece titled "Dora" and another one title "Nazareth", both referring directly to his wife's name or nickname.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Post subject: O Alvorecer, tango de salão
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:11 pm 

Hello Everyone,
After a while I've been able to record the 45th rare Nazareth. It's a rather "calm" tango called "O Alvorecer" ("The Dawn"). This is a never before recorded piece. Hope you like it.

Best wishes,
Alexandre

Nazareth - O Alvorecer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Hi Alexandre - ok, this is up. And you are right - it is calm for a tango. Sounded well played, as usual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:18 am 

Thanks Pianolady,

Best,
Alexandre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:03 pm 

Thank you Alexadre. As a tango fan, I'm surprised I had no recordings of Nazareth's works in my collection. Thanks so much for these recordings of your great perfomances. I have downloaded them all.

Albert@cscale.com
www.cscale.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:57 pm 

Thank you Syeles,
I'm glad you like them.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Post subject: Tudo Sobe!... (carnaval tango)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:06 pm 

Hello everyone,
Attached I'm sending the 46th rare Nazareth. It is a small "tango carnavalesco" (carnavalesque tango, or tango for the carnival) which Nazareth composed in 1923 and has never been recorded. The name is "Tudo Sobe!..." ("Everything is Raising") ironizing about the fact that all house prices were going up.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Nazareth - Tudo Sobe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:43 pm 

46 recordings, how many more to go before you have recorded all of his works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:31 pm 

Hi Juufa,
He has 212 compositions, so we have a few more years to go!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next