Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:51 pm 

Hi all,,,

I have to say I MUST :( use metronomes for speed works....ones is done. Or ONE must use metronoes at the begining of learning curve where inaccurate beat occurs in one's playingNO METRONOMes for playing . Once my mind is shaped my metronome. The musicality should come out nice and precise.

Post subject: Re: Metronome
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:16 pm 
proper tempos in abstract don't exist.
Tempo is a variable depending from expression, sound, mood, psychic images.
The "correct tempo" is a too much simple convention, good for industry or academies.
Regards,
Sandro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:55 pm 

I've got the Boss Dr. Beat digital metronome, it is a thing of beauty. It can count the
eighths, sixteenths, triplets, play in 4/4, 3/4, 6/8, etc... and place accents wherever you want.
Plus it can do it with a voice that will drive your dogs mad! I live by myself so I am able
to just leave it on all the time (sometimes). Doing that helped me develop a really strong
groove when I played bass more. I've got a constant click-track in my head now.
At least it drowns out the voices. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:58 am 

pianolady wrote:
I now use my metronome regularly. My teacher insisted I use one and I’m glad he did. When I’m learning a piece, we set the metronome on a very, very slow tempo and I cannot bump it up until I can play through the piece perfectly. Click by click it goes until I am able to play at the correct tempo. It’s really helped me a lot, and made more efficient use of my practice time.

This is exactly what my teacher does. And it really works fine.

And, for who might be interested: Another thing he insists on is to stimulate me to play "blind", without looking at my hands at all.

Rene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:57 am 

Metronomes are NECESSARY! I've played with mine so often, that now on solo pieces I generally don't, because when I do I'm right on beat anyway. But I use it when practicing for any ensemble pieces I'm working on. There's nothing more irritating than trying to put together an ensemble, and somebody's rushing or dragging! It's a way of making sure that my tempo is steady and in the correct range for the piece.

It's also invaluable if you ever have to follow a conductor (I play for several choirs). It's a great way to learn to take 'someone elses' beat.

As for playing mechanically - once I know my tempo's right and steady, I concentrate on expression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:39 pm 

hasekamp wrote:
And, for who might be interested: Another thing he insists on is to stimulate me to play "blind", without looking at my hands at all.

I don't want this to get off topic, but I did want to mention that I think it's really silly when teachers force their students to NEVER look at their hands. There are some passages where it is necessary to watch different things... On the other hand, in some places (the octave jumps in the right hand near the end of Liszt's Mephisto Waltz, the octave jumps in the left hand in the coda of Chopin's 3rd Scherzo, the last chords of Chopin's 2nd scherzo, etc) where it's good to practice without relying on seeing. When I have to do this, I go to a practice room at my local college (one with no windows :P) and turn the lights off... it works well!

But anyway... back on topic