Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:54 pm 

So,is there a possible interest for the society to have reps in Universities/conservatories?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:12 am 
Site Admin

avguste wrote:
So,is there a possible interest for the society to have reps in Universities/conservatories?

Interest for sure but I have no idea how to make it happen. What am I expected to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:55 am 
Site Admin

The International Society Of Collegiate Performers, which was supposed to play a role in this,
is still nowhere to be found on the web. Both these links provided earlier don't work :

http://www.iscp.excell.org
http://iscp.us/

Is this supposed to be something akin to the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, where it is stated that "NSCS has active chapters at 226 colleges and universities nationwide" ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am 

The society you refer to techneut and which I opened was shut down because of lack of interest from anyone.

I am not sure how the NSCS is doing business(even though I am a lifetime member ;) ), however the idea of chapters is about right

The idea would be basically for the Society to have reps in each city/university/conservatory. Then each one would promote the society to its own community and hopefully begin to organize concerts under the auspices of the society.Let me try to explain my idea with an example and I will use myself,since I know my area and such:

-The society or myself create posters,handouts and such. Then I would announce the "chapter" (to use techneut's suggestion) as the Texas Piano Society Chapter or something like that(the name is just an example)
-I post those posters/handouts at my university and send to faculties of other universities within my area(in my area,we have about 2-3 other universities).
-As membership would be free,I would expect to have many members join in. The only requirement for membership would be to be active on the Piano Society website with recordings and/or forum postings
-Then as the chapter grows, concerts under the auspices of the Piano Society and the Texas Chapter can happen.
-If needed, a specific rep per university within the chapter could be named and that rep would report to myself(chapter rep) every 2-3 month with a list of new members and such

Also,if we combine that with the book that is being done, the society could have its chapters membership free, while selling the upcoming book for about $20

Not sure if what I just wrote make any sense,but again it is just an idea that may need some tweaking to work.In any case, the above is my thinking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:41 am 

any comments about the above?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:32 pm 

avguste wrote:
How about this?
Two sections in the society:

Alpha: "amateur" section, in which people keep to what they already do

Bravo: "gold" section.Access to this would be by membership purchase.Something like $10/year

The Bravo section would be the one involved in my idea

This would completely violate the original ideas behind Pianosociety.

Even Robert's idea does not sit well with me. Of course I cannot judge the current debit/credit situation of the site but the beauty of the project was and is that everyone who contributes even only one recording that meets the basic requirements will be treated in the same way as the professionals that dump their entire portfolio on this site as well.

Maybe the opinions of the conservatories have changed by now since the project has grown quite a bit, but back then none of the conservatories wanted to have much to do with the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:53 am 

I think the issue with conservatories and universities is aggressive promotions and relations with faculty.For example,in my case, I have relations with faculty in Bordeaux(France), in Texas,Kansas,Missouri,Colorado,Lousiana,Michigan.
Also,what you quoted is not in discussion. I posted a better idea(I think) on october 9th

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:26 pm 

Quote:
The society you refer to techneut and which I opened was shut down because of lack of interest from anyone.

I am not sure how the NSCS is doing business(even though I am a lifetime member ;) ), however the idea of chapters is about right

The idea would be basically for the Society to have reps in each city/university/conservatory. Then each one would promote the society to its own community and hopefully begin to organize concerts under the auspices of the society.Let me try to explain my idea with an example and I will use myself,since I know my area and such:

-The society or myself create posters,handouts and such. Then I would announce the "chapter" (to use techneut's suggestion) as the Texas Piano Society Chapter or something like that(the name is just an example)
-I post those posters/handouts at my university and send to faculties of other universities within my area(in my area,we have about 2-3 other universities).
-As membership would be free,I would expect to have many members join in. The only requirement for membership would be to be active on the Piano Society website with recordings and/or forum postings
-Then as the chapter grows, concerts under the auspices of the Piano Society and the Texas Chapter can happen.
-If needed, a specific rep per university within the chapter could be named and that rep would report to myself(chapter rep) every 2-3 month with a list of new members and such

Also,if we combine that with the book that is being done, the society could have its chapters membership free, while selling the upcoming book for about $20

Not sure if what I just wrote make any sense,but again it is just an idea that may need some tweaking to work.In any case, the above is my thinking

Here is again my idea.
And for those concerned with the universities reaction, the idea is not for them to run the show. Each representative of the society would be in charge of running his section