Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Liadov - Opus 40, No. 3 in D Minor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:16 am 

I am now sick and so I have nothing better to do than play piano! :lol: I have learned and recorded a nice little piece by Liadov. I first heard this one thanks to a nice recording by David. I took a little bit more artistic license read, rubato. Any comments? Please don't be too rough on me, my nose feels like it has been rubbed with extra coarse sandpaper, I've only been blowing it all day. #ihatebeingsick

Audio:

Attachment:
liadov-40-3-tucker.MP3 [1.87 MiB]
Downloaded 47 times

Video:

http://youtu.be/m6c6hZVqgvU

Post subject: Re: Liadov - Opus 40, No. 3 in D Minor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

That was nice, Riley! I don't know this piece, but sounded like you played it confidently.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:58 pm 

Thanks for listening Monica! I think I could have stretched the phrases out more in some places, idk. I am happier with the dynamics because I found a setting where you can set the touch to heavy, so what was once easy to play loud, now takes more pressure. It's perhaps closer to the action of this keyboard. It's semi weighted, so there is a bit of resistance to the touch.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:48 pm 

Hi Riley,

I'm flattered that you enjoyed hearing this lament so much that you're playing it yourself now. Great!

I would have only one suggestion: Look closely in the LH part. Notice how the third beats very often display a quarter rest there. Definitely play those rests! The best way to do that is this: Play through the first two beats, lift the pedal, and play the last two eighth notes in the treble using finger legato only (with no assistance from the pedal). You'll find that it makes quite a difference in how the piece sounds.

Good work!

David

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:41 am 

David,

Glad that you had a chance to listen to my recording and weigh in. I think that last two notes as legato is very good advice and is specifically called for in this piece. I would like to try it out, but alas, I have sold my piano :( It will have to wait till who knows when, hopefully at that unspecifiied time in the future I will be making music with an acoustic. Perhaps on a Baldwin Grand :?: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:52 am 

Hi Riley,

Wow! You sold your piano. Where you haven't replaced it yet, not being able to play or practice must drive you crazy, no?

If you could find a used Baldwin that has been well maintained, I'm sure you'd love the piano. Whatever piano you decide on, and before closing the deal, be sure to have your tuner-technician inspect it. The fee is pretty low for that service and it will spare you from any bad surprises. Good luck on your search!

David

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:52 am 

Quote:
Wow! You sold your piano. Where you haven't replaced it yet, not being able to play or practice must drive you crazy, no?

Yes, crazy. I'm truly gaining an appreciation of the truism, "you never know what you've got 'til it's gone".

Quote:
Whatever piano you decide on, and before closing the deal, be sure to have your tuner-technician inspect it. The fee is pretty low for that service and it will spare you from any bad surprises. Good luck on your search!

Ok. I've heard similar advice, but buying a used car. To have an auto mechanic inspect it before buying it. After all nobody wants to buy a lemon! :P