Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: una corda pedal
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

Do you use the soft pedal very much? I never did when I was young, because none of my teachers ever suggested or taught me it. (Yes, I know. I'm already considering taking lessons, again) Now I see how the professionals are most of the time on both the damper and the soft pedals, and I am trying to remind myself to use the soft pedal more often. But I prefer the clearer tone I get without the soft pedal. I'd like to hear what all of you fine players have to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:28 pm 

I use it very much. I think you get a nicer sound and you can play allot softer. I know its a bit weak but I don't know where I need to putt my other foot :oops:

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:41 pm 

i use it heaps! but only for real fast songs! (such as moonlight sonata 3rd movement) My piano keys are quite difficult to press down so when I'm playing fast songs it's a necessity for me =p, but i don't use it when im playing practice books like Czerny, Bach and stuff like that, because they're practice songs lol your not gonna perform them at Carnegire Hall or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:21 am 

Yeah I use it. Mainly when it's indicated in the score, like in some Chopin Nocturnes. You can add it at other times as well of course, but I like to follow the score. Playing Debussy for example needs quite some soft pedal (or many people use the soft pedal while playing Debusssy).

jesus_loves_u wrote:
i use it heaps! but only for real fast songs! (such as moonlight sonata 3rd movement) My piano keys are quite difficult to press down so when I'm playing fast songs it's a necessity for me =p, but i don't use it when im playing practice books like Czerny, Bach and stuff like that, because they're practice songs lol your not gonna perform them at Carnegire Hall or something like that.

lol :lol: ! You know, if you practise like that you will never come into Carnegie Hall 8) . That's called cheating. Either buy a better piano or practise good on a bad piano. Cheating is the worst way and can worsen your technique...

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 pm 
Agreed with LOL. You are cheating. I hope you don't think you're really going to Carnegie Hall like that.

I like to follow the scores, too. Soft pedal is required when the score says to use it or when it says to play very quiet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:39 pm 

lol, im just a noob just being playin PIANO for like 2 years =p (I keyboard for about 2 years too, but i didn't even know how to read music scores then, it was all the finger numbers and ye), can anyone tell me what the middle pedal is for?

Last edited by jesus_loves_u on Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:45 am 

jesus_loves_u wrote:
lol, im just a noob just being playin for like 4 years =p, can anyone tell me what the middle pedal is for?

That one holds the notes you press at the time you press the pedal. But it's mainly on grands, some uprights have a middle pedal with no function. And some grands don't have a middle pedal at all...
Oh yeah, some uprights have a soft pedal in the middle, it's actually a piece of cloth which goes before the hammers. That'll let you practise without disturbing the neighbours.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:09 pm 

don't need to practice with the midle padel because my neighbours like my playing :)

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:09 am 

o cool tnx i neva knew what dat 2nd pedal was doin there =p

Post subject: Una Corda Pedal truly works only on grands.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:26 am 
Hello to Piano Society Moderators and Fellow Members:

This is my first post to this forum.

On a grand piano, the una corda pedal shifts the keyboard and action slightly to the right, such that the hammers hit only two of three strings in the upper register, and sometimes only one of two strings in the tenor register. Single strings in the bass section are still hit by the hammers, but with a different contact point of the hammers.

This is the noteworthy point: by shifting the contact point of hammer upon the strings, the una corda pedal allows a "softer" portion of the hammer (the felt is less mashed than the portion of the hammer's surface that normally contacts the strings). The overall effect of using the una corda pedal on a grand piano is a pleasingly softer sound with less overtones.

Contrasting the above discussion with an upright piano, the una corda pedal is fairly useless: its use only moves the "rest" position of the hammers closer to the strings -- such that they theoretically have less momentum when they hit the strings. Less momentum, perhaps, but the harder parts of the hammers are still contacting all of the strings.

Cheers,

Joe <jcfeli>

Post subject: Una Corda Pedal truly works only on grands.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:40 am 
Hello to Piano Society Moderators and Fellow Members:

This is my first post to this forum.

On a grand piano, the una corda pedal shifts the keyboard and action slightly to the right, such that the hammers hit only two of three strings in the upper register, and sometimes only one of two strings in the tenor register. Single strings in the bass section are still hit by the hammers, but with a different contact point of the hammers.

This is the noteworthy point: by shifting the contact point of hammer upon the strings, the una corda pedal allows a "softer" portion of the hammer (the felt is less mashed than the portion of the hammer's surface that normally contacts the strings). The overall effect of using the una corda pedal on a grand piano is a pleasingly softer sound with less overtones.

Contrasting the above discussion with an upright piano, the una corda pedal is fairly useless: its use only moves the "rest" position of the hammers closer to the strings -- such that they theoretically have less momentum when they hit the strings. Less momentum, perhaps, but the harder parts of the hammers are still contacting all of the strings.

Cheers,

Joe <jcfeli>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:26 am 
Site Admin

Also (adding to jcfeli's post), it is a bit dangerous to get used to the una corda pedal at an upright as the action gets easier. I remember that my first piano teacher suggested against using it at all at uprights. Actually, the effect una corda is not correct interpreted at an upright so it is even wrong to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:59 am 
Site Admin

So do you Robert, Techneut, jcfeli use the una corda pedal much? I think you all play on grands :?:

Post subject: una corda Pedal
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:04 am 
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
So do you Robert, Techneut, jcfeli use the una corda pedal much? I think you all play on grands

I happen to enjoy the tone of a good grand piano using the una corda pedal when I am accompanying a singer -- usually in legato passages intended mp or softer. When I am accompanying a choral ensemble, I often use the una corda pedal during softer passages.

When i am performing classical piano literature in public, in a venue that seats more than 100 people, I more strongly adhere to the composer's explicit instructions regarding its use. Again, however, in the softest legato passages, I use the una corda to shape and contrast the piano's sound.

In direct opposition, I NEVER use the leftmost "soft pedal" on an upright piano.

Cheers,

Joe <jcfeli>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:34 am 
"This is the noteworthy point: by shifting the contact point of hammer upon the strings, the una corda pedal allows a "softer" portion of the hammer (the felt is less mashed than the portion of the hammer's surface that normally contacts the strings). The overall effect of using the una corda pedal on a grand piano is a pleasingly softer sound with less overtones. "

In my opinion though, on most piano the tone isn't as nice with the una corda...on my teachers Steinway it has a very odd tone. Doesn't it also mean that the hammer only strikes 2 of the 3 strings?