Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Recorders
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:43 am 

I'm about to purchase an Edirol (you'll all finally get something from me other than text)! I see there are different models; is one better than the other?

The R-09 caught my eye as a recorder that won't break my budget. Is the R-09 adequate? What do you guys think?

I've never put my own recordings on my computer; I'm totally clueless as to what to do. Do I need special software to make WAV files? What accessories beside the microphone will I need?

I greatly appreciate your help!

PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:32 am 
Site Admin

I have the Edirol R-09 and it works fine by me and it records directly to mp3 if you wish. What you need next is a cable connecting to the USB-plug of your computer. That was included when I bought my Edirol. Next, you might want to cut out useless space in the beginning and the end of the piece. Use any WAV-editor as for example Audacity (you can also add effects as reverb etc. using such software). Then you need to upload the recording to the Audition Room and we take care of the rest.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

I purchased the R-09 about two months ago. Everything Robert said is right. It's easy to use. You'll have to play around with positioning the unit in the room where you'll record and at first this takes time. Also, you need ear plugs to listen back to yourself when you're not plugging it in to your computer. And I learned that you can record yourself as either a wav file or mp3. I don't really know that that means but the recorder will allow you much more recording time when you set it on mp3. It's really fun to record yourself. You'll probably get addicted, like I am now. Can't wait to hear your recordings!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hehe... another one joins the Edirol gang :wink: I really think we should be getting group discount by now. Though that won't help us poor sods who already have one...

I have the R09's predecessor, the R-1. It probably makes no difference in either quality or functionality.

Looking forward to your recordings Pete. The complete Chopin for starters ? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:46 pm 

I too have a R-09. But lately I have been thinking of selling it because of the lack of a nice(r) piano. Then maybe once I graduate I could buy myself a decent grand like a yamaha and a microphone or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:59 pm 

techneut wrote:
Hehe... another one joins the Edirol gang :wink: I really think we should be getting group discount by now. Though that won't help us poor sods who already have one...

I have the R09's predecessor, the R-1. It probably makes no difference in either quality or functionality.

Looking forward to your recordings Pete. The complete Chopin for starters ? :P

HA HA! This should keep me busy for a while.

Chopin: 3 Waltzes, 8 Preludes and 5 Mazurkas. Three Nocturnes opus 9, Nocturne in C-sharp minor op. posth. Scherzo No.1 in b minor, Seven Etudes from "Twelve Etudes, opus 10" Three Etudes from "Twelve Etudes opus 25"

Beethoven: "Moonlight Sonata" Adagio, Allegretto and Presto con fuoco

Scott Joplin: Mapleleaf Rag, The Entertainer, The Easy Winners, others.

Mozart: K330 Complete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:03 pm 

Is a microphone included with the R-09 or do I need to buy one seperately?

PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:54 pm 

the r-09 has its own internal microphone, however you can purchase an external microphone if you wish, but be prepared to shell out +/- $140.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:11 am 

Thanks for the help, everybody! :D

I just placed my order for the R-09! I should have it by January 10th.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
the r-09 has its own internal microphone, however you can purchase an external microphone if you wish, but be prepared to shell out +/- $140.

Does an external microphone really make a BIG difference?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:

If you have pair of good stereo condenser mics, and place them in the perfect position, it would probably make a considerable difference. problem is that once you have this machine you get lazy and can't really be bothered to fart around with cables, microphone stands and power supplies.....
That would take much of the fun out of recording. Not sure if it's worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:34 am 

I think I'll leave the cables to the pros.

Thanks everone!

PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:12 pm 

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:

If you have pair of good stereo condenser mics, and place them in the perfect position, it would probably make a considerable difference. problem is that once you have this machine you get lazy and can't really be bothered to fart around with cables, microphone stands and power supplies.....
That would take much of the fun out of recording. Not sure if it's worth it.

The problem is that condenser mics need additional power (+48V, called "Phantom Power"). That's why external condenser mics cannot be plugged in into the Edirol (since it does not deliver the phantom power, correct me if I am wrong).
Regarding lazy, that's the point. It really takes much of the fun if all that mic stands stuff must be established. Furthermore, I often wished I had recorded something live before friends. With an Edirol placed decently, it would be no problem. However it looks somehow strange if I would put the microphones and everything on if I simply play before friends. That does not look appropriate, and it robs the loose atmosphere. I too consider buying such an Edirol, just for those occasions.

Beside this I will check for the reason why my recordings sound way muffled and dull to me by comparison. Up to now I use a pair large diaphragma condenser mics, a small mixer, external sound card going directly into a notebook. I am dreaming from substituting the mixer (which is only used for phantom power and gain) by a tube preamplifier. That should make the thing more crisp (so I hope) but adds warm through the valves. Let's see.
Has anyone experience with tube preamplifiers?