Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: two new recordings
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:12 pm 
on bach aria

this time i try to go faster: in the version of Aug 28th: very fast. too fast if u remember for example the keith jarrett one on harpsicord - or the late glenn gould.
but i am quite happy with the choice of instrument. speed and thrills coming more into the focus of attraction - we don't need to pay too much attention on sound itself.

sorry for the strange sound quality on the Aug 28 th one - i was using a mono channel dictaphone to record it. somehow i like this trash recording quality anyway ...

best
franzka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Well that dictaphone version can be safely discarded - the sound is just too bad to tolerate. I did not manage more than 5 seconds of it.

But the 29 aug version is not bad. Is it a real harpsichord or a digital keyboard ? It is still rather slow but acceptably slow, not comatose like your first submission. This time I listened to all of it and did not get bored ;-)

What I find bad here is that you pull the rhythm and tempo badly out of shape whenever there is ornamentation. You can be a bit free with the ornaments but not by as much as you do here. This piece may be slow but it is essentially very rhythmic. You need to make sure to 'keep the groove' as some would say here. Allow a litle time for the ornaments, if needed, but do not drastically change the pulse. Apart from that, it is solidly played, though some of your ornaments sound a bit unfamiliar. Sorry to go on about them, but they are so important in this great little aria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:12 am 

You are a very sensitive pianist and have a great deal of potential.

It's an adequate performance. Now your task is to make it better. The most notable qualities are the uneven tempo and sloppy ornamentation. Thankfully, it's correctable.

I'll make just two suggestions: use the metronome and listen to as many good recordings you can find.

The first thing you must do is create metrical stability. This stability can be fostered by using the metronome while counting the beats out loud as you practice.

The second thing to do, is develop a more musical performance. An enormous amount of information can be learned by watching or listening to the great pianists perform. The more you listen, the more you will improve.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:20 pm 

hey speaking about ornaments and such. What was that one link for a website explaining what every ornament looks like, the name, and how it should be played??? It was posted on PSv.1 before the swedish-police mishap. I think it was either Mr. Robert or Mr. Chris who posted it. Can't remember.

thanks
-the juuf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:15 am 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
hey speaking about ornaments and such. What was that one link for a website explaining what every ornament looks like, the name, and how it should be played??? It was posted on PSv.1 before the swedish-police mishap. I think it was either Mr. Robert or Mr. Chris who posted it. Can't remember.

thanks
-the juuf

Here it is:
http://www.iment.com/maida/familytree/h ... tation.htm

I agree with Techneut about the rhythm. It must be clock steady right through this piece for the very end. Otherwise it is well played (only listened to the carefull to the the 0829 version). My advice would be to play this to metronome.