Looking good. I have truncated the logs so that only the present month is available and will rotate the logs every month. The reason I did so was that the creation of the statistics tended to crash the server as the log file was so large. Also, it is a pain for the backup procedure as it needs to copy the entire file every night.
If you do this every month, the cumulative stats in their current form serve no purpose any more.
But I have not got a better solution either. It would be better to generate cumulative stats from cycled logs than from one large access log. Darn, I'll have to rewrite that program again now
I checked Chase's stats and there are more than 1000 different IP addresses downloading his music so the link must have been placed on a very famous website or into a game or something. Perhaps loading automatically when you enter a special page etc. So far, I have not been able to understand from where. Do you know?
Maybe it is used as background sound in a page somewhere. Perhaps we can find this with Google, it is worth a try. If that is the case they should copy the file to their own server instead of hotlinking to us. BTW I thought you had disable linking directly to MP3's ?
Mostly my fault. I know how this is a pain and special characters in the ID3-tagging will also make it more difficult. For instance, Lebenstedt's Schumann recordings had the ü character which is not support by the ID3-tagging program. Basically, only [A-Z][a-z][0-9][,.-_()'] are allowed.
That is most definitely not true. May if you do the tagging on the Linux machine, but Windows ID3 programs (I use iTunes) have no trouble with it. I have lots of diacriticals in my ID3 tags (think of all these Bach organ titles) and they do not present any problem in either the stats or new programs. In filenames though, they should be avoided like the plague. I am still intrigued how you managed to get Chinese encoding set for some of the tags