Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Post your own picture here!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:44 am 
Any one who is intrested to share their own picture can post it here!

I might do the start with a few year old picture of me.

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, I'm going to try this. The first picture is with my whole family. Guess which one is me. The second picture is me with my two boys.

Post subject: Stuart & Sons Piano
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:38 am 
Hello fellow members,

Earlier this week I posted a photograph of Yours Truly, and it was found to be way to large upon being submitted to this forum.

Instead of sending a second portrait, I am enclosing the photograph of a piano that is used as the desktop photograph on my computer. You will be looking at a picture of Australian piano builder Stuart and Son's gorgeous 98 key piano. THIS is the instrument that I lust after, in my heart!

At first glance, you may simply agree this is a beautiful instrument. Upon closer inspection, you will observe that the keys range from the F below the normal low A on a piano, and the treble extends to the F above the usual high C of the piano.

If interested in this marvelous instrument, please perform a Google search on Stuart and Sons piano.

Sincerely,

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:53 am 
Site Admin

Just wondering... do these extra keys hold a special attraction for you - except for diminishing the risk of hurting your knuckles on the sideboard when you need to plunge into the lowest A ? I have never so far come across a piece that needs any additional keys - have you ?

Post subject: Extra Keys on Pianos
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:31 pm 
Hello Chris,

Of course, traditional piano literature does not extend the notation beyond the usual 88 keys.

The fascination I have for extra keys involves playing Busoni's or Liszt's transcriptions of J.S. Bach's organ recordings on the piano.

In addition, Busoni's transcription of JSB's Chaconne has, on the last page a series of descending lowest piano octaves ---- D, C, Bb, A, ... and proceeds to fall short on the final G, because one does not exist, save for Bosendorfers and Stuart & Sons instruments. When I perform the Bach-Busoni Chaconne, I (being the piano tuner) DE-Tune the lowest B natural down to low G!!! In that way, I can create a mini-Bosendorfer sound to the ending of the piece! Besides, B natural is not used in this piece (D minor wherein the B's are flatted.)

The other reason I am so fascinated with extended keyboards ... involves the sonority of the piano. When the sustain pedal is depressed, all dampers are raised as expected. The raised-damper condition allows ALL strings whose natural resonant modes coincide with the regular notes being played ... to vibrate in sympathetic motion with the original notes.

The above paragraph addresses WHY electronic pianos sound so weak when playing with the sustain pedal depressed -- they only "sustain" the notes being depressed at the time, whereas a good piano's strings create a literal symphony of sound.

Here is a simple experiment for you to try on your own piano. It consists of two variations of the same sympathetic vibration theme.

Slowly depress C3, such that only its damper is released but the string is not vibrating. Whilst holding down C3, then hit the lowest C with a sharp attack, and listen to what happens. You should be able to hear the C3 pitch ring out, even though you did not hit it with the hammer.

Next try the same thing with G4, except strike the LOWEST C -- this time you will hear the G ring out, despite "only" having hit the lowest C note.

As a variant to the above, slowly depress the lowest C key, allowing its damper to release, and the string does not vibrate. Next hit a C3 or a G4 or any number of other tones, either singly or together. You will hear those very same tones in the "non-struck" low C. In reality, the low C string ALREADY CONTAINED those extra harmonics, but most people are not able to recognise, unless revealed by these party tricks!

Going one step further, it is this application of sympathetic vibration that adds to the tonal pallete of a gorgeous piano.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:54 am 
Site Admin

A couple of newly taken pictures on me and my family.

Post subject: Re: Stuart & Sons Piano
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:09 am 
Site Admin

jcfeli wrote:
Earlier this week I posted a photograph of Yours Truly, and it was found to be way to large upon being submitted to this forum.

Perhaps I misunderstood you as I thought it was you who asked for help removing the picture. In my eager to help, I simply removed it. It would be no problems at all having it in this topic and it is kind of interesting to see how you all look ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Cute kids, Robert! You have a nice looking family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:27 pm 

Reminds me of Romanticism :roll: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Cute kids, Robert! You have a nice looking family.

Yes very nice...but they are usually like this :twisted:.

And you seem to have a nice family as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

A very artful and atmospheric photograph Julius. But it doesn't help much ... it could be anyone really. I guess you prefer to remain incognito.

I must admit there is no love lost between me and the camera. But here's one which is not too bad, me having a stylish lunch in Rome last year. I cut out a part of this one to use on my page on the site.

As well as one of the family - not sure what they were doing there.

Pics of the dog, rabbit, chickens and ducks will be sent by private request :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Ha, ha, ha, Robert. Those are funny pics. I remember when my kids did that. They still like to tackle me whenever I'm standing by my bed. It's not so fun, anymore, because the older one weighs more than me, and the younger one is almost there too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Techneut, is that all you're eating for lunch in Rome, a piece of bread? :lol:
Nice pictures. And nice family. It seems having two kids is common here on the forum.

(I can send anyone a picture of my fish, if requested) :)

Post subject: Fish.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:10 pm 
Hello PianoLady,

I would love to see a photograph of your fish -- then perhaps I could submit a recording of St. Saens' "The Fishes" from his Carnaval of the Animals.

Cheers,

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:59 pm 

techneut wrote:
A very artful and atmospheric photograph Julius. But it doesn't help much ... it could be anyone really. I guess you prefer to remain incognito.

Ooh so someone has decided to make fun of my way of self portraiture. I beg to differ!!! :lol:

Here is the proof Mr. Breemer. If you look closely you will see that I am sporting the same Peacoat and a nice shirt with the word "Holland" AND the most obvious piece of paper!

here is another one (and yes I did have clothes on, but no shirt because it is pretty darn hot in summer without air conditioning)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next