Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Bring Bach Classical (Romantic) Music
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:58 pm 

pianoman342 wrote:
I've talked to one of them but I think they think of playing the piece on the next concert as a risk, like not many people would like it. So they stick with the pieces everybody knows or that most people know. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is I guess. Some orchestras are open to pieces by living composers, others... aren't. Two years from now is a long time to wait! :x

You're confusing 3 things here:
1) Most professional arts groups make their programming at least one or two years in advance, if not five years, for ALL pieces/performances.
2) Programming pieces by living composers at all (this is its own issue)
3) Programming pieces by a relatively inexperienced composer who is just starting out and does not yet have a long work history or a large fan base.

It is really uncharitable of you to say that because an orchestra passes on your piece for this season, it's because they are too scared to play music by living composers. It sounds like you're putting down the orchestra, which is the last thing you want to do in your situation. For your own good I beg you to stop saying things like this any more publicly than you already have.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:51 pm 

Heather I appreciate your feedback, but it seems you must have misunderstood me. I'm not saying that orchestra directors are scared of playing new music. Really, I'm just sharing my experiences on here. It's uncharitable to me that I can't get things for free just for the price of asking! Standard business theory dictates every company survives given its profit margin. That orchestras are in the biz of music performance doesn't change that they are a business like any other that delivers a product. I'm trying to be honest here. :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:32 am 

pianoman342 wrote:
I agree, it is optimistic. There are a few orchestras that are receptive to my project (namely, the ones that are into playing new pieces) but I think I will have to wait to have a major orchestra play my work. I talked to the local orchestra and was told that scheduling was made up two years in advance... I hate to think that orchestras would not touch new pieces without receiving a guarantee of payment. If it's for experience, as a player myself I would be interested purely on gaining experience alone.

Two years in advance seems perfectly credible to me. Even for solo recital work at local universities here, you need to be thinking nearly a year ahead.

pianoman342 wrote:
That orchestras are in the biz of music performance doesn't change that they are a business like any other that delivers a product.

(Going to play devil's advocate here, so please excuse me.) Exactly, and that raises the unfortunate question of why should they play your music? Not unfortunate because it's bad, but unfortunate because there isn't actually a tangible business reason why, unless you can create one for them. Your name isn't going to be known to the audience, hence it's not going to impact on ticket sales and might even be detrimental. You need to find a way of getting your name known as a composer, and I know this is Catch-22. Sadly, a large cash payment does provide them with a tangible business reason, hence (I imagine) the response.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:51 pm 

Quote:
(Going to play devil's advocate here, so please excuse me.) Exactly, and that raises the unfortunate question of why should they play your music? Not unfortunate because it's bad, but unfortunate because there isn't actually a tangible business reason why, unless you can create one for them.

What I haven't done yet is sent a short midi file of the piece in the email. I've just told them I wrote a piece, not that a MIDI file can do justice, but what I was always told in film school is that in storytelling, you always show (visually), don't tell. Perhaps that is the best method of persuasion at my disposal. I appreciate all of this advice by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:35 pm 

I think you do have to give them some idea of what you will be producing. A midi is probably the most practical way forward for the time being. I think you have a severe uphill task here, but remember - there is one surefire way to ensure your music won't get performed, and that's doing nothing. It's not the same scenario, but sufficiently similar that it might be worth quoting. I was told by my teacher that if you do speculative mailshots to music societies, universities etc, offering to do a recital, you should anticipate that the vast majority won't respond, and that getting a 2%-5% yes response rate should be considered positive. The best way to improve that is if you know someone within the organisation, or someone who knows someone. I'm fairly sure I got my first public recital largely because the organiser was the son of my first teacher. Good luck.