Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Composer Biographies.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:31 pm 

Hello all,

I hope all is well. As I was laying in bed last night, I was giving thought about spring cleaning. My mind went adrift and the idea of recording the composer biographies entered into my thought.

What are your thoughts in having someone, preferably with a booming Morgan Freeman-type voice, record themselves reading the composer biographies? Then attach the files to the composer page with a mp3 hyperlink.

Sure, it's not the greatest idea in the world. But it is an idea nevertheless.

Take care,

-jg

p.s. Will either of you, Mr. Robert, Mr. Techneut, or Mrs. Pianolady ever clean out the forum and start anew? Perhaps there were submissions in the audition room that were overlooked and forgotten about? Once summer vacation arrives, I could page through the A.Room and look for these forgotten recordings. Then after that, it could be "spring cleaned". :wink:

p.p.s. Again, just another idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:59 pm 

mmmh....in general I don't dislike your idea, but have you ever thought of the additional (and in my opinion completely unnecessary) traffic which those biographies will cause? And then, who in the world will be able to lent his gordonfreeman voice for the biographies :wink: ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

:D. This is an interesting idea. Not sure who has a voice like that, for sure not me even though I know Chris like the way I pronounce Scarlatti with the typical Swedish r (and Scottish).

Perhaps we have a member who can provide us with the voice and compile the speech book?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

You can sound like anyone you want to with a 'voice changer' on your computer. Not sure that's what it is called, but my son has one on his computer.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:42 pm 

If I play with my voice enough, I can get it fairly low.

I doubt it'd be low and booming at the same time though.

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:00 pm 

it does not necessarily have to be a low or booming voice. Perhaps a pleasant woman's voice would suffice.

Now I will counterargue my idea with questions: What is the point of recording the biography if the visitor can just read it? (However, one can argue that there are "lazy" people who would want the biographies read for them).

Secondly, I can be sure that most visitors to the site skip over the biographies and go right for the recordings. "An instant gratification" if you will. Just like skipping the "warm-ups" and go to the "scoring of the goal"...

Again, just an idea to be tossed around thie society.

-jg

p.s. (thanks Nathan Coleman, your innuendos are spreading like a virus in this forum) :wink: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:11 pm 

I'm so glad you added the p.s. ... my mind was exploding from all the possible ways to go! *sheesh* so many perversities, so little time! hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Missed this thread.

Indeed it is an idea. That is the best I can say about it :wink:

Actually if you want a computer voice to boom out the text on the screen, you can start Microsoft Narrator or similar software. That way you don't have to get out of bed and can think up some more great ideas :P

As for cleaning, the procedure is to clean up Audition Room attachments after they've gone on the site. Some debris remains however, like alternate versions etc. I will do another bulk cleaning one of these days.