Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Albeniz Cataluna (Curranda) Op.47 #2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:25 am 

From a recital about two months ago. A bad slip at 1:01 :roll: and the final scale gets scrambled but this performance is not too bad at all imo. Piano is a Baldwin 5' 10" grand mfd. circa 1980, the same piano as in my recordings of Gnossienne 3, Granada and Scarlatti K.380. The piano just had an extensive overhaul with a full regulation and the hammers filed. Quite an improvement, it sounds like a completely different instrument I think.

Comments and criticism welcomed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Another good one ! Lovingly played, and with Spanish temperament where needed. Interesting you observe the repeat, I've never done that. Or is it written out in your score ?

The couple of slips you mention are not very distracting, you can blame them on your enthousiasm ;-) Only thing that stands out a bit are the LH 16th notes in the middle section, they don't sound all too secure, and a bit lumbering.

Now for the unavoidable review of the reading mistakes :wink:
In the crescendo dotted triplet leading up to the forte (bars 30 and 62) you persistently muck up the LH, and in fact I think all 4 times are slightly differently done. IN bars 71-74, the LH has a E flat, not an E. I have to admit though that the E does not sound at all bad, and in fact seems to add some extra spice and contrast here. Could even be your score has a E natural ? Mine is the Edition Schott.

But all minor details, which won't keep anyone from enjoying your performance. Sound is good too, the mellow sound of an older intrument. I'll put it up the site asap, my Internet connection seems a bit more snappy today - fingers crossed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:16 pm 

Better than I can do. I could not hear the mistakes which Mr. Breemer mentioned. To me it sounds all nice. The only things I can pick out from any recording (or performance) are 1)nervous shakey hands, 2)blanent mistakes. I cant hear that you played an E instead of a Eb. Just goes to show you how musically gifted I am :x :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:19 pm 

I find the LH 16ths to be very difficult, and yes there's an element of blur to it, but I thought this came out pretty well, if not completely accurate then musical. The alternative was to slow everything else down, which I didn't think was the right thing to do. So I bulled through it.

Bars 30 and 62 seem OK to me (just checked everything), I might have left the moving voice in the RH out in one of them, can't really tell.

AHHH :shock: I DO play E not Eb! :oops:

I practiced Eb, how strange; that's the sort of physical memory thing you remember, a black key or a white one; jeez, it was hot in there ( packed church, many windows, 100 F in the desert) so I must have spaced that. You're right though, it does add spice :wink: .

Who knows, I may come backto it for a re-record some day....

I took the repeat to make it longer, it's too short otherwise, and I tried to play it differently the second time and maybe that's why some detals are different. I took a "popular song" approach to this one that seems to be successful. I may treat the rest of these pieces the same way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:22 pm 

juufa72 wrote:
I could not hear the mistakes which Mr. Breemer mentioned. To me it sounds all nice. I cant hear that you played an E instead of a Eb.

Thanks juuf! :D

Breemer, he hears everything, has hearing like a dog a does. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:01 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Bars 30 and 62 seem OK to me (just checked everything), I might have left the moving voice in the RH out in one of them, can't really tell.

That could be so, but there's definitely a mistake in the LH, I think you play a A instead of B, or leave it out altogether. Maybe check again ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:31 am 

techneut wrote:
Quote:

That could be so, but there's definitely a mistake in the LH, I think you play a A instead of B, or leave it out altogether. Maybe check again ?

In the third one of these the LH is either absent or inaudible. The others are OK, as far as I can hear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:38 am 
Site Admin

Quote:

Whaaa, that is the nicest thing anybody ever said about me :D
I have put it up the site.
About bars 30 and 62, I wonder if your score differs from mine if you don't see a mistake.
According to mine, that dotted LH triplet goes B-C#-D and I think you start on the A instead of B.
But no point in argueing about it !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:08 am 

That sounds lively, fresh and with much sense regarding tone coloring to me!
Have not had a look at the score, and found no big mistakes by ear. The only thing I would niggle is the final run, a bit uneven. Otherwise, very good performance, congratulations for that!

Quote:
Quote:

Whaaa, that is the nicest thing anybody ever said about me.

It's true, you really hear much! Now I understand, why every time i play the piano, our dog leaves the room - the dog has taste... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
It's true, you really hear much! Now I understand, why every time i play the piano, our dog leaves the room - the dog has taste... :D

Not just that I hear much, but I know a lot of repertoire inside out. So there is no escaping the Spanish Inquisition :wink:

Yes dogs do have taste ! In our house, the dog is the only one that sometimes comes and listens to me. She'll be spread out right next to my feet and snoring away - it's ever so sweet. And soooo nice to have an audience :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:49 am 
Site Admin

I think you have a very well understanding of Albeniz's music and keep "the music line" very good througout the performance. The tempo and temperament is right according to my taste. I really liked it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:28 am 

Quote:
Yes dogs do have taste ! In our house, the dog is the only one that sometimes comes and listens to me. She'll be spread out right next to my feet and snoring away - it's ever so sweet. And soooo nice to have an audience :lol:

Lucky guy! That gives me even more to think - your dog listens and gets sweet dreams because of your playing, and my dog flees as soon as I start to hit some keys... Bad signs for my playing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:52 pm 

techneut wrote:
Quote:

Not just that I hear much, but I know a lot of repertoire inside out. So there is no escaping the Spanish Inquisition :wink:

Ah, the Spanish Netherlands! :twisted:

My dog years ago used to lie under the piano when I practiced. The clarinet would make her cock her head from side to side and she would get a puzzled look then leave though.

Seriously Chris your ability to hear and critique performances is remarkable, I can't hear my own mistakes sometimes, as in this instance. :roll: We are lucky to have you here to hear. :P :D 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:53 pm 

techneut wrote:
Quote:

Ah, the Spanish Netherlands! :twisted:

My dog years ago used to lie under the piano when I practiced. The clarinet would make her cock her head from side to side and she would get a puzzled look then leave though.

Seriously Chris your ability to hear and critique performances is remarkable, I can't hear my own mistakes sometimes, as in this instance. :roll: We are lucky to have you here to hear. :P :D 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:07 pm 

techneut wrote:
In our house, the dog is the only one that sometimes comes and listens to me. She'll be spread out right next to my feet and snoring away - it's ever so sweet. And soooo nice to have an audience :lol:

Maybe she is deaf and only can feel the vibrations so she lays down by the piano to get a massage :?: Completely oblivious to the fact that you're playing.