Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Piano competitions: worthwhile? not worthwhile? a scam?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:19 pm 

So, supposedly one way into concert dates is doing well in piano competitions. However, piano competitions are expensive. Looks like $200-$300 seems about a normal entry fee. And then there's the travel, missed wages etc.

I did a bunch of competitions pre-conservatory, but either it's much cheaper in that age bracket (under 18), or it was much cheaper at that time (late 90s), or my piano teacher was secretly paying a lot of my fees. (Which was possible. I was her one work-study student, and she's that kind of person.) The purpose of those competitions was different, too, as I recall--more about getting exposure and critical feedback from professionals, not about getting an agent. I don't even think there were agents at those things.

Are piano competitions worth it?

(Are they just scams? They must rake in a lot of money at $200-$300 a contestant...)

Post subject: Re: Piano competitions: worthwhile? not worthwhile? a scam?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:48 am 
Site Admin

There are a lot of competitions these days. Makes you wonder if the world needs so many!
Sorry, I can't really comment much on the kind of competitions you are talking about, because I have only ever been in one competition and that was 1 1/2 years ago - an adult amateur competition. I went in not to win (I knew there was no chance) but just as a personal challenge to myself and also to hang around with other piano geeks like me for a few days. I believe I paid $175 to enter and feel that I got my money's worth. I did make new friends and I proved to myself that I could do it and not pass out from being too nervous (it was close, though.... :lol: ).

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:35 pm 

hreichgott wrote:
..(Are they just scams? They must rake in a lot of money at $200-$300 a contestant...)

On the other hand, the jurors don't sit on the jury out of the goodness of their hearts, and I think they probably expect quite nice accommodation as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

andrew wrote:
hreichgott wrote:
..(Are they just scams? They must rake in a lot of money at $200-$300 a contestant...)

On the other hand, the jurors don't sit on the jury out of the goodness of their hearts, and I think they probably expect quite nice accommodation as well.

Yes, and they do have a huge job - all day listening/judging/critiquing piano playing for several days in a row. They too are missing wages but then they are compensated for being on the jury. I wonder how much they are paid?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com