Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Touching?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:40 pm 
Hello pals
I'm new here and I've a question.
My piano is 20 year old upright Yamaha. It has soft touching. Every time I go for my piano lessons, I cannot express the music in front of my instructor as I always do at home.
My instructor told me that it doesn't matter but your skills while my friends advised to find a new one ASAP. What do you guy think?
Thanks in advance. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 am 

Given the choice of light action and firm action (what you call touch), most teachers would recommend a firm action for students. It affords the pianist better training, control and evenness in playing. Also, if you are accustomed to playing a firm action, adjusting to a piano elsewhere with a lighter action is quite easy. Obversely, if you are used to a light action and must adjust elsewhere to a firm action, adapting quickly and effectively is far more difficult.

Post subject: Re: Touching?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:26 am 

I agree with Rachfan. I recently had my piano rebuilt and had the keys reweighted and a new action installed. It came out somewhat firmer than it was before the rebuild. My rebuilder urged me to take some time to get used to the new action before having him modify it to "lighten it up." Many other pianists, with far superior skills than my own, have played it and adore the touch on my piano. I'm still getting used to it, but I find that I have adapted quite well and it is easier now to go to a lighter piano and adjust than it was before to go from my old action which was probably too light, and go to a firmer action.