Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: movie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:40 am 

richard66 wrote:
My Russian is a bit sketchy but I did get the gist of the film. (...) Gogol also appears and looks just like Gogol, as well as Dargomyzhsky, but the most impressive is Liszt, the child of German parents (originally List) who could not even speak Hungarian, who appears speaking perfect Russian, even getting the declentions right!

That's because Liszt is in fact played by Sviatoslav Richter in a wig.. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:42 am 

pianolady wrote:
If Liszt is in the movie, then for sure I want to see the movie! But actually, I don't really have time to watch a whole movie these days unless it rains a lot, or my piano croaks. Still, I'd like to see that part with Liszt so maybe I'll put on the movie while I am doing work on the computer and try to skip ahead. Thank you for all the nice information, Richard! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIhu5qH3Ec

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:47 am 
Site Admin

:shock: OMG, Andrew, :shock: I thought you were kidding about Richter portraying Liszt. But it's true! I'm shocked but thoroughly amused! :D

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:54 pm 

Indeed, I was not really looking at the credits when they showed, so I did not see Richter's name. The interesting point is that Richter, like Liszt, was the descendant of German emigres.

Now, no one looks askance at him because he appears in a film, but look at Oscar Levant...

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

What happened to Oscar Levant?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:22 pm 

Does anyone consider him as a serious pianist? The same for José Iturbi.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:12 am 

IMHO Iturbi was a far more superior (and serious) musician to Levant, and I would not put them in the same category.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:26 am 

I was not voicing an opinion and I was not comparing them. What you say, Eddy, reflects what others have said: that Iturbi was a good pianist. They also add that he stuggles to be recognised as a serious musician because of his work for the cinema. How would the musical world react if Hamelin were suddenly to star in a film?

It shows how things were (and still are, thought there too the road leads down) different in Russia: That Richter could do that and that Khvorostovsky can sing popular Russian songs without any compromise and without ceassing for a moment from being a trained baritone.

The other day I came across a crooner, this one from Azerbaidjan, Muslim Mugamaev, singing a popular song by Khrennikov (!) an otherwise serious composer who wrote symphonies and concerti (I am not discussing his political stance). Then, some days later, I came across the very same singer, who turned out to be a conservatoire-trained baritone signing Largo al Factotum as well as an Aria from the Marriage of Figaro - and singing them as they ought to be sung and not "crossover" repertoire.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:16 pm 

Curious fact about the Chopin biopic: it is indeed Iturbi's playing on the soundtrack, but the hands you see in the movie are those of Nyiregyhazi!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:11 pm 

Pianolady wrote:
Quote:
Remember we recently talked about a Brahms play? I can't remember where that thread is and I'm in a hurry now. So anyway, I just learned from one of my Facebook groups that these is an older movie about Brahms. It's titled, "Song of Love" made in 1947 and stars Kathrine Hepburne as Clara. I like these kinds of movies! Why didn't I know about it before?!
Hi Monica, that's definitely one of the Hollywood greats - I have that on DVD. Fortunately, they've added technicolor to the 1947 movie... It doesn't state anywhere in the movie, but John Rubinstein said that his father, Artur Rubinstein, sound tracked the piano music in The Song of Love. If I remember, the sound track contains Schumann's Traumerie, Dedication, Arabesque, and Concerto in A minor and some music of Brahms's Cradle Song and Rhapsody in G Minor. As far as movies go about Brahms and Clara Schumann, characters portrayed in this movie is what I associate with their relationship and intentions.

As an aside, I always thought that Raymond Burr (Perry Mason in the later years) would make an excellent aging Johannes Brahms due to his striking resemblance...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

I just saw this...
RSPIll wrote:
Monica, just invite a bunch of friends over and everyone make up the dialogue as the movie rolls along. That activity is particularly good with plenty of wine. 8)
Scott

Yes, that would be very fun. I'd love to do that and I have lots of wine :D .

88man wrote:
Pianolady wrote:
Quote:
Remember we recently talked about a Brahms play? I can't remember where that thread is and I'm in a hurry now. So anyway, I just learned from one of my Facebook groups that these is an older movie about Brahms. It's titled, "Song of Love" made in 1947 and stars Kathrine Hepburne as Clara. I like these kinds of movies! Why didn't I know about it before?!
Hi Monica, that's definitely one of the Hollywood greats - I have that on DVD. Fortunately, they've added technicolor to the 1947 movie... It doesn't state anywhere in the movie, but John Rubinstein said that his father, Artur Rubinstein, sound tracked the piano music in The Song of Love. If I remember, the sound track contains Schumann's Traumerie, Dedication, Arabesque, and Concerto in A minor and some music of Brahms's Cradle Song and Rhapsody in G Minor. As far as movies go about Brahms and Clara Schumann, characters portrayed in this movie is what I associate with their relationship and intentions.

As an aside, I always thought that Raymond Burr (Perry Mason in the later years) would make an excellent aging Johannes Brahms due to his striking resemblance...

Hi George - hope you are having a nice summer so far (well...it's almost summer. Feels like it, anyway).

So now I know I am going to buy this movie! I did a quick search for it online, but can't find a colorized version. Would you happen to know who sells it?
And you're right about Raymond Burr looking like Brahms!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:07 am 

Thanks, Monica. Actually, the kick off to summer started Memorial Day. :D As long as there's no snow, I am happy. :lol: The sails are up, and I am waiting on a new hand-made telescope to use in the dark skies on the Cape. I hope you have a fantastic summer too and hope that Paris: In The Footsteps of Chopin is in the horizon?!... :wink:

I have the B&W version, but I read somewhere that the color version was in the making, along with other 1940s movies that they have been releasing. They're going down the list rather slowly and in stages, re-releasing such these old time favorites on blu-ray, such as Wizard of Oz, and Sound of Music. In the meantime, the B&W version has stood the test of time very well and takes nothing away from the cinematography. Enjoy the movie! You may have to opt for wine, instead of popcorn for this one...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 am 

pianolady wrote:
(...) but can't find a colorized version. (...)
:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

88man wrote:
Thanks, Monica. Actually, the kick off to summer started Memorial Day. :D As long as there's no snow, I am happy. :lol: The sails are up, and I am waiting on a new hand-made telescope to use in the dark skies on the Cape. I hope you have a fantastic summer too and hope that Paris: In The Footsteps of Chopin is in the horizon?!... :wink:
Wow, that telescope sound so neat! And yes, I'm starting to plan. I recently bought a Paris guide book. I'm brushing up a little on my German these days for my job, but I should really start learning some French!

88man wrote:
Enjoy the movie! You may have to opt for wine, instead of popcorn for this one...

Ok, twist my arm.... :lol:

@Richard - I take it you are not a fan of 'colorized' movies....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:04 am 

Yay, the Bruins finally won a game... I can put away the Marche Funebre for at least another 2 games. :P

Wow, I didn't know you spoke German. Sounds tough... Great news about Paris! The best travel guides I've used are the Eyewitness Travel Guides. I am crazy about travel and I think I have about 20 of their guide books - all very good! They give a brief history, overview, interior maps, beautiful color plates, street maps, recommendations, food, lodging, events, points of interest, AND VERY USEFUL French phrases, etc... Here's the one for Paris:

http://www.amazon.com/Eyewitness-Travel ... -3-catcorr

I could teach you French, but I think it it's too late now - just use a few phrases from the guide books. Don't worry, they speak English quite well there. But, if you really want to blend in, pick up a nice scarf from Hermes and they'll just think you have a different dialect. :wink: BTW, I don't know if you're also heading to South of France because I'll be in Cote d'Azur late summer?...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next