Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: The young youtube virtuosos
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:38 am 

During the last months I stumbled upon really amazing videos of young and very skilled pianists at youtube, and I've the feeling that they're getting more and more....
The first one who really astonished me was Jeffrey Lee(I think he posted a video of a competition where he played the poissons d'or from debussy to the old pianosociety site) But at youtube he has an admirable collection of other piece like the balakirev islamey or the mephisto waltz, gaspard de la nuit or the famous scriabin etude.
Then a few weeks later I discovered videos of Kristian Cvetkovic, another even younger pianist who demonstrate his high abilities at youtube. I think he's only 15, that's crazy.
The next one I found was an 11 year old guy called Enzo. His pieces are not as difficult as the mephisto waltz or the islamey, but with playing chopins fantasie impromptu and la Campanella I#m sure that he will reach the same skills.
Today I found videos of this 13 year old korean girl, and the videos from her first concert are just crazy, you must have seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rladmscjf8439
I think if you really search after them you could name a lot of pianists like them and I'm asking myself if really famous pianists like Horowitz, Gould, Volodos or famous composers (and of course pianists) like rachmaninoff, Debussy or Liszt have been that good in their age?
Just tell me your opinion about those pianists....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:05 pm 

There is talent posted on Youtube. Have you ever heard of Cambry? Sure he isn't that young, but he is still pretty damn good:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PianoPlaya123

enjoy. and thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:12 pm 

Yes, I already saw this guy, I like his playing because it goes nicely with his smooth clothes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:29 pm 

Oh for God's sake!!! The Islamey is untenable. Really awful. (and I don't usually use language like that while describing someone else's playing)

If I was the girl's teacher I'd recommend something technically easier and more musically profound.

Also I'd remove the damping pedal! :lol:
She's brave, anyway. That's commendable. Now all she needs is-a some a-disciprine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:43 am 

PJF wrote:
Oh for God's sake!!! The Islamey is untenable. Really awful. (and I don't usually use language like that while describing someone else's playing)

If I was the girl's teacher I'd recommend something technically easier and more musically profound.

Also I'd remove the damping pedal! :lol:
She's brave, anyway. That's commendable. Now all she needs is-a some a-disciprine.

Well, I think most of the problem here was the pedal, the sound of the piano, and the recording quality. But yeah, I agree....it was horrible. I couldn't listen to much of it - just a wash of noise for the most part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:15 am 

Horrible....hm ok here you see how easily amateurs like me can get impressed :lol: Did you watch the videos where she plays the pieces on the grand piano or those one where she plays on the upright? I don't know much about those pieces because they're totally over my own abilities but I think the concert videos are not that bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:34 am 
Site Admin

For sure, today's whiz kids, especially the Asian ones, will play anything at all to show off their prodigy. Whether that actually produces music, is another matter. Apart from the bad sound, that Islamey is a right proper mess in places, and has nothing much in the way of musicality (not sure how much musicality one can expect from a 13-year old). How right was Schumann to say it is much better to play a simple piece well than a difficult piece badly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:20 am 

Casper89 wrote:
Horrible....hm ok here you see how easily amateurs like me can get impressed :lol: Did you watch the videos where she plays the pieces on the grand piano or those one where she plays on the upright? I don't know much about those pieces because they're totally over my own abilities but I think the concert videos are not that bad.

We were talking specifically about the Islamey (her featured video), which was on the upright. That's the only one I watched - my connection is slow so I don't really have time to watch much more.
techneut wrote:
Apart from the bad sound, that Islamey is a right proper mess in places

How can you tell with all that muddiness? :lol: If I were her teacher, though (she says she doesn't have a teacher, which would explain a lot) I would concentrate above all on getting her to cut down on that pedal. Whatever other mistakes she made have to be trivial in comparison to that. But like I said before, I couldn't make myself listen to much of it - I don't enjoy listening to noise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:43 pm 

Casper89 wrote:

The intro to the Islamey was really good...too bad she couldn't s-l-o-w.....d-o-w-n.

I'm afraid to watch the other videos, but I'll give 'em the old college try. :lol:

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:52 am 

Last edited by Nicole on Tue May 20, 2008 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:48 am 

I wish I had a teacher like that. :roll: Care to for another student? Except this one is about 500 miles away :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:52 pm 

juufa72 wrote:
Care for another student?

That depends. In addition to playing with metronome sometimes, are you willing to count out loud if and when required for new rhythms? If no, the punishment here has become that if you give any attitude about counting 1+2+3+4+ out loud in English when requested, then you must instead do it in German. "Eins und Zwei und Drei und Fier und!".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:13 pm 

Nicole wrote:
juufa72 wrote:
Care for another student?

That depends. In addition to playing with metronome sometimes, are you willing to count out loud if and when required for new rhythms? If no, the punishment here has become that if you give any attitude about counting 1+2+3+4+ out loud in English when requested, then you must instead do it in German. "Eins und Zwei und Drei und Fier und!".

What about French? Un et deux et trois et quatre? Or Spanish? Uno y dos y tres y cuatro? :wink: Perhaps Polish would be better?

My teacher was never strict and cold. He was a nice guy who helped when I truly struggled, but most of the time he sat near me on the right side of the piano and commented a few times. I want someone with a meter stick and who is not hesitant to use it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:39 pm 

"fier" schreibt man mit "v" :lol: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:04 pm 

Casper89 wrote:
"fier" schreibt man mit "v" :lol: 8)

At least she managed to place the "s" at the end of 1..."ein und zwei und drei und vier" ---"a and two and three and four" :wink: