Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Indiana University
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:35 am 
Hey everyone, I am trying to attend Indiana University Jacobs School of Music. I am now a junior in high school. I am in the progress of making recordings (check the audition room sometime eh?)

Anyone been at that school? Know what it's like? Or other music schools? Thanks a lots!

God bless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:05 pm 

I have never been to the school you mentioned, but I believe it's probably the one that my teacher's son attended. He's a fantastic concert pianist! Here's the link to his bio:

http://www.nielsonandyoung.com/nielson.html

I hope this is useful to you! God bless you as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:10 pm 

I taught at Indiana University for many years, but not in the music department. The music department is as good as any in the world . It is really fantastic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:56 pm 

I'm thinking about Indiana U for grad school (theory). From what I know, it's one of the most respected public universities in the country for music...the only schools that rank above it are conservatories, and places like Eastman, Berklee, Julliard, etc. My piano teacher got her doctorate there, and she loved it, and the head of my theory department got all three of his degrees there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:10 am 

Terez, I doubt that concervatories do rank above it.I believe the music department at IU is esily the equal of Curtis or Juiliard.I do hope you go there. Also the whole psychological climate fbere is wonderfully wholesome. I really loved Bloomington, and I am sure you will.

All my love and best wishes to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:22 pm 

Indiana University is a known school and the Jacobs school of music is known worldwide for its quality. With Texas Christian University(thanks to Van Cliburn,Piano Texas),Julliard,Curtis and Manhattan, Jacobs is one of the top schools.

With this said,be very careful what you wish for.Let me explain.
If your goal is to be a concert pianist,I would advise you study in a conservatory abroad(my suggestion is France) or attend a university here in the artist diploma program.
Why?because otherwise in any BM,MM and such programs,you will spend almost 90% of your time doing academics,taking tests and trying to maintain your GPA for financials.
You say you are in high school.Well,I don't know your level,however if you are that good as to attempt the Indiana School of music,I would recommend you forget about Bachelor and such studies until you are at least 25 years old. Why?because most piano competitions have their maximum age of acceptance set at 30.
Now,if you like academics and you think you can do both performance and academics at the same time and be successful, by all means, do not hesitate to do it.
However from personal experience,I can tell you that it is very tough and the universities(at least the ones I attended) do not help you find any performance opportunities and do not promote you.

Personally,when I got to the USA, back in 1999,I committed the error of listening to my parents who strongly suggested I do my BM. i was 20 years old back then and I still had about 5-6 years during which the window of opportunity to succeed as concert pianist was open.But I listened to my parents suggestion and I am still regreting that.I am still smacking myself for listening and not doing what my gut was telling me. The result of that is that now,for me to get concerts and any other opportunities,I have to email universities and other venues.And it is not a good way to do business,because when you are not that much known,even with a resume such as mine,success is like 1 of 20.

Sorry for the long post,but I feel very strongly about priority given to performance,instead of academics.

In conclusion, it all depends on your current level of playing, on what you want to do and of course,since you are a minor,it also depends on you convincing your parents that your decision is the right one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:15 am 

I prefer academics to performance, so I'm in good shape. :lol: But at least you don't have to do core classes in grad school....I'm knocking out all my core this summer, and then no more core! All music! Well, except for German. :lol: