Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Freddy Kempf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:58 pm 

Does anyone here admire the young pianist Freddy Kempf?

I personally enjoyed his renditions of the Chopin Etudes. I discovered him as I was searching for various interpretations of Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata. I am attemping to learn the sonata starting with the first movement. My most recent video shows my progress thus far. Anyways, I greatly enjoyed how he played the first movement (very passionate). The second mvt, I also liked. I would put that in my top 5. The third movement, he played very well also, but too fast for my taste.

Freddy Kempf is 32 years old this year. He is German and Japanese (an odd combination), but that is probably where he got his combination of technical mastery and speed with a passionate performance! In 1988, he failed to win the Tchaikovsky Competition taking third pize. However, there were so many protests saying he was the rightful winner that he got almost as much popularity out of it as if he had won! This event kicked off his career. I wonder why he prefers to be called "Freddy"? If I was him, I would want to be called "Frédéric Kempf".

I was interested to watch the position of his hands while he played since my hands are similar in form. (Moderately large hands with long, somewhat slender fingers.) He seems to combine a mostly curved finger style with a flat-fingered style. I am working to achieve a curved hand while playing, and also to strengthen my weaker fingers. That is the dilema with having long fingers. You can span an octave+ much easier, but you have more work to do to keep your fingers from bending at the first joints while playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:27 pm 

yes, I admire Freddy Kempf A LOT. and put "a lot" in this!
hehehe

He made some Schumann and Rachmaninov recordings when he was so young (I think he was 21-23 years old), and they are SO MATURE!
his astonishing technique is never used as showmanship. you always here music there.

about hands...
I play a 11th with lots of efforts, but it took me extra work to learn not to hit the "wooden wall" of a large piano while playing octaves (if you know what I mean... :? )