Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Will She Notice?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:11 am 

Here is another miniature from Gerhart's Studies in Song. Gerhart writes of this one "here is one of the most beautifully simple pieces I have written." I hope I've captured a little bit of the simplicity, but I think in some places my piano is too heavy handed, or alas, maybe it is I :!: Tried to play it with some rubato as the music seems to call for it, a whimiscal mood.

Attachment:
gerhart-studiesinsong-16-tucker.mp3 [2.29 MiB]
Downloaded 45 times

Post subject: Re: Will She Notice?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:14 am 
Site Admin

Nicely done Riley. There could perhaps be a little more languid swing but that is a detail. Your keyboard does not sound too bad at all. If you think it's heavy-handed maybe you are just trying to play too consistently softly ?

What puzzles me is that the closing bars sound rather different than in my version. Has Ned been tinkering with the songs in the meantime ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:32 am 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for listening and for the feedback. Languid swing would be nice, though it's not a swing style eighths piece as you know. I guess I just meant that while I think I'm playing a consistent dynamic, some chords sound a little pinched, like one part of the triad is not getting its full dynamic value. I don't think I'd have this problem on an acoustic, but alas, I can't rent one for $1.50 an hour like I could in Beijing :(

Good catch, the G-flat is missing in closing bars. Tried that out it sounds much better. I personally like the arpeggiated chord better than the 1-2 punch approach you have of the huge stretch at the end. If I ever met Ned, I think I would like to see if he could play this chord without rolling it. He writes he has big hands, but this would seem a stretch for even a big handed person!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:18 am 
Site Admin

Hi Riley,
I'm not sure if you want me to comment here since I don't know the piece, so I hope it's okay that I do..
Anyway, this is a pretty piece! I like it a lot. Regarding playing heavy-handed--I think your LH is a bit to loud. If you could lessen the weight of your left arm, the whole piece would I think flow with more tranquility. But I know how hard it is to do that, and I struggle too sometimes. And maybe on a digital it might be even harder. Or maybe you try not doing anything different with your LH and just play louder with your RH and then lower the input setting so the whole recording is not too loud.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:42 am 

I agree I think the left needs to come down.

Quote:
Or maybe you try not doing anything different with your LH and just play louder with your RH and then lower the input setting so the whole recording is not too loud.

That's a good idea. It is insane how little control I have with this sampled digital, it's enough to make me scream. Seems like terraced dynamics are so easy, but with this piano it's either way to soft, or shockingly loud, or hopefully right in the middle.

I'd give you some tips on your Scarlatti piece but I know peanuts about trills. I listened to your example and both sounded good to me :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
I'd give you some tips on your Scarlatti piece but I know peanuts about trills. I listened to your example and both sounded good to me :lol:
That's okay, I was talking about trills on FB anyway... :)

I'm having a couple busy days at work, but I'll watch/listen to your new Beethoven video as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:15 pm 

Quote:
That's okay, I was talking about trills on FB anyway...

Looks like you got some feedback from a lot of folks there, that's nice about facebook, you can usually reach more people.

Quote:
I'm having a couple busy days at work, but I'll watch/listen to your new Beethoven video as soon as I can.

Not sure what you mean here? I have yet to record Beethoven, even though he is a composer I admire.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
Quote:
That's okay, I was talking about trills on FB anyway...

Looks like you got some feedback from a lot of folks there, that's nice about facebook, you can usually reach more people.

Yes, most of my FB friends are musicians or pianists and some are very knowledgeable regarding classical piano. I'm glad to have another source to turn to besides PS.

pianoman wrote:
Not sure what you mean here? I have yet to record Beethoven, even though he is a composer I admire.

Sorry, I meant Bach.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:28 am 

Quote:
Yes, most of my FB friends are musicians or pianists and some are very knowledgeable regarding classical piano. I'm glad to have another source to turn to besides PS.

Now if we could only recruit the your non-PS fb friends to PS...

Quote:
Sorry, I meant Bach.

It's not as good as Bach, but hope it's at least in the ballpark :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
Now if we could only recruit the your non-PS fb friends to PS...

I know....or if some of my FB-PS friends would come back here. :wink: They have become shy. Oh well, to each his own. I'm glad they are helping me with my piano problems on FB. However, I still have more questions regarding the Dampp Chaser system. I'm talking with people about it now, but perhaps I'll ask the question on our forum too and see if anyone chimes in. I would like to get as much feedback as possible regarding that system.

pianoman342 wrote:
t's not as good as Bach, but hope it's at least in the ballpark :)

Ok, I will go listen to it now. Look for me in the Composers forum.... :)