Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Piano Society on YouTube !
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

I stumbled upon this YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/dedemdeizler

This guy seems to have recently put a large chunk of PS recordings (perhaps even all of them) on YT. I guess he's got some automated program that takes an mp3, an image, and a title as input, and out rolls a YT "video". Otherwise he could hardly have posted so many videos in such a short time span.

I am not sure what to think about this... He certainly did not ask me anything and I guess he did not ask anyone else. And he does not say where he's got the recordings from either. A pirate !

Post subject: Re: Piano Society on YouTube !
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:18 pm 

Not sure what I think about this. On the pragmatic side, I doubt they will get many views, and at least he seems to have given some sort of artist attribution - it would be much harder to spot what he'd done if he hadn't.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Yes the titles are mostly ok, though very long ones are truncated and thus not showing the artist name. t shows all the signs of some automated process.

On one hand it does not seem ethic to rip tons of mp3's from a site and post them on your own channel without even asking the artists.
On the other hand it can't be bad to have someone post your recordings on YT. Free publicity and all that :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:12 pm 

Of course it's unethical, but it would bother me considerably more if they were being sold (as has happened to collections of rare scanned music). Is there any way you can run checks on and/or terminate bulk downloads via single IPs? Apart from anything else, it can't be good to have abnormal amounts of data transferred via your servers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:49 pm 

As we post downloadable recordings to be used by the public with no copyright restriction or rights reserved, I'm not sure that we have grounds to complain.

Our site does ask politely that people who repost include a link back to pianosociety -- but I doubt we could enforce that, beyond repeating the polite ask in a message to the channel owner.

It may be impolite but it isn't really even unethical, given the grounds on which we post our files.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:48 am 
Site Admin

andrew wrote:
Of course it's unethical, but it would bother me considerably more if they were being sold (as has happened to collections of rare scanned music). Is there any way you can run checks on and/or terminate bulk downloads via single IPs? Apart from anything else, it can't be good to have abnormal amounts of data transferred via your servers.
I think that was tried in the past, but unsuccessful. I'll need to have a look at the statistics.

hreichgott wrote:
It may be impolite but it isn't really even unethical, given the grounds on which we post our files.
yeah, point taken. Given that he doesn't make any money of it (or so I assume, the vids are not monetized as far as I could see) it's not fundamentally different from Facebook sharing or retweeting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Those of us who make videos know how much trouble it is and hard we work to produce a decent recording/video. So the fact that this guy can rip our recordings and slap on any old image to make a video bothers me.

At least he does not have all of our recordings. Just Albeniz, Alkan, Bach, Bartok, Beethoven, and Mozart. Which is still a considerable amount of recordings! I did find one of my Alkan recordings without my name attributed to it, though. I'm surprised he doesn't have any Chopin. Maybe he does things in batches. Next month he'll steal all our Chopin, Debussy, Granados, etc...

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:09 am 

I thought about it for a couple days then went and found his repost of my Bach and put this comment on it (nice, sorta).

Quote:
Heather W. Reichgott, piano1 second ago
Hello, glad you enjoy this recording!
I'd like to invite anyone reading this to come and visit http://www.pianosociety.com, where this and the other piano recordings on this channel were originally posted. There are lots more where these came from, created by a large group of artists who love to record music to share for free.

(By the way, it would be nice if you asked permission from the artists before reposting their performances, as requested in pianosociety.com's Copyright & License section.)

Maybe if others do similar, we the original site will get some extra traffic... not that it appears to be a heavily trafficked channel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:33 pm 

Quote:
I stumbled upon this YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/dedemdeizler

This guy seems to have recently put a large chunk of PS recordings (perhaps even all of them) on YT. I guess he's got some automated program that takes an mp3, an image, and a title as input, and out rolls a YT "video". Otherwise he could hardly have posted so many videos in such a short time span.

I am not sure what to think about this... He certainly did not ask me anything and I guess he did not ask anyone else. And he does not say where he's got the recordings from either. A pirate !

Wow. Just... Wow. This does come as a shock. And it looks like he/she has a couple of my Bartok recordings on there! Not sure whether I should be flattered or outraged :? Like Andrew says, as long as he's not making cash from putting these on a DVD, I suppose it's... fine... The pictures that go with the recordings could be better/more, not just one playing through the duration of the recording.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:25 am 
Site Admin

Robert has asked the guy to take down the videos. Guess we will see if he complies or not....

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com