Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: WIP board?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:43 am 

Hi, I was just wondering if pianosociety has ever considered making a "works in progress" feedback board.
The feedback on auditioned recordings is quite helpful, and might be all the more helpful if given while a piece is still in the pre-recording session stages.

The "WIP" submission currently on the audition room board made me think of this.

Post subject: Re: WIP board?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Yes, we've considered and discussed this. Everybody agreed it is a good idea yet for some reason it never happened.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:56 am 

Heather,

This is an interesting idea, and certainly plausible. I think its normal to practice a piece and then, once the notes are right, record a simple read-thru. Without it being at an "audition for the site" polished stage. But, at the same time, I wonder if the Audition Room, despite it's name, is really a WIP board. Where you have pianists submitting redos and people commenting on recordings, if only saying what the piece needed in their own personal opinion or pointing out read errors.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, we have discussed this issue before, thinking that if we have a "Works in Progress" forum, then maybe more people would join the forum and not feel so intimidated by the AR. Can't hurt to try...if a WIP forum generates no activity, we can always take it back down.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:15 pm 

I can think of a use for it: Some of us (me, at least) time their piano tunings to when they have something prepared and want to record it. Occasionally, though, doubts can creep in and one honestly wonders whether that "something" will sound as good to anyone else.
If a submission to WIP could be "I think this is coming along, sorry my piano is a little out of tune at the moment", I'm all for it. I don't mind hearing a little tuning problem if others don't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:52 pm 

I could also imagine people using it as a way to get advice for a piece they plan to perform but not necessarily to record for pianosociety. Maybe some wouldn't want to provide feedback in that case... and they could just decide not to comment. (I'd be happy to provide feedback in those cases too, and I'm sure I'm not alone.)